Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 07:57 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,219 times

Advertisements

I know I take a lot of time on this forum schooling East Coast people about California ghettos, but let me tell you something West Coasters, NOTHING compares to the visual poverty and ominous vibe of Baltimore, Maryland. Unlike most West Coast cities with ghettos, Baltimore is about 80% slum. Trust me, you have to see it for yourself and it is depressing. And this is coming from someone who has lived on both coasts. I grew up in possibly the worst neighborhood in San Francisco during the 80's and 90's, but SF is about 30-45% ghetto at the most. Also, San Francisco is continually rated as one of the most beautiful cities in the world by countless polls including Forbes magazine most notably. Baltimore is extremely run down and there is no reason to spark a wave of gentrification in Charm City aka Harm City aka Bodymore, Murdaland. Baltimore is just plain scary as f*ck visually. And like I said before, 80% of Baltimore City looks like this:

On Black: Baltimore by crabsandbeer (Kevin Moore) [Large]

Abandoned Rowhouses - Baltimore, MD | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/crabsandbeer/3339554106/ - broken link)

http://www.victoriansecrets.net/paavebaltodisp.jpg

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper932/stills/434ed01ef2d6c-38-1.jpg (broken link)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dKok25glEy...0/the-hood.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2802/...5267e73e8e.jpg

Not to mention that every other corner of Baltimore even one block away from the inner harbor there are people selling dope, coke and crack to anyone willing to buy. I even been offered "wet" (PCP) in front of Lexington Market.

Also, some of the statistically most dangerous neighborhoods in the country are in Baltimore, MD . In the top 25 most dangerous neighborhoods list according to neighborhoodscout.com, two Baltimore neighborhoods rank in on the list at number 20 and number 5:

25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods - WalletPop

I would not recommend any lost out of towner take a stroll down North Ave. Be thankful you are looking at this area from photographs on a computer screen. Take the time to thank God you don't live there:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ex...ed=0CBgQ8gEwAA
Attached Thumbnails
Most ghetto visually...-ghetto.jpg   Most ghetto visually...-6a00d83451db8d69e2010536ed2e7c970b-800wi.jpg   Most ghetto visually...-baltimore-027.jpg   Most ghetto visually...-picimg_baltimore_ghetto_may_8670.jpg   Most ghetto visually...-8-18-bmore-2.jpg  

Most ghetto visually...-abandoned-houses-parkheightsave-baltimoremd-23aug2008.jpg  

Last edited by goldenchild08; 09-24-2010 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 08:47 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
80%. That speaks volumes about your knowledge of percentages and math in general. Go back to school, please.

Also, I'd just love to know where one block from the harbor can buy dope.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
80%. That speaks volumes about your knowledge of percentages and math in general. Go back to school, please.

Also, I'd just love to know where one block from the harbor can buy dope.
Where do you live genius? You obviously don't live in Baltimore because you would know about the stark contrasts between blocks in B-More. One block you are in Little Italy and the next block you are in the jaws of the projects. Where do you live? Kansas? And yes, I've been offered "dimes of the gray" (crack) a few blocks away from inner harbor. If you do live in the area you are probably a sheltered suburbanite completely unfamiliar with Baltimore or a native who does know what a REAL world class city looks like.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 09-24-2010 at 09:09 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 09:09 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Funny kid, funny kid.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:58 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Those projects don't even look like they are in bad shape. I don't even see any boarded up windows.
nyc has like the best taken cared housing projects why would you expect boarded up windows

in nyc its the crime that makes a project bad not no boarded up windows

if your city housing has boarded up windows that means the housing authority in your city sucks

Old 09-24-2010, 11:02 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I agree with all of this. I'll also say that it hasn't been cleaned up everywhere in the city and in the worst parts of Oakland it looks exactly the same as it did 20 years ago. Most of West Oakland looks worse than most of the east NY pictures above your post.

2 out of three aint bad right? lol

North oakland got some bad blocks too.

East Oakland is a mix... some areas look good and some areas look like this:

East Coasters' ideas of west coast poverty usually don't look like any of the above. The Bay aint LA. It's ****ed up that any of the stuff posted in this thread exists in the richest country in the world though...

um your pics actually look better then eny pics

Old 09-24-2010, 01:16 PM

I don't care what anybody says. Baltimore is one of the worst. There are dozens of streets in Baltimore that make the hood where I grew up in San Francisco look like Disney World. If you take any road into the city except 95, you're going to most likely end up driving through a very rough area. If you take Route 40 this is what you will see:

2774 Edmondson Ave Baltimore - Google Maps

If you take Route 1, this is what you will see. Keep scrolling down Wilkens towards the city:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...ed=0CBgQ8gEwAA

Some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Baltimore aren't actually in the dilapidated outskirts of the city. Some of the city's most dangerous neighborhhods feature brand new buildings and housing developments. The 20th most dangerous neighborhood in America according to neighborhoodscout.com is located in walking distance of the Inner Harbor and downtown Baltimore. You have a 1 in 9 chance of being a victim of crime in a neighborhood that looks like this:

216 aisquith st baltimore - Google Maps

Old 09-24-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
if your city housing has boarded up windows that means the housing authority in your city sucks
True. But the original poster who posted that pic was trying to tell everybody that, "Yeah son, East New York is a different animal, b. It's real out here kid. Look at how scary our projects look, word up.."

I just made it a point to show ignorant East Coast natives that the projects in San Francisco are much more run-down than New York. SF projects are more run down because the City really doesn't care about it's poor people. The projects of San Francisco are hidden away from rich people, tourists and out of towners as if they don't exist. Since our projects in San Francisco are completely hidden from the American public, they are among the most dangerous in the country. If it ever were publicized in the national media that SF has some of the worst projects in the country, the City's reputation as being a "nice place" for rich folks, tourists and liberals would be forever tarnished. In 2007, Hunter's View in SF ranked as one of the nation's most dangerous housing complexes:

Hunters View - not Sunnydale - ranks as S.F.'s worst complex - SFGate

Unlike NYC where your projects have been glamorized by every rapper from MC Shan, to Nas to Jay-Z. A portion of Queensbridge PJ's should be converted into a Hip Hop museum for tourists. Oh wait, didn't New York already do something like that with a Hip Hop tour bus that takes White people from Kansas to Soundview in the Bronx with Grandmaster Caz as the bus driver? Y'all are corny! Look at this hilarious link:

Hip Hop Tours | New York City Tours of Harlem, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens! | Hush Tours, Inc.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 09-24-2010 at 01:45 PM..

Old 09-24-2010, 05:01 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,652,281 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
I don't care what anybody says. Baltimore is one of the worst. There are dozens of streets in Baltimore that make the hood where I grew up in San Francisco look like Disney World. If you take any road into the city except 95, you're going to most likely end up driving through a very rough area. If you take Route 40 this is what you will see:

2774 Edmondson Ave Baltimore - Google Maps

If you take Route 1, this is what you will see. Keep scrolling down Wilkens towards the city:

2581 Wilkens Ave Baltimore - Google Maps

Some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Baltimore aren't actually in the dilapidated outskirts of the city. Some of the city's most dangerous neighborhhods feature brand new buildings and housing developments. The 20th most dangerous neighborhood in America according to neighborhoodscout.com is located in walking distance of the Inner Harbor and downtown Baltimore. You have a 1 in 9 chance of being a victim of crime in a neighborhood that looks like this:

216 aisquith st baltimore - Google Maps

Thats how I felt when I first went to school in Baltimore but after getting familiar with the city and the scene it aint nothin foreal..I mean dont lunch (dont get me wrong).....its ppl dying on a regular basis but I've never been approached or intimidated in ANY way ...even in the slum parts of town....especially being from PG county, MD

Old 09-24-2010, 06:18 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Not all of SF's projects are horribly run down...there are some that are nice and new after being rebuilt (though many of the same problems remain), and the SFHA seems to be better these days about applying fresh paint, even to some of the worst projects. But, SF does have a lot of very dilapidated projects. As goldenchild08 said, some of them were ranked in 2007 as among the most run-down in the entire US, by the US Dept. of Housing and Urban Development. Here are some examples:

Hunters point (including the aforementioned Hunters View):

Potrero Hill:

Sunnydale:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City