Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:25 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,215,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Madison has the most bars & restaurants per capita, but too many of them cater to the college crowd.
Actually I thought Cudahy, WI did. It's a smaller suburb right outside of Milwaukee, but I thought it made itself into Guiness at one point. It only has a population of 18,500, but there are bars EVERYWHERE. They are mainly small dive bars that don't get too crowded, but they are there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 02:39 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,502,228 times
Atlantic City?? What good clubs do they have there?? Never been there, so I would really like to know.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:43 PM

294 posts, read 782,188 times
Is Boston really know for it's nightlife???

Memphis should not be on the list.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:46 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladt View Post

Rolling Stone once said that Beale Street in Memphis is the 2nd best party street in the country after Bourbon Street in New Orleans.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:04 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:

Actually, yeah... Boston is known for its nightlife. It's frequently ranked in the top 10 by Forbes and other groups. It has a great pub scene, but also excellent clubs. I read a USA Today article not too long ago about Boston and New York having the most selective nightclubs in the U.S. (the article was about how someone from LA rejected from a Boston club planned to sue for discrimination).

I wouldn't rank it above Las Vegas, New York, Miami, LA or Chicago, but absolutely in the top 10. There's just a ton to do and a wide variety of venues. Boston has some of the best pubs (Blackstone Block area), Sports Bars (Near the Garden and along Lansdowne St), Upscale Clubs (Theatre District, Lansdowne), Rock Clubs (Many in Cambridge), and not to mention the vast array of neighborhood bars.

I think much of this has to do with the fact that it has such a large concentration of younger people (College Kids, Grad Students, Young Professionals, etc).

I wasn't a big fan of Memphis either (or Nashville for that matter). Part of that is simply because of the lack of variety (I HATE country music.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:14 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
Quote:

IMO, Boston is OK for the traditional nightlife scene. There's a lot of performing arts, baseball, etc, which I LOVE! They definitely close up shop early in Boston, which you would find strange in a place that's the epitome of college town. It's definitely more refined/reserved in some aspects. However, if you're a student it's not too bad though because it's more about house parties here, which are fun. That said you'd probably have more fun on a night in on, rather than a night out per say.

If you're looking for an all out wild party for party's sake and you're over 25, it might be a little on the dull side. I would say for the most part Boston is like "Party Lite" on the standard scene. Like Irfox said, people are more about pubs, sports bars and upscale, which tends to put it on the sterile side for me. (Get up and shake your groove thang Boston! Get WILD!) That said it could probably be in top 10.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 03-19-2009 at 03:28 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 09:59 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
I guess it would be
1. LA
2. MIA
3. NYC
4. LV
5. NO
6. CHI
7. AUSTIN
8. ATL
9. MEMPHIS
10. BOS

Old 03-20-2009, 08:32 AM

8,634 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Based on what I've experienced - When I think of nightlife, and/or best place to party:

Las Vegas
Miami
New York
L.A.
Chicago
San Francisco
D.C.
New Orleans
Austin
Honolulu

Props also to Atlanta, San Diego, Boston, Seattle, Minneapolis, Houston, Scottsdale, Dallas, Philly, Portland, and Denver.

If San Juan (PR) was considered, it would be #6 on my list (alot of crime though). Montreal would be #7 (if it were in the U.S.).

Old 03-20-2009, 08:40 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,492,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Rolling Stone once said that Beale Street in Memphis is the 2nd best party street in the country after Bourbon Street in New Orleans.
Just because a street is crowded doesnt mean its good nightlife

Old 03-20-2009, 09:23 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Just because a street is crowded doesnt mean its good nightlife

yeah, but its got great music. that helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City