Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Region would you prefer to live in?
Midwest 249 60.44%
Down South 163 39.56%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:40 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Any list that has Cal Tech at number one over Harvard,Pricnceton,Yale and even Stanford is not a list worthy of my attention.

I mean really.Arizona State University is ranked 172 in the U.S. by U.S. News but 148 by your link.How is it higher than Georgetown?ASU is one of the Top 10 party schools in the U.S. as ranked by Playboy Magazine and #2 by Fiesta Frog.LOL. This is got to be the most craziest list ever.
National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges
Why? Caltech's got a pretty good argument for why it should be first, though different lists have different methodologies. I'd definitely respect a Caltech degree overall more than one from Harvard, Princeton, Yale or Stanford especially for undergrads. Most undergrads from these schools will be pretty bright, but Caltech and MIT are the ones who have ones that are most likely to be brilliant.

I'd like to ask more about Midwestern food. What are some of the more distinctive parts of it? For Great Lakes states, is there much that revolves around "lakefood" as one would expect coastal areas of the South to have a pretty good focus on seafood? What are some of these lakefood dishes besides frying up some fish? Is there any good edible shellfish from the great lakes or aquatic plants? I know there's wild rice in lake paddies, but what else? Also, what are some interesting dishes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 07:42 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC1980 View Post
The sad part is the Midwest actually holds its own against the ENTIRE south.. the southeast or the southwest doesn't stand a chance against the north as whole...
What?

Old 10-22-2013, 07:49 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Why? Caltech's got a pretty good argument for why it should be first, though different lists have different methodologies. I'd definitely respect a Caltech degree overall more than one from Harvard, Princeton, Yale or Stanford especially for undergrads. Most undergrads from these schools will be pretty bright, but Caltech and MIT are the ones who have ones that are most likely to be brilliant.

I'd like to ask more about Midwestern food. What are some of the more distinctive parts of it? For Great Lakes states, is there much that revolves around "lakefood" as one would expect coastal areas of the South to have a pretty good focus on seafood? What are some of these lakefood dishes besides frying up some fish?
Cal Tech IS a great school but look at the entire list.It has some schools over schools no one would EVER suggest were better.

No survey of American based list of schools has any similarities with that list at all.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
AHHHH NOOOOOO, don't bring up meth!! I think Illinois, Missouri and Indiana lead the country in meth making lol. Our rural areas can sometimes leave a lot to be desired.
I was about to say!But too late!

Old 10-22-2013, 08:37 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Cal Tech IS a great school but look at the entire list.It has some schools over schools no one would EVER suggest were better.

No survey of American based list of schools has any similarities with that list at all.
I am not suggesting that Caltech is better. I'm saying that it is. Caltech might have a small class size and a focus on stems, but if you're asking about the quality of the education and research done there, then Caltech is absolutely a contender. I don't understand the contention that it's not--though, like I said, I do understand different methodologies for measuring schools.

Anyhow, wherever this topic is going. I can understand the argument for the Midwest having a larger roster of great universities than the South. I think most of the big rankings systems are going to have more top twenty or top fifty schools in the US from the Midwest than from the South.

However, none of this has anything to do with what I was asking about fish, shellfish, and aquatic plants in the Great Lakes and how they are eaten, so this isn't that interesting. I'm also interested in other interesting foods. I recently had a St. Louis style pizza. I liked it a lot--the provel cheese was interesting.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,618 times
Quote:
I was about to say!But too late!
Well that is just the ones that have been discovered/busted.

I think we just have superior law enforcement because only 32 for the entire state of Texas? Looks like cops in Texas couldn't find snow in the middle of freezing winter.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:51 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:

I think we just have superior law enforcement because only 32 for the entire state of Texas? Looks like cops in Texas couldn't find snow in the middle of freezing winter.
Why exactly would you think its common in Texas? Playing on stereotypes?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:03 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:

So Texas is at "32" but it's probably THE #1 state for drug smuggling in this country (or tied with Florida)? Perhaps those numbers don't paint the best picture for where drugs are a "problem"....

Old 10-22-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
So Texas is at "32" but it's probably THE #1 state for drug smuggling in this country (or tied with Florida)? Perhaps those numbers don't paint the best picture for where drugs are a "problem"....
You are the one that brought up meth.Other drugs come in from everywhere they can grow it.That naturally is South.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I am not suggesting that Caltech is better. I'm saying that it is. Caltech might have a small class size and a focus on stems, but if you're asking about the quality of the education and research done there, then Caltech is absolutely a contender. I don't understand the contention that it's not--though, like I said, I do understand different methodologies for measuring schools.

Anyhow, wherever this topic is going. I can understand the argument for the Midwest having a larger roster of great universities than the South. I think most of the big rankings systems are going to have more top twenty or top fifty schools in the US from the Midwest than from the South.

However, none of this has anything to do with what I was asking about fish, shellfish, and aquatic plants in the Great Lakes and how they are eaten, so this isn't that interesting. I'm also interested in other interesting foods. I recently had a St. Louis style pizza. I liked it a lot--the provel cheese was interesting.
Its not about Cal Tech.Its about the validity of the entire list.Cal Tech of course is a fantastic school. Im not suggesting it is so much less or more than the schools mentioned.

If the others schools like Arizona State were less than Georgetown in rank and other schools that are placed high in the list were lower ,then its my opinion that if those things seem odd then why Cal Tech in front of other traditional schools in which every American list ranks higher?

Im not trying to minnimize the importance of how great Cal Tech is,only that thier are SO many irregular schools not normally ranked as they are on the Worlds Ranking list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City