Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are the best cities to meet single Black/African-American females, ages 21-30?
Boston 10 5.10%
Providence 5 2.55%
NYC 49 25.00%
Philadelphia 26 13.27%
Wilmington, DE 5 2.55%
Baltimore 24 12.24%
Washington, D.C. 93 47.45%
Richmond 7 3.57%
Hampton Roads, VA 11 5.61%
Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill 16 8.16%
Charlotte, NC 32 16.33%
Winston-Salem-Greensboro 5 2.55%
Atlanta 120 61.22%
Charleston, SC 6 3.06%
Savannah, GA 6 3.06%
Nashville 6 3.06%
Tampa-St. Pete 5 2.55%
Orlando 3 1.53%
Miami-Ft. Lauderdale 13 6.63%
New Orleans 22 11.22%
Houston 46 23.47%
Dallas 29 14.80%
Memphis 17 8.67%
Chicago 38 19.39%
St. Louis 14 7.14%
Cleveland 10 5.10%
Columbus, OH 7 3.57%
Detroit 19 9.69%
Milwaukee 6 3.06%
Other (please specify) 10 5.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 04:34 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
He said he didn't know any athletes under 200 lbs. Which doesn't make any sense in track and field (which was my sport and extremely popular among West Indians). Especially at the collegiate level where most track athletes have not put on that much muscle mass.

That would make sense for a free safety in CFB. But sprinters over 200 lbs in college is the exception, not the rule. It's like saying you were a college basketball player and didn't know a single athlete over 6'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
No I didn't. I said this.....

I also wasn't talking about their weight while they were competing. I'm talking about former athletes that still work out and have nice bodies, but are considered overweight.
Quote:
Still ridiculous. Because if you actually ran track, you would know several long distance runners, long jumpers, high jumpers, etc. who are not "overweight" according to BMI.

Weight is an even bigger hindrance once you get to the 400m. The ideal weight is more in the 170-175 lb range for that event.
Quote:
I clarified my comment already. This is what I said...

"I also wasn't talking about their weight while they were competing. I'm talking about former athletes that still work out and have nice bodies, but are considered overweight."

I should have said former athletes.

Our distance runners were all from Kenya and I haven't kept in contact with them. I was friends with a few jumpers, but sprinters didn't really hangout with jumpers, throwers, or distance runners while in school. We were teammates, but we didn't practice together unless they were part of the relay pool so we didn't see each other during practice that much.
I see. Well, that's not the same as saying knowing no one under 200 pounds, so that was confusing. The heavy caveats being said after the fact about former athletes that still work out, etc. seems like it just makes the original statement plain wrong.

Anyhow, didn't have much input on this, just wondering what the arguing was. Stay slim everyone! It's probably healthier. Probably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2024, 04:54 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I see. Well, that's not the same as saying knowing no one under 200 pounds, so that was confusing. The heavy caveats being said after the fact about former athletes that still work out, etc. seems like it just makes the original statement plain wrong.

Anyhow, didn't have much input on this, just wondering what the arguing was. Stay slim everyone! It's probably healthier. Probably.
The biggest difference in BMI from my observation is the butt. If you have a big butt as a male or female with an athletic build, you’re going to weigh more. If you’re skinny with a small butt for those that are short or tall, they are going to weigh less. That is really why I said BMI is not made for Black people. I’m one of those athletes with a big butt based on genetics and my body frame aligns with that.

There are plenty of Black men and women that are fit and athletic without a big butt, but those aren’t the people I was referring to in my original statement.

Old 02-27-2024, 06:21 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
Quote:
Last I checked, Bria Myles and Nia Long were black women.

My point is that despite all the "LA doesn't have many Black people" talk on here, it sure seems to generate a disproportionate number of attractive Black women. It also attracts a disproportionate number of attractive Black women from around the world.

Attractive Black women in Los Angeles would be considered "dimes" anywhere else. The best-looking women in other cities--and I am talking about the ones who are extraordinarily good-looking--usually wind up there or in NY at some point anyway.

I'm not disputing, but there's more to this. Let's assume for the hell of it, 20% of models in LA and Atlanta come from Philly. This means that Philly naturally has some of the most attractive women in the country organically, and given OP's age range, the women in the younger age group (21-24) are typically in college and/or doing low-paying jobs and are usually unable to move, which means that Philly still has a huge share of straight dimes still in the city. Producing 1/5 of the finest chicks has to account for something, that's top 5 status right there.

Old 02-27-2024, 07:37 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Half of these women are biracial or mixed. Where's the "sista's sista's" at?

One thing I appreciate about Philly is that you see black women, not the light-skinned/mixed-black women everyone is infatuated with now.
My sisters are “light skinned†but no less black.

Old 02-28-2024, 06:45 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I'm not disputing, but there's more to this. Let's assume for the hell of it, 20% of models in LA and Atlanta come from Philly. This means that Philly naturally has some of the most attractive women in the country organically, and given OP's age range, the women in the younger age group (21-24) are typically in college and/or doing low-paying jobs and are usually unable to move, which means that Philly still has a huge share of straight dimes still in the city. Producing 1/5 of the finest chicks has to account for something, that's top 5 status right there.
Well, that's not happening for one. Just go to IMDB and filter by birthplace. I understand that birthplace and hometown aren't necessarily the same, but there's no filter for hometown so you have to start somewhere. Chicago has produced some stunners that aren't even known for any major roles.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4493176/?ref_=nmbio_ov_i

So you have women look like this who were born and raised in LA and then you have women who look like this who move to LA on top of it.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:51 AM

Quote:
That is really why I said BMI is not made for Black people.
I don't know if people realize this but the average BMI in 1971 was 25.7. This was across all races and ages.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...ed%20%3D%203.4).

Americans in 2024 are not genetically different from Americans 40 years ago. What's changed mostly is diet.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:26 AM

This was the best I could find from the DMV. She's legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhTmvJnFtFA

Old 02-28-2024, 08:49 AM

Some other lesser-known Hollywood cuties and where they come from.

Jessica Williams - Los Angeles, CA
Sierra Capri - Atlanta, GA
Aja-Naomi King - Los Angeles, CA
Corbin Reid - Minneapolis, MN
Geffri Maya - Los Angeles, CA
Lovie Simone - Bronx, NY
N'Bushe Wright - Bronx, NY
Tika Sumpter - Queens, NY
Shannon Thornton - Hartford, CT
Paige Hurd - Dallas, TX
Andrea Bordeaux - Ft. Hood, TX
Shanola Hampton - Summerville, SC
Alix Lapri - Topeka, KS
Herizen Guardialo - Miami, FL
Logan Browning - Atlanta, GA
Antoinette Robinson - Bronx, NY
Megalyn Echikunwoke - Chinle, AZ
Mari Morrow - Miami, FL
Bresha Webb - Baltimore, MD
Chelsea Tavares - Los Angeles, CA
Madison Bailey - Kernersville, NC

Last edited by BajanYankee; 02-28-2024 at 09:49 AM..

Old 02-28-2024, 02:43 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
I don't know if people realize this but the average BMI in 1971 was 25.7. This was across all races and ages.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...ed%20%3D%203.4).

Americans in 2024 are not genetically different from Americans 40 years ago. What's changed mostly is diet.
People also didn't workout in 1971 like they do in 2024. We are built very differently now than they were and muscle weighs more than fat. That is the point I have been making. I don't think BMI takes muscle into account. Go through IG and look at all the fitness influencers. Most of them are considered overweight if they are muscular based on BMI. Look at NFL players. Are the receivers, safeties, and corners overweight too?

Odell Beckham is 5'11 and weighs 198. His BMI is 27.6 which is overweight.

Old 02-28-2024, 03:39 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
People also didn't workout in 1971 like they do in 2024. We are built very differently now than they were and muscle weighs more than fat. That is the point I have been making. I don't think BMI takes muscle into account. Go through IG and look at all the fitness influencers. Most of them are considered overweight if they are muscular based on BMI. Look at NFL players. Are the receivers, safeties, and corners overweight too?

Odell Beckham is 5'11 and weighs 198. His BMI is 27.6 which is overweight.

I don't think it's arguable to consider professional American football players as healthy. They're competitive and skilled, but the kind of form they work towards they have is maybe under the umbrella of occupational hazard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City