Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 07:39 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
True. But the original poster who posted that pic was trying to tell everybody that, "Yeah son, East New York is a different animal, b. It's real out here kid. Look at how scary our projects look, word up.."

I just made it a point to show ignorant East Coast natives that the projects in San Francisco are much more run-down than New York. SF projects are more run down because the City really doesn't care about it's poor people. The projects of San Francisco are hidden away from rich people, tourists and out of towners as if they don't exist. Since our projects in San Francisco are completely hidden from the American public, they are among the most dangerous in the country. If it ever were publicized in the national media that SF has some of the worst projects in the country, the City's reputation as being a "nice place" for rich folks, tourists and liberals would be forever tarnished. In 2007, Hunter's View in SF ranked as one of the nation's most dangerous housing complexes:

Hunters View - not Sunnydale - ranks as S.F.'s worst complex - SFGate

Unlike NYC where your projects have been glamorized by every rapper from MC Shan, to Nas to Jay-Z. A portion of Queensbridge PJ's should be converted into a Hip Hop museum for tourists. Oh wait, didn't New York already do something like that with a Hip Hop tour bus that takes White people from Kansas to Soundview in the Bronx with Grandmaster Caz as the bus driver? Y'all are corny! Look at this hilarious link:

Hip Hop Tours | New York City Tours of Harlem, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens! | Hush Tours, Inc.

i dont think the poster was trying to say look at east new york at all.

he was just showing the hood in general , i dont recall him hyphing up east new york at all, and in all his pics their were homes boarded up also.

and also i know your fruity frisco lameness isnt calling nyc corny, and whats does a tour bus have to do with anything??

L.A was doing the samething with their tour buses showing white people gang infested areas and turfs so you make no sense right now.

lame out of towner talking junk behind his pc , in fact forget east new york how about you come to coney island and say new yorkers corny and i bet you'll be running like this

YouTube - Thugs From Coney Island Shooting At Cops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 02:38 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,341,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here's some views of projects in Syracuse

tully st. syracuse ny - Google Maps James Geddes Homes, which is in one of the poorest neighborhoods in the US

monroe st syracuse ny - Google Maps

1300 south state street syracuse ny - Google Maps
Pioneer Homes, one of the first housing projects in the US and nearby McKinney Manor. Sometimes the whole area is known as Central Village or "the Bricks".

taft ave syracuse ny - Google Maps Eastwood Homes, which looks better than some privately owned apartments, but is a part of the Syracuse Housing Authority

east fayette st - Google Maps

east fayette st - Google Maps
Rolling Green Estates on the city's East Side and only rough area on that side of town, but really isn't as bad as some others.

the one's I clicked on looked like middle class neighborhoods.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:04 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
A lot of Baltimore looks terrible but the ghettos of Philly/Camden are even worse and the housing is in worse shape. I've seen piles of rubble that were once buildings many times in Philly (and many were like that for years before being cleaned up) and I think the city is overall dirtier than Baltimore.

Here's some random streetview pics of Philly:
Google Maps
Google Maps
Google Maps
Google Maps
Google Maps
Google Maps

Old 09-26-2010, 12:53 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
A lot of Baltimore looks terrible but the ghettos of Philly/Camden are even worse and the housing is in worse shape. I've seen piles of rubble that were once buildings many times in Philly (and many were like that for years before being cleaned up) and I think the city is overall dirtier than Baltimore.

Here's some random streetview pics of Philly:
Google Maps
Google Maps
Google Maps
Google Maps
Google Maps
Google Maps
it looks like philly has a vacant lot issue , but at least most of their houses in the ghetto aren't abandoned like baltimore which has a block with 98 percent of the block abandoned.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:55 PM

970 posts, read 2,967,641 times
Hamtramck, MI - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/44340219@N07/sets/72157623205007567/with/4323360034/ - broken link)

This is just some of the ghetto-ness of Hamtramck. Hamtramck Mayor Karen Majewski recently unveiled a 'Blight Busters' program, but it's not working, at all.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:23 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,641 times
Quote:
and also i know your fruity frisco lameness isnt calling nyc corny
New York has more gay people than any city period, because it's the biggest city in the U.S., genius.

There are nearly 600,000 gay people in the New York metro area. That's almost the entire population of SF.

http://www.observer.com/node/32560 (broken link)

P.S.

I don't think New York is lame. New York will always be the best in terms of a lot of things. What I think is lame is the attitude that a lot of New Yorkers have. You know, "I'm from New York, we are the biggest and baddest, we've seen everything..." The truth is, for people who have lived in NYC their whole life have seen nothing but that, the 5 boroughs. You have to venture outside of your box and see the rest of the world. And in this case, there are dozens of cities that are much more ALL AROUND (see how I emphasize that) ghetto, impoverished and dangerous than New York.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 09-26-2010 at 04:27 PM..

Old 09-26-2010, 03:35 PM

Baltimore is ghetto to the core, unlike San Francisco and New York which are both international tourist destinations. San Francisco and New York are both two of the most expensive places to live in the United States and the world for a reason. Large swaths of NYC, SF and even D.C. are beautiful, picturesque places that are generally safe. I wish SF and NYC were as half as ghetto as posters in this forum would like to believe. Maybe then an average joe like me could afford to live in either one of those great places.

On the other hand, Baltimore is definitely one of the cities that takes the cake as being straight up ghetto. When the word got out that San Francisco had some real bad dilapidated projects, SF took action and demolished those PJ's:

Hunters View construction breaks ground - SFGate

Knocking down one set of projects or two definitely won't fix the visual ghettoness of Baltimore by a long shot. In 1997, out of the over 300,000 houses in Baltimore City, about 40,000 of those houses were abandoned. This is not even counting all of the inhabited homes that are in terrible shape. Baltimore City would have to be nuked along with all of its crazy, drug addict and criminal residents and rebuilt in order to look an eighth as presentable as San Francisco or New York.

City's 40,000 vacant houses Malaise spreads: As population exodus continues, number of abandoned buildings rises. - Baltimore Sun

Last edited by goldenchild08; 09-26-2010 at 04:00 PM..

Old 09-26-2010, 03:55 PM

Unlike NY or SF, Baltimore does not have a lot of tourist/family friendly places downtown besides the Aquarium, The Hard Rock Cafe, and a few restaurants and a shopping center at the Inner Harbor. That's right, Baltimore's downtown area is not even a nice place for out of towners and tourists. This is the hallmark of a truly ghetto city. For instance, one of the main attractions in Baltimore is a strip downtown known as "The Block" which is about a block full of sleazy strip clubs that are open from morning to late at night daily. I've walked this strip at 10 AM in the cold of January before and have been propositioned by bouncers outside to "come in and see the live girls".

417 e baltimore street - Google Maps

This strip used to stretch longer for much more many blocks back in the day. On an average temperate Saturday night in Spring, Summer or Fall, the sidewalks of this strip are crowded with hundreds of local teenagers from the hood drunk off of Four Loko (The latest most sinister innovation in malt liquor that is all the rage in the ghetto). It is a common sight to see cops hop out of unmarked police vans with guns drawn and nab known drug dealers, killers and gang members on this strip. Even though the City Police Headquarters is located at the end of "The Block" it does nothing to make this area feel or look safer. This area is historically known for drug dealing and prostitution.

The strip is full of low class ghetto strip clubs with signs at the door stating "No pimps, No gang colors and men must wear their baseball caps to the front to gain entry." Most of the clubs feature heavily tattooed, and sometimes scarred, local hoodrat chicas dancing to the latest Gucci Mane and Young Money mixtape-esque tracks while ballers from the Baltimore blocks make it rain with that day's quick money earnings. Some strippers openly offer their prostitution services to men who they give lapdances. However, these stripclubs downtown on "The Block" are classy establishments compared to some of the dirty, dangerous strip joints in located in the outskirts of town.

Other than the stripclubs, there are several other bars/liquor stores on "The Block" that sell the most ghetto libations that aren't available in many other areas in Maryland like St. Ide's Special Brew (which I hadn't seen since the 90's) and servings of Colt 45 that are significantly larger than the standard 40.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 09-26-2010 at 04:05 PM..

Old 09-26-2010, 04:46 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,022,844 times
A Large area of Baltimore City outside the tourist places is pretty ghetto looking, its just so neglected.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:09 PM

Sorry native Baltimoreans, I was not bashing your city. If anything, the grittiness and ghettoness of Baltimore is what makes it so uniquely beautiful and authentic. Nothing infuriates me more than when I go back home to San Francisco and find out that a huge percentage of the native born American people living in my hometown are rich snobs who were born out of state in far off podunk places like Alaska and Maine. I grew up in San Francisco when it also was a gritty authentic city, not a tourist paradise.

Baltimore is actually one of the best cities to consider a relocation. Do you know why? Baltimore and D.C. are currently leading the country in terms of having one of the strongest job markets with roughly one job opening per unemployed person. Not to mention government jobs in Maryland and nearby D.C. are much better paying and more stable with numerous benefits than most other jobs. For the past several years, Maryland has been ranked as the highest median income state in the country. The beauty of Baltimore living is that it is very cheap in an overpriced state full of overly expensive bland suburbia:

Can't Find a Job? Best and Worst Job Markets | Indeed.com

Did you see how bad the unemployment situation was in cities like Los Angeles and Detroit? Sure, if you move to Baltimore City you will most likely be living in a run down ghetto area with abandoned boarded up houses on your block, but if you choose your neighborhood wisely, you will live for very cheap in one of the most recession-proof areas of the country. Paying little for rent or buying a home in B-More will leave you with much more money to play with and save. Unlike NYC, where you have to pay at least $900 a month to live in the heart of the ghetto.

New York City apartments for rent. Manhattan apartments. NYC apartments. NYC rentals. Manhattan apartments for rent. Manhattan rentals. Low income apartments in nyc

In addition, NYC is also much more competitive in terms of the job market. There is always a better applicant for YOUR job in NYC. Job applicants have to take extensive personality tests just to work at a McDonald's in NYC for Christ's sake.

Also, one of the good things about Baltimore is the high homicide and crime rate is usually restricted to those involved in the criminal underworld of drugs and gangs in Baltimore:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezr...baltimore.html

Even in the most ghetto neighborhoods in Baltimore, if you don't plan to start slangin' dope or banging Blood, no one will bother you, not even the cops because they have more important things to worry about. If you have an ounce of common sense and street smarts, this gives you much more freedom than you would have living in the overpriced police state of generic Maryland suburbia in Howard and Montgomery counties where you can be thrown in jail for drinking a beer outdoors. However, certain neighborhoods in Baltimore are known to have regular folks being victimized. According to neighborhoodscout.com, the Front St. area near downtown has a 1 in 9 chance of residents being victimized, mostly property crime. I have had friends that lived in brand new houses in the seemingly clean and safe Little Italy and had their houses broken into and straight cleaned of all of their valuables. On the other hand, I also have friends who live in the depths of the ghetto amongst the decrepit boarded up row homes off of Greenmount who have never had a problem with crime. So if you want to live for extra cheap in a grimey authentic ghetto city with access to the nation's two best job markets within reach, please move to Baltimore, Maryland. Yeah, Baltimore is scary looking and dangerous, but it also has much more to offer than equally scary and ghetto cities like Detroit and Camden.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 09-27-2010 at 03:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City