Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are the best cities to meet single Black/African-American females, ages 21-30?
Boston 10 5.10%
Providence 5 2.55%
NYC 49 25.00%
Philadelphia 26 13.27%
Wilmington, DE 5 2.55%
Baltimore 24 12.24%
Washington, D.C. 93 47.45%
Richmond 7 3.57%
Hampton Roads, VA 11 5.61%
Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill 16 8.16%
Charlotte, NC 32 16.33%
Winston-Salem-Greensboro 5 2.55%
Atlanta 120 61.22%
Charleston, SC 6 3.06%
Savannah, GA 6 3.06%
Nashville 6 3.06%
Tampa-St. Pete 5 2.55%
Orlando 3 1.53%
Miami-Ft. Lauderdale 13 6.63%
New Orleans 22 11.22%
Houston 46 23.47%
Dallas 29 14.80%
Memphis 17 8.67%
Chicago 38 19.39%
St. Louis 14 7.14%
Cleveland 10 5.10%
Columbus, OH 7 3.57%
Detroit 19 9.69%
Milwaukee 6 3.06%
Other (please specify) 10 5.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 10:46 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I am not in denial at all. You can simply look at family photo albums to see the differences over generations. I am a 48 year old black man. I am 6'3" @ 180lbs. My waste size is 34 and this is the biggest I've ever been. I am blessed and this blessing was bestowed upon my children. Both children (male and female) have zero body fat and are built in true human form.
Yeah, yeah, we get it. The average C-D poster is 6'2+ and built like a Spartan warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I have family in LA and DC. The fit lifestyle is more pronounced in DC and I have never seen this in LA. The real LA.
Again, the data doesn't bear this out. Black people in California and the District of Columbia report having exercised within the past month at similar rates (82-84%).

I think you assume that Black people in DC would be fitter because of high levels of educational attainment (not that LA is really "low" in this regard anyway). What you fail to realize is that weight tends to rise with additional education among African Americans. We don't see the same inverse correlation as other groups where weight declines with additional education/income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2024, 11:14 AM

Anecdotally speaking, who are the "dimes" from the DMV/ATL? With 3.5 million Black people combined, you'd think you'd have at least 50 we could point out. Is Mya considered "top tier" for the DMV?

Bria Myles - Los Angeles, CA
Taylor Rooks - St. Louis, MO
Garcelle Beauvais - Boston, MA
Greta Onieogou - Toronto, ON
Teyonah Parris - Hopkins, SC
KJ Smith - Tallahassee, FL
Lela Rochon - Los Angeles, CA
Victoria Rowell - Portland, ME
Jasmine Guy - Atlanta, GA
Chanel Iman - Los Angeles, CA
Tyra Banks - Inglewood, CA
Melyssa Ford - Toronto, ON
Nathalie Emmanuel - Essex, EN
Meg Thee Stallion - Houston, TX
YaYa DaCosta - Harlem, NY
Joy Bryant - Bronx, NY
Halle Berry - Cleveland, OH
Wendy-Racquel Robinson - Los Angeles, CA
Ciara Wilson - Atlanta, GA
Nicole Beharie - Greenville, SC
Selita Ebanks - Staten Island, NY
Coco Jones - Lebanon, TN
Beyonce Knowles - Houston, TX
Kiki Layne - Cincinnati, OH
Aaliyah Naughton - Detroit, MI
Laura Harrier - Chicago, IL
Natasha Elie - Miami, FL
Pam Grier - Winston-Salem, NC
Jada Pinkett - Baltimore, MD

Last edited by BajanYankee; 02-27-2024 at 11:27 AM..

Old 02-27-2024, 11:25 AM

1,374 posts, read 923,022 times
If you ask athletes and rappers who have women around them all the time, they'll most likely say Atlanta.

Old 02-27-2024, 11:26 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
These BMI critiques are insufferable.

BMI is only one anthropemetric data point tracked by the CDC. The CDC also collects data related to central obesity, arm/leg circumference and abdominal diameter.

People go on the attack against BMI because it can be dismissed as European junk science even though it is strongly correlated with coronary disease, hypertension and Covid mortality. But if the attack is simply based on it being inaccurate as far as appearance goes, then we can look to waist circumference and abdominal diameter instead, which are also strongly correlated with BMI.
Lol dude, chill. You were hanging your hat on BMI and folks correctly pointed out that's not exactly a good way to get to what you're stating. Yes, there are correlations between BMI and an the chronic illnesses you pointed out more often than not. Also true, one can have an "obese" BMI and be in top physical form too. BMI is 100% junk science. Source: I've lost 100+ pounds over the last 5 years and BMI was on my mind zero percent of the time and technically speaking I'm still "overweight" according to that metric despite being only 7 pounds off of the "healthy" designation.

Tl;dr

BMI is junk science.

Old 02-27-2024, 11:27 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Anecdotally speaking, who are the "dimes" from the DMV/ATL? With 3.5 million Black people combined, you'd think you'd have at least 50 we could point out. Is Mya considered "top tier" for the DMV?

Bria Myles - Los Angeles, CA
Taylor Rooks - St. Louis, MO
Garcelle Beauvais - Boston, MA
Greta Onieogou - Toronto, ON
Teyonah Parris - Hopkins, SC
KJ Smith - Tallahassee, FL
Lela Rochon - Los Angeles, CA
Jasmine Guy - Atlanta, GA
Chanel Iman - Los Angeles, CA
Tyra Banks - Inglewood, CA
Melyssa Ford - Toronto, ON
Nathalie Emmanuel - Essex, EN
Meg Thee Stallion - Houston, TX
YaYa DaCosta - Harlem, NY
Joy Bryant - Bronx, NY
Halle Berry - Cleveland, OH
Wendy-Racquel Robinson - Los Angeles, CA
Ciara Wilson - Atlanta, GA
Nicole Beharie - Greenville, SC
Selita Ebanks - Staten Island, NY
Coco Jones - Lebanon, TN
Beyonce Knowles - Houston, TX
Kiki Layne - Cincinnati, OH
Aaliyah Naughton - Detroit, MI
Laura Harrier - Chicago, IL
Natasha Elie - Miami, FL
Pam Grier - Winston-Salem, NC
Jada Pinkett - Baltimore, MD
You know the answer to that is Taraji P. Henson.

Old 02-27-2024, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Lol dude, chill. You were hanging your hat on BMI and folks correctly pointed out that's not exactly a good way to get to what you're stating. Yes, there are correlations between BMI and an the chronic illnesses you pointed out more often than not. Also true, one can have an "obese" BMI and be in top physical form too.
It is a good way to get at what I was stating. My point was that Black women in California are smaller and in better shape. You are just pointing out the exceptions (NFL athletes) who have high BMIs despite being in top physical shape. What percentage of people with an obese BMI do you believe are conditioned to the same extent as Saquon Barkley? 50% 25%? Folks need to give this argument a break. Heard it a billion times before.

The average person is not some physical specimen built in the mold of Lebron or Cam Newton, even if 90% of the men here claim they are.

Old 02-27-2024, 11:40 AM

313 posts, read 159,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Imma keep it real the last time I was in LA didn't see a ton of Black women in comparison to cities like Atlanta, Houston, DC, NYC, DAL or even Philly. And the Black women I did see frequently they were fit but they were with White Men and it wasn't a ton of them at that.
True I'm from California it's not that many Black women
Out there Los Angeles is played out,majority are relocating else where even back in the 90s la Oakland
Sac was known for attractive black females fit but you
Can too Atlanta New York Dallas and Chicago see way more fitted black females and fine New Orleans red bones Yellow bones come from the boot and Houston

Old 02-27-2024, 11:42 AM

So here is my All-Star "baddie" list for the DMV.

Mya Harrison
Ari Lennox
Regina Hall
Taraji P. Henson
Christina Milian*

Here's my list for Los Angeles (no particular order)

Paula Patton
Meagan Good
Bria Myles
Lauren London
Nia Long
Jhene Aiko
Chanel Iman
Jennifer Freeman
Zoe Kravitz
Karyn Parsons
Lark Voorhies
Chloe Bailey*
Maia Campbell
Ananda Lewis

Old 02-27-2024, 11:49 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
Quote:
So here is my All-Star "baddie" list for the DMV.

Mya Harrison
Ari Lennox
Regina Hall
Taraji P. Henson
Christina Milian*

Here's my list for Los Angeles (no particular order)

Paula Patton
Meagan Good
Bria Myles
Lauren London
Nia Long
Jhene Aiko
Chanel Iman
Jennifer Freeman
Zoe Kravitz
Karyn Parsons
Lark Voorhies
Chloe Bailey*
Maia Campbell
Ananda Lewis

Half of these women are biracial or mixed. Where's the "sista's sista's" at?

One thing I appreciate about Philly is that you see black women, not the light-skinned/mixed-black women everyone is infatuated with now.

Old 02-27-2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Half of these women are biracial or mixed. Where's the "sista's sista's" at?

One thing I appreciate about Philly is that you see black women, not the light-skinned/mixed-black women everyone is infatuated with now.
Last I checked, Bria Myles and Nia Long were black women.

My point is that despite all the "LA doesn't have many Black people" talk on here, it sure seems to generate a disproportionate number of attractive Black women. It also attracts a disproportionate number of attractive Black women from around the world.

Attractive Black women in Los Angeles would be considered "dimes" anywhere else. The best-looking women in other cities--and I am talking about the ones who are extraordinarily good-looking--usually wind up there or in NY at some point anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City