Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Region would you prefer to live in?
Midwest 249 60.44%
Down South 163 39.56%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 01:41 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times

Advertisements

And the language we are communicating originated in England, so therefore this forum is an example of English culture? So nothing that black people (OR European-descended folks do) in the Midwest can be claimed as part of the Midwest's cultural legacy?

Well, by extension, everything ever done in the South using the northern technology of electricity is actually a Northern creation. Including your response to this....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 02:12 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
And the language we are communicating originated in England, so therefore this forum is an example of English culture? So nothing that black people (OR European-descended folks do) in the Midwest can be claimed as part of the Midwest's cultural legacy?

Well, by extension, everything ever done in the South using the northern technology of electricity is actually a Northern creation. Including your response to this....
I never said that at all. Cities in the Midwest built upon those foundational genres to create something all their own. I'm merely saying that those musical legacies are built upon genres created in the South, which, in turn, utilized musical elements from Africa and the Caribbean. It's simply a prime example of cultural evolution at work.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:46 PM

320 posts, read 578,145 times
Quote:

Not if the black people were born in the South. Muddy Waters was a big time blues artist that migrated to Chicago from his home state of Mississippi. He brought his blues to Chicago from the Delta. That's one example.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:18 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I get this....so blacks in the Midwest produce Motown, House Music, a massive amount of blues, gospel and jazz....yet the South claims it as its cultural heritage? By the same logic, couldn't Africa claim the same?
Well considering mankind started in Africa.Yes.All

American music traces it history to the Blues and Jazz.Blues and Jazz borrowed some elements from Europe and Africa.Yet those were not particular genres that existed as they were just sounds and instruments borrowed to create something completely unique.

House,Motown and rap are genres carved out of something that was created in America from original music like Jazz and Blues.From the South.Original forms not created from one sound but several sounds from other countries.

House music is pure rhythm and blues with an infusion of drum beats and electronic sounds.

Does not Motown or House Music not use those elements from music from the same country?Its not totally unique.
No more unique than Garage Music,Dub Step,Trip Hop from England that came out of House and Techno out of Detroit which had roots in Disco hence can be traced to Jazz.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:35 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:

Motown, House and other genres are all apart of the cultural legacy of blacks in the Midwest.However almost every legacy that came out of the cultural heritage of the Midwest for blacks can be traced easily from Southern cultural origins.Can you say the same about Midwestern blacks influence on the South being as great?

Sam Cooke one of soul musics greatest singers ever was born in Mississippi.

Berry Gordy(Motown founder) was born in Detroit to parents who were both from Sandersville Georgia.He is distantly related to fmr. President Jimmy Carter.

Michael Jackson's parents moved to Gary Indiana but are from Alabama and Arkansas

Old 10-26-2013, 06:20 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Does gefilte fish have to be made out of salt cod or do people also make it out of freshwater fish?

Old 10-26-2013, 06:56 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Does gefilte fish have to be made out of salt cod or do people also make it out of freshwater fish?
Hater!

Old 10-26-2013, 08:50 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Motown, House and other genres are all apart of the cultural legacy of blacks in the Midwest.However almost every legacy that came out of the cultural heritage of the Midwest for blacks can be traced easily from Southern cultural origins.Can you say the same about Midwestern blacks influence on the South being as great?

Sam Cooke one of soul musics greatest singers ever was born in Mississippi.

Berry Gordy(Motown founder) was born in Detroit to parents who were both from Sandersville Georgia.He is distantly related to fmr. President Jimmy Carter.

Michael Jackson's parents moved to Gary Indiana but are from Alabama and Arkansas
Afonega1, I dig almost everything that you wrote. Exceptions: the Jimmy Carter piece the bold. I agree that Sam Cooke is one of the baddest Maryland Farmers that has ever walked the Earth. My father would cosign. Sam was born in MS. However, he was raised in Chicago from an early age. Chicago is the context in which Sam grew up.

I work with this cat who told me that he was surprised that Tookie Williams, founder/ leader of the Crips, is from Louisiana. I promptly told him, Larry Hoover is from Mississippi. The dynamics in L.A. and Chicago respectively, shaped Tookie into "Tookie" and Larry into "Larry". The dynamics to create Crips and Disciples were not in place in MS or LA. Much as the dynamics in the American South were conducive for the creation of the Blues. Both Tookie and Larry left the South at an early age.

However, let's not take things out of context. So what, Joe and Katherine are from the South. So what, Berry Gordy's parents are from GA. The Jacksons were born in Gary, IN. It was Gary that shaped them. Berry is from Detroit. Motown is a Detroit thing. It has nothing to do with GA. The Motown sound is TIMELESS! If we are here 100 years from now, Motown tracks will still be played. I can imagine the history and humanity books, 100 years from now, will classify the Motown sound as a genre. Gladys Knight was a part of that.

Shame on you for not mentioning one of the baddest cats out of SC: John Birks Gillespie. Better known as Dizzy Gillespie! Admittedly, I love very few people. I love Dizzy Gillespie! I love him more than I love Miles Davis, a Midwesterner. I love him more than I love Charlie "Yardbird" Parker, also a Midwesterner.

http://newsone.com/1323095/chicago-h...is-own-street/

Old 10-26-2013, 09:33 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I work with this cat who told me that he was surprised that Tookie Williams, founder/ leader of the Crips, is from Louisiana. I promptly told him, Larry Hoover is from Mississippi. The dynamics in L.A. and Chicago respectively, shaped Tookie into "Tookie" and Larry into "Larry". The dynamics to create Crips and Disciples were not in place in MS or LA.
I wouldn't be so quick to suggest that. Shreveport, where Tookie was born, is now a gang run city, with bad crime. Tookie could have done the same things there.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:34 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to suggest that. Shreveport, where Tookie was born, is now a gang run city, with bad crime. Tookie could have done the same things there.
Note to self: cancel trip to Shreveport, vampires are not the only thing to be feared. Especially now that Shreveport "...is now a gang run city..." Spare me the hyperbole.

Read carefully: the dynamics that created urban street gangs were not in place in the South in the 60s and 70s. Shreveport gangs are but one of many examples of young folk learning about gangs via Hollywood. Let me guess, Shreveport gangs call themselves Bloods? The first time we saw Colors, we thought that the Folks and Peoples were in L.A.! We didn't know that there were "gangs" outside of Chicago. Let alone surf and sun L.A.!

Sure, Tookie might have been a knucklehead on the mean streets of Shreveport. However, he would not have helped to found the Crips. South Central in the 60s and 70s was not the South. Don't tell me that "Tookie could have done the same things there." "Tookie" was created in L.A. not LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City