Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2020, 11:36 PM

278 posts, read 140,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Chicago was never seen as a wondrous capital of the world or the US. It merely went head to head with NYC way back before NYC and Brooklyn and Boroughs merged then it was not destined to overtake it. Too interior and seen as more severe winters always. That still effects it.

No one ever says it would be a wondrous capital since the early 20th century at best. Now if it was East Coast or especially, in a milder waterfront environment? Perhaps it really would have taken off. It still had to be where it is to be what it did grow into.

Again, crime is not new in hoods it has had for decades and as most American cities had. Many World cities have slums actually built as slums for most of their existence. Many evolved to be great to degrees. Such cities as Rio and even Mexico city since you mentioned Mexico or someone did for crime.

Most US cities never were destined to be a Paris or London or even NYC. They each were their key city of a Nation. Many other cities gave their niche in world renown status for even just in past histories and glory.

Some note if even Philadelphia could or should have been destined for a more renown nature and size especially it should have remained the Nation's Capitol. Then mighty NYC also said otherwise as it became the premier city.

Crime to homeless blemish a so called greatness they had or should have/could have. Some boast for our rising sunbelt cities now. They may grow quickly and even have degrees of greatness and value. So far in the world NONE stand out as being a new Great wondrous capital of the world in the making.

Chicago and Philadelphia were overshadowed by might NYC as the key entry for immigrants for the fastest growth period of out Nation. It was destined to be what it is apparently. LA has clearly its niche too. The legacy of Chi and Phil and other cities, still remains and exist in degrees. Their cores are still 2 of the best in the Nation. Neither are claimed to be tops in one category. Each has its blemishes as most US cities have.

In a way, Chicago has a higher value or knowledge of in the world. Then it did 40 50 yrs ago. It still is not all about crime either. Just the Al Capone era to Blues it is known for and another American city of skyscrapers that are really common in all the world now.Not merely crime as you claim. Even the Bean ( Cloud Gate ) sculpture became a social media mentioned thing some note for the city and copied in China. The city still gets credit for the first official skyscraper also and American noteworthy Architecture to those who it matters for in interest and held the tallest building for nearly a 1/4 century.

Guess a side topic is not too far off topic over homicide rates alone hopefully.
Alot of people willingly ignore the many factors that go into crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 11:59 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
I just feel like if Chicago has 700+ murders this year, it will not be the last time Chicago sees that many in this decade. I thought this new decade was finally going to be Chicago's redemption, and that people would say "Oh yeah Chicago was dangerous in the 2010s but not anymore", but this year's beginning to feel like just the beginning of a whole new decade of high crime in Chicago.

I remember back in 2006 me and my friend were playing True Crime NYC and he got the entire map green (safe with no crime), and he said to his mom who was about 40 "mom look New York is the safest city in the world!" in a joking manner, to which she replied "Ha! Yeah right, good one". And in 2004 on a field trip to New York, my dad who was 50 said New York is a cesspool. A CESSPOOL!, in 2004! These instances just remind you of how long stereotypes stick around and how with people over a certain age, stereotypes can never be broken.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:07 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times
NYPD: 14 shootings reported across NYC overnight, including 3 in

18 shot overnight in NYC, in 14 shooting incidents. 2 homicides.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:05 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I just feel like if Chicago has 700+ murders this year, it will not be the last time Chicago sees that many in this decade. I thought this new decade was finally going to be Chicago's redemption, and that people would say "Oh yeah Chicago was dangerous in the 2010s but not anymore", but this year's beginning to feel like just the beginning of a whole new decade of high crime in Chicago.

I remember back in 2006 me and my friend were playing True Crime NYC and he got the entire map green (safe with no crime), and he said to his mom who was about 40 "mom look New York is the safest city in the world!" in a joking manner, to which she replied "Ha! Yeah right, good one". And in 2004 on a field trip to New York, my dad who was 50 said New York is a cesspool. A CESSPOOL!, in 2004! These instances just remind you of how long stereotypes stick around and how with people over a certain age, stereotypes can never be broken.
Unless the right wants to stop using Chicago as a political football, then that was never going to happen. Not with Trump actively fighting with Pritzker and Lightfoot.

Chicago had a similar crime rate in the 2000s, barring the spikes seen in 2016 and now again, and it completely flew under the national radar. Hell, Trump was even praising it back then. Then Obama became president and that all changed.

There's a reason why Chicago's crime rate became the big conservative news story even though it was maintaining a rate similar to DC, Atlanta, Philly, etc. Chicago had become scary and crime ridden, even though little had changed on the ground, and the other cities did not. I wonder why.

I do agree though that the rate is too damn high for not only Chicago but every other city I mentioned, my current home city of St. Louis is included, etc. That being said, the stereotype isn't going away anytime soon. The question then becomes once all of this is over is if Chicago's business class appeal and tourist appeal gets hurt. Thus far, pre-Covid, it hadn't been.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:03 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Unless the right wants to stop using Chicago as a political football, then that was never going to happen. Not with Trump actively fighting with Pritzker and Lightfoot.

Chicago had a similar crime rate in the 2000s, barring the spikes seen in 2016 and now again, and it completely flew under the national radar. Hell, Trump was even praising it back then. Then Obama became president and that all changed.

There's a reason why Chicago's crime rate became the big conservative news story even though it was maintaining a rate similar to DC, Atlanta, Philly, etc. Chicago had become scary and crime ridden, even though little had changed on the ground, and the other cities did not. I wonder why.

I do agree though that the rate is too damn high for not only Chicago but every other city I mentioned, my current home city of St. Louis is included, etc. That being said, the stereotype isn't going away anytime soon. The question then becomes once all of this is over is if Chicago's business class appeal and tourist appeal gets hurt. Thus far, pre-Covid, it hadn't been.
If it makes you feel any better it seems most people prefer Chicago over Atlanta for living and visiting. Atlanta is one of the most hated cities in the United States and in 2020, it is showing that it deserves its reputation for being a ghetto city.

I think overall in this decade for most US cities the trend will be upward (and not in a good way) from the 40 year lows we were seeing recently back toward the late 1980's/early 1990's crack epidemic days. It may not get that high, but I don't forsee much progress at this rate.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:13 AM

52 posts, read 48,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
If it makes you feel any better it seems most people prefer Chicago over Atlanta for living and visiting. Atlanta is one of the most hated cities in the United States and in 2020, it is showing that it deserves its reputation for being a ghetto city.

I think overall in this decade for most US cities the trend will be upward (and not in a good way) from the 40 year lows we were seeing recently back toward the late 1980's/early 1990's crack epidemic days. It may not get that high, but I don't forsee much progress at this rate.
Just out of curiosity, what makes Atlanta a “ghetto city”?

Old 07-14-2020, 11:42 AM

278 posts, read 140,371 times
Quote:

The only way that happens is if the government refuses to help citizens.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdiii94 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what makes Atlanta a “ghetto city”?
Just the image because of the crime and violence and poverty, and also because people in other cities (maybe and hopefully without racist intentions) think of it as such because of the large African-American population and the rap scene. It also has a lot of the thug culture not seen in other cities. San Diego is on the opposite end of the spectrum, and is seen as rich and high class.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:29 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Just the image because of the crime and violence and poverty, and also because people in other cities (maybe and hopefully without racist intentions) think of it as such because of the large African-American population and the rap scene. It also has a lot of the thug culture not seen in other cities. San Diego is on the opposite end of the spectrum, and is seen as rich and high class.
Atlanta a a ghetto city? Maybe in the 1990s.

I think of it as an extremely suburban bougie black people city mostly. With some of black people who live in otherwise decent areas just acting out like their in the trenches (a few too many of them) when in reality they live in a 4BR, 3 BD new construction home in the city with the most positive black role models and opportunity for economic success in the known universe lol. That being said ATL does have its legitimate ghetto areas but its definitely not a majority of the city or even a plurality...

If you really truly think Atlanta is a ghetto city you’re Probably just racist. Or watch too many rap videos. And honestly compared to less heralded or less well-known rap in other cities Atlanta is Rob is downright lighthearted fun and upbeat

Old 07-14-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Atlanta a a ghetto city? Maybe in the 1990s.

I think of it as an extremely suburban bougie black people city mostly. With some of black people who live in otherwise decent areas just acting out like their in the trenches (a few too many of them) when in reality they live in a 4BR, 3 BD new construction home in the city with the most positive black role models and opportunity for economic success in the known universe lol. That being said ATL does have its legitimate ghetto areas but its definitely not a majority of the city or even a plurality...

If you really truly think Atlanta is a ghetto city you’re Probably just racist. Or watch too many rap videos. And honestly compared to less heralded or less well-known rap in other cities Atlanta is Rob is downright lighthearted fun and upbeat
As I was saying, I don't think that. It's many people I have come across in various places outside Atlanta. Maybe they are racist. I noticed especially in San Diego people had that image about this (but this was back in the early 2000's which isn't long after the 1990's as you mentioned). It's really just like any other American city. It has the areas to avoid but it has a lot of nice areas as well. Detroit is another city that people have a negative image of, and even that city has good areas including Downtown (the riverfront, Renn Center, Greektown, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City