Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Region would you prefer to live in?
Midwest 249 60.44%
Down South 163 39.56%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:22 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
No, I didn't misinterpret anything. That we came from the South goes without saying. Europeans didn't bring Africans from Africa to the Midwest. Until the first Migration, there were relatively few African Americans in the Midwest. That goes without saying.

Yes, James Brown is the KING! Aretha Franklin is the QUEEN! Yes, they are from the South. However, don't ignore the effect of living in the Midwest has had on Black folk. You can't ignore the context in which they, Berry Gordy and the Jacksons, lived. If you choose to ignore society's influence (the context) on them, answer this: where does society end and the individual begin? Not only was Berry influenced by the Midwest, his parents were too.

I mentioned the creation of gangs to demonstrate this influence. I'll segue to the Civil Rights Movement. History tell us that the newly transplanted Black folk didn't "resist" in the same manner as they did in the South. Malcolm X said, "You can't sing up on freedom, but you can swing up on some freedom." They'd had enough of passive resistance. Please don't tell me that Elijah Muhammad is from GA. I digress.

I prefer the Midwest

The Bullet or the Ballot
I thought James Brown was from Cincinnati? Did he spend time there or something.....I'm not sure why I had that impression if he didn't...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 10:21 AM

320 posts, read 578,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I thought James Brown was from Cincinnati? Did he spend time there or something.....I'm not sure why I had that impression if he didn't...

Did you ever hear James Brown talk? You never noticed an accent? No...he was not from the Midwest.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:44 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
No, James Brown was from SC/GA...was born in SC, raised in GA...in the Augusta area, which is located on the state border.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:46 AM

320 posts, read 578,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
No, I didn't misinterpret anything. That we came from the South goes without saying. Europeans didn't bring Africans from Africa to the Midwest. Until the first Migration, there were relatively few African Americans in the Midwest. That goes without saying.

Yes, James Brown is the KING! Aretha Franklin is the QUEEN! Yes, they are from the South. However, don't ignore the effect of living in the Midwest has had on Black folk. You can't ignore the context in which they, Berry Gordy and the Jacksons, lived. If you choose to ignore society's influence (the context) on them, answer this: where does society end and the individual begin? Not only was Berry influenced by the Midwest, his parents were too.

I mentioned the creation of gangs to demonstrate this influence. I'll segue to the Civil Rights Movement. History tell us that the newly transplanted Black folk didn't "resist" in the same manner as they did in the South. Malcolm X said, "You can't sing up on freedom, but you can swing up on some freedom." They'd had enough of passive resistance. Please don't tell me that Elijah Muhammad is from GA. I digress.

I prefer the Midwest

The Bullet or the Ballot

Got it. The Midwest had some of the most talented R&B musicians in black history. Why would the new generation not continue that legacy? For example, young Chicago rappers choose not to use the same beat patterns and lyric that the veteran Chicago rappers created. The young Chicago rappers today choose to use the Trap beat sound that was created Down South. They should bring back the ORIGINAL Chicago/Midwest sound.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:41 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
The Midwest gave us:

Inventions/Innovations:
-an affordable automobile (Henry Ford's assembly line concept, Detroit)
-Post-It notes and Scotch clear tape (3M, Minneapolis)
-fast-food/McDonald's (Chicago)
-modern aviation (Wright Brothers, Ohio -- we share this with North Carolina, however)
-the Atomic Bomb (Geneva, IL -- not sure if this is a good thing or not, but certainly impactful)
-radar (Paul Douglas, Minneapolis)
-mail-order catalogs (Montgomery Ward, Chicago)
-delivery pizza (Domino's, Ann Arbor, MI)
-pharmaceutical retail (Walgreens, IL)

Resources:
-steel/taconite (Iron Range and Duluth, MN to Gary, IN and Pittsburgh, PA)
-cereal/grains/meat (the Big 3 cereal makers: Kellogg, General Mills and Quaker/Post, and Cargill and ADM provide the world with food)
-corn/soybean/wheat (breadbasket of the Midwest)
-largest accessible fresh water supply on Earth (Great Lakes)
-CBOT (Chicago Board of Trade, where the world places a price tag on the food we eat)

Culture:
-fast-food faves (McDonalds - IL, Dairy Queen - MN, Buffalo Wild Wings - MN, Wendy's - OH, Panera's - MO, Jimmy John's - WI)
-retail (Target - MN, Sears - IL, K-Mart - MI/IL, Montgomery Ward - IL, Best Buy - MN, Walgreen's - IL, A&F - OH)
-food (corn dog - MN, bratwurst - WI, deep dish pizza - IL, macro beer - WI/MO, micro beer - all, pulled pork/ketchup-based BBQ sauce - MO)
-recreation (watercrafts/Ski-Doo - MI, off-roading/Polaris - MN, toys/Spalding - IL, NFL HOF - OH, tractors/John Deere - IL, Roller-blades - MN, fishing boats/Lund - MN, backyard grilling/Weber - IL, tailgating - MN)

*Note: this does not detract from the South whatsoever, as I can easily think of some of the great and/or impactful amenities the South has for the above topics (e.g. the cotton gin, fried chicken, barbeque, Wal-Mart, etc.), but I just wanted to highlight some of the things you may do in your life that were created or materialized from the Midwest.
Thomas Edison is from Ohio, so technically, the Midwest gave us the ability the record music and basically the movie industry.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:44 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I never said that at all. Cities in the Midwest built upon those foundational genres to create something all their own. I'm merely saying that those musical legacies are built upon genres created in the South, which, in turn, utilized musical elements from Africa and the Caribbean. It's simply a prime example of cultural evolution at work.
So therefore, no one ever really created anything until you go all the way back to the dawn of mankind.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:21 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Thomas Edison is from Ohio, so technically, the Midwest gave us the ability the record music and basically the movie industry.
Its true but the music existed before recordings were made possible.All we are saying innovations and industrialization is very representative of the North and Midwest.

America's cultural heritage has more roots in the South.Give credit where credit is due.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:11 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No, James Brown was from SC/GA...was born in SC, raised in GA...in the Augusta area, which is located on the state border.
This is correct.

Go to 2:14.

Gotta love this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
Got it. The Midwest had some of the most talented R&B musicians in black history. Why would the new generation not continue that legacy? For example, young Chicago rappers choose not to use the same beat patterns and lyric that the veteran Chicago rappers created. The young Chicago rappers today choose to use the Trap beat sound that was created Down South. They should bring back the ORIGINAL Chicago/Midwest sound.
I have no idea what a "trap beat sound" is. Believe me, I couldn't care less. Outside of Common and Twista, I'm unfamiliar with Chicago rappers. However, I'll answer your inquiry. If the trap beat sound is what's hot, the Chicago "rappers" that you are referring to are simply following suit. Par for the course.

Detroit's Slum Village is my favorite Midwest Hip Hop group.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:13 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
South. I need the ocean, and the Midwest won't cut it for me there.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:06 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Its true but the music existed before recordings were made possible.All we are saying innovations and industrialization is very representative of the North and Midwest.

America's cultural heritage has more roots in the South.Give credit where credit is due.
Huh? America's cultural heritage isn't just about music which I could care less about to be honest. Cultural heritage is Education, literature, architecture, food, religion etc. etc.

The roots of all of those things are more ingrained in the South? I don't see it, not one bit. The South may lead the nation in music heritage and yes African Americans played a huge part in that but, come on.

After all, the South and blacks only go together because of that whole slavery thing. Sad to say but, Africans probably wouldn't have made it to the U.S. in significant numbers until the early twentieth century if it wasn't for them unwillingly hitching a ride from the Europeans. Last time I checked, no African nation is renowned for there ship building abilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City