Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Region would you prefer to live in?
Midwest 249 60.44%
Down South 163 39.56%
Voters: 412. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:08 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,843,606 times

Advertisements

The Black History of my Hometown (Columbus, Georgia) - YouTube

"Ma" Rainey Home - The Black Heritage Trail - Columbus, Ga - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 08:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Hey, I lived in Fortson for ten years and then at Fort Benning for another three. YAY, COLUMBUS! I like that town.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:50 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,843,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey, I lived in Fortson for ten years and then at Fort Benning for another three. YAY, COLUMBUS! I like that town.
The gem of Georgia. You gotta love Columbus.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:14 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
What are some stand out dishes of the midwest? The one thing that strikes me as that there are often very specific and local specialties for specific cities but there doesn't seem to be much of specialties that are identified specifically and only as midwestern. This isn't really a bad thing, but I wonder if that's the impression others have too.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:29 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
So therefore, no one ever really created anything until you go all the way back to the dawn of mankind.
Huh? You DO realize that I never discredited the Midwest when it comes to music, right? I only made the factual statement that its contributions were based on foundational genres that came out of the South. It's nothing to get your feathers ruffled about.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:31 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What are some stand out dishes of the midwest? The one thing that strikes me as that there are often very specific and local specialties for specific cities but there doesn't seem to be much of specialties that are identified specifically and only as midwestern. This isn't really a bad thing, but I wonder if that's the impression others have too.
Chicago dog? Chili?

Old 10-28-2013, 11:20 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,857,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You've answered your own question. The Midwest is not a monolith in this regard. I've never gone outside of Chicagoland to St. Louis for Chicago style pizza, for instance. St. Louis does their own St. Louis style; and they do it damn well. I certainly wouldn't go to Kansas City for hot dogs. That's not to say that KC doesn't do hot dogs well. I'd go looking for the best BBQ in the city. Milwaukee is brat country, etc.

I wonder if others get the impression that the South only does fried chicken and collards.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:15 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Huh? America's cultural heritage isn't just about music which I could care less about to be honest. Cultural heritage is Education, literature, architecture, food, religion etc. etc.

The roots of all of those things are more ingrained in the South? I don't see it, not one bit. The South may lead the nation in music heritage and yes African Americans played a huge part in that but, come on.

After all, the South and blacks only go together because of that whole slavery thing. Sad to say but, Africans probably wouldn't have made it to the U.S. in significant numbers until the early twentieth century if it wasn't for them unwillingly hitching a ride from the Europeans. Last time I checked, no African nation is renowned for there ship building abilities.
Ummm...then your checking is off.
Were you not aware of Egypt,Nubia(Sudan),Somalia,Mali,Nigeria etc ?

You are wrong.African boat building goes back over 8000 years ago.One of the oldest boats in the world was found in Nigeria in 1987.

Do you even know that most historians agree that Christopher Columbus was not even close to being the first to discover America?You should brush up on history.Racial bias in the past has led to some common knowledge of history to be reexamined.

In many cultures such as African cultures,music is more than something just to sing along and dance to.Its also how many cultures retell their traditions and history through song.It most certainly is heritage.
Music is art as well.

Your idea of history is quite devoid of influence of Africa.The birth place of mankind.

We can get into all kinds of hypothetical arguments but what is the point as it pertains to this subject?

If the Native Americans had not assisted the settlers on survival their would be no America.
Again whats the point?

Old 10-29-2013, 01:33 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,857,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Ummm...then your checking is off.
Were you not aware of Egypt,Nubia(Sudan),Somalia,Mali,Nigeria etc ?

You are wrong.African boat building goes back over 8000 years ago.One of the oldest boats in the world was found in Nigeria in 1987.

Do you even know that most historians agree that Christopher Columbus was not even close to being the first to discover America?You should brush up on history.Racial bias in the past has led to some common knowledge of history to be reexamined.

In many cultures such as African cultures,music is more than something just to sing along and dance to.Its also how many cultures retell their traditions and history through song.It most certainly is heritage.
Music is art as well.

Your idea of history is quite devoid of influence of Africa.The birth place of mankind.

We can get into all kinds of hypothetical arguments but what is the point as it pertains to this subject?

If the Native Americans had not assisted the settlers on survival their would be no America.
Again whats the point?
I can only give two rep points. That said, you deserve more! Very well done!

Indeed, one way or another, we got around this globe.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:51 AM

254 posts, read 419,212 times
Culture and history?

A few words:

James Oglethorpe, the Creek Nation of Indians, the founding tribes of Georgia, the colonial history of Georgia. And this is just one single state in the South. The south is riddiled with history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City