Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2020, 01:59 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
As I was saying, I don't think that. It's many people I have come across in various places outside Atlanta. Maybe they are racist. I noticed especially in San Diego people had that image about this (but this was back in the early 2000's which isn't long after the 1990's as you mentioned). It's really just like any other American city. It has the areas to avoid but it has a lot of nice areas as well. Detroit is another city that people have a negative image of, and even that city has good areas including Downtown (the riverfront, Renn Center, Greektown, etc.)
Detroit I consider a ghetto city not because it’s black but because it’s extremely impoverished, extremely high crime, mostly abandoned and extremely undereducated.

Sure there are good parts of Detroit-but you’d still have to live in Detroit.

I live in Baltimore-it’s a ghetto city. Doesn’t mean I don’t like it but yea...ghetto, overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 11:47 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBrother615 View Post
Baltimore, STL and NO is not a major city. It's 3 major cities in 3 different regions of the US. Chicago is still the most violent major city in America.

And actually Chicago is at 369 homicides so far this year plus 1,876 shooting victims.
It doesn't matter that they're major cities or not when the combined population between those cities is more than two times lower than Chicago's and their combined murder total is higher than Chicago's.

Last edited by Aceter; 07-15-2020 at 12:04 AM..

Old 07-15-2020, 01:00 AM

6,726 posts, read 6,724,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbroo View Post
Bonnyville, AB: 2 (33.4 per 100K)
Wow 33.4 per 100k at it's still just July. I think we've established that Bonnyville is the Baltimore of Canada. Don't know if there's a defund the policeman thing there, but won't be long til people start fleeing to Cold Lake, or believe it or not, Edmonton. Don't know who'll be there to protect the innocent if a nasty snowball fight breaks out after the first snow, which will probably be in a couple weeks.

Old 07-15-2020, 07:08 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
One killed in downtown Holyoke MA last night. Their third.

One found inside a store shot to the head in Roxbury MA last night. Homicide detectives were called in, will update.

Old 07-15-2020, 07:29 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,930,794 times
Flint, MI is at 25 homicides until July 12th according to Flint Police, a 39% increase over last year and with a population of 95.500 a rate of 26.2.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:10 AM

52 posts, read 48,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Just the image because of the crime and violence and poverty, and also because people in other cities (maybe and hopefully without racist intentions) think of it as such because of the large African-American population and the rap scene. It also has a lot of the thug culture not seen in other cities. San Diego is on the opposite end of the spectrum, and is seen as rich and high class.
I understand how one could perceive Atlanta as being ghetto but I personally don’t think that’s the case. It has its areas that are poverty stricken and prone to violence but so do most American cities. The huge African-American population in the ATL metro itself is very diverse. If just looking at media such as television or hip hop music then I agree that it can be easy for someone not really familiar with Atlanta to label the place as being “ghetto”. However, the city is full of Fortune companies, has a diverse economy, and is gaining population every year.

Then again, there’s been this perception for the past several years that the prominent cities of the west coast are wealthy and high class compared to some of the southern and midwest cities that people perceive as being “impoverished, violent, and/or ghetto” without having been there before. Oftentimes when people travel to these cities, they realize that the cities aren’t what they thought they were going to be like (in a good way).

Comparing most American cities to San Diego (crime wise and poverty wise) will make the other city look inferior most of the time. San Diego’s murder rate is one of the lowest for any big city in the country.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:24 AM

4,232 posts, read 2,456,080 times
St Louis at 129. On track to have a homicide rate meeting or exceeding crack epidemic New Orleans/ D.C. levels

Old 07-15-2020, 09:34 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
You know whats insane for me? Is that despite NYC in the 28 day period from 6/15 - 7/12 having an increase of 227.8% shooting victims, over the same period last year (318 victims vs 97 victims), the homicides during the same period are virtually the same (41 homicides 2020 vs 38 homicides in 2019).

Not sustainable. NYC is due for a HUGE correction.

Old 07-15-2020, 11:19 AM

278 posts, read 140,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleXAs View Post
You know whats insane for me? Is that despite NYC in the 28 day period from 6/15 - 7/12 having an increase of 227.8% shooting victims, over the same period last year (318 victims vs 97 victims), the homicides during the same period are virtually the same (41 homicides 2020 vs 38 homicides in 2019).

Not sustainable. NYC is due for a HUGE correction.
Because before people shot to kill. Now they're just shooting to shoot. That shooting increase is over blown too.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:41 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Atlanta a a ghetto city? Maybe in the 1990s.

I think of it as an extremely suburban bougie black people city mostly. With some of black people who live in otherwise decent areas just acting out like their in the trenches (a few too many of them) when in reality they live in a 4BR, 3 BD new construction home in the city with the most positive black role models and opportunity for economic success in the known universe lol. That being said ATL does have its legitimate ghetto areas but its definitely not a majority of the city or even a plurality...

If you really truly think Atlanta is a ghetto city you’re Probably just racist. Or watch too many rap videos. And honestly compared to less heralded or less well-known rap in other cities Atlanta is Rob is downright lighthearted fun and upbeat
Atlanta still has a high murder rate tho. I think the issue with ATL is that is it attracts both bougie and ghetto types which dilute its numbers. I know many black people who want to move to ATL not because of success but because of media reasons attached to ratchet activity.

But as a black man I agree that the ghettos in ATL are easy to avoid. I go every year and never found myself in a ghetto area. I cant say the same for a place like Baltimore where the hood just hits you in the face.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City