Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Region would you prefer to live in?
Midwest 249 60.44%
Down South 163 39.56%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:16 PM

209 posts, read 657,747 times

Advertisements

And just out of curiosity, do the Great Lakes have anything as big or popular as Myrtle Beach, Virginia Beach, or Miami Beach? These are some of the nations most popular coastal destinations.[/quote]

No not necessarily... but just because millions of people go there because its cold everywhere else, does not make it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 08:20 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,863,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejake21 View Post
No not necessarily... but just because millions of people go there because its cold everywhere else, does not make it better.
Didn't say that makes them better, but it's nice to have access to the big coastal tourist trap occasionally.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:11 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I can hold my own; I'm a big boy.
I realize that, and I also realize that "playing the forum" alone can always be a little frustrating, especially when you're up against like 10 other forumers "on the other side". From personal experience up against you, DeaconJ, Johnatl, LovinDectaur, Polo89, EverestClimb, Tmac, TB Fla, Desert Sun, Westerner92, TexasReb, UrbanCharlotte, and many others I forgot to mention up against, me, it got a little tiring after a while, but it was definitely fun, and I'll try and rile your guys' feathers again soon.

Still, main reason why I posted support is because it's not like you're attacking the midwest, your just stating that it doesn't have the same CULTURE the south does. Completely understandable.

Still, it's not like you have the greatest culture anyways......

Old 08-17-2009, 09:22 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post

But you're saying that they're both the same, and they simply aren't. I can accept that the scales might be different, but you seem to argue that they're the same. I don't buy it.

I'm not saying they are the same, if that is what you are taking away from my posts, then there has been a breakdown between what I have meant and what you have read. What I am saying is that we do have a lot the same between our areas, and while a lot is also different, it is still a coast here as well as there. You are saying that the area is landlocked because it doesn't touch saltwater; that IS wrong, and what I am trying to point out.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
I realize that, and I also realize that "playing the forum" alone can always be a little frustrating, especially when you're up against like 10 other forumers "on the other side". From personal experience up against you, DeaconJ, Johnatl, LovinDectaur, Polo89, EverestClimb, Tmac, TB Fla, Desert Sun, Westerner92, TexasReb, UrbanCharlotte, and many others I forgot to mention up against, me, it got a little tiring after a while, but it was definitely fun, and I'll try and rile your guys' feathers again soon.

Still, main reason why I posted support is because it's not like you're attacking the midwest, your just stating that it doesn't have the same CULTURE the south does. Completely understandable.

Still, it's not like you have the greatest culture anyways......
Wow, you actually understand the point I'm making--and you're a rabid Midwesterner to boot, LOL. Rep point returned.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I'm not saying they are the same, if that is what you are taking away from my posts, then there has been a breakdown between what I have meant and what you have read. What I am saying is that we do have a lot the same between our areas, and while a lot is also different, it is still a coast here as well as there. You are saying that the area is landlocked because it doesn't touch saltwater; that IS wrong, and what I am trying to point out.
Technically you're correct, but I tend to consider states that don't border an ocean as being landlocked. It's a bias, and I fully admit that. But the Great Lakes are still cool and a major feature of the Midwest, that I don't deny.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:14 PM

30 posts, read 60,340 times
Man what's up with people on this site? It seems like 80% of the threads just end up being region bashing and "where I live is better than where you live" bullshlt. I'm from the Midwest and love it here, but guess what? The South is also frickin sweet. If you don't realize that both areas have a lot to offer, I feel sorry for you.

Just last month, my GF and I went to Charleston, and it was incredible. One of the coolest cities ever, so much character, charm, wow. I could seriously write on here for hours about all the awesome stuff we saw and did. The fountain in that new Waterside Park (I forget what it's called, but that seems right?) was sweet. The food...holy crap. We stayed in a bed and breakfast, and this cool old lady who had lived there for decades made us shrimp and grits on our last morning. That is one of the best breakfasts I've had in my life, straight up. Market Street, very cool, basket weavers, authentic art everywhere you look. We were there a night when it poured, and seeing the streets fill up, it was just a cool experience to be a part of. Fort Sumter, Moultrie, Castle Pinckney, Fort Johnson...God, so much history.

Anyways, my point is that I'm from the Midwest, Cincinnati, and LOVE it here. But, I also happen to love the South. Why wouldn't I? This whole great country is here for any and all of us to enjoy. Would I pick to stay here, sure, but this is home to me. That's not gonna stop me from visiting and staying everywhere I please.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:19 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,151 times
Much rather live in the midwest than the south.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:20 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
I would much rather live in the upper midwest instead of the lower midwest or south.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:15 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
Default Absolutely..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I would much rather live in the upper midwest instead of the lower midwest or south.
....Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, Minn-StPaul....are all fantastic, and much more compatible with my cold-temperature preferences..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City