Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 05:42 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Not surprised at all you think he is funny.
Not only do I think he's funny, but I think he made some good points.
Quote:
Here is a list of the most powerful city brands. Odddly enough neither Toronto nor Philly made the list but Vancouver did for Canada.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...s3U/edit#gid=0

I read this interesting take on Toronto's new found "fame".:

Ford vs Toronto: Battle of the Brands

Not a lot is know about Toronto world wide.I suspect Philly might have the slight edge.
Not sure how powerful brands = more well known city?

Old 05-20-2014, 05:48 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Not only do I think he's funny, but I think he made some good points.

Not sure how powerful brands = more well known city?
The list is nonsense - no Hong Kong, Prague, Budapest, Montreal, Boston, Athens, Toronto, Philly, Orlando etc... but they got Chittagong and Hanoi

The only reason he even dusted off this irrelevant and bogus list is because Atlanta finally made it onto a list

Old 05-20-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The list is nonsense - no Hong Kong, Prague, Budapest, Montreal, Boston, Athens, Toronto, Philly, Orlando etc... but they got Chittagong and Hanoi

The only reason he even dusted off this irrelevant and bogus list is because Atlanta finally made it onto a list
Yeah that list looks very weird. It's about time Atlanta has made some type of list though. LOL.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
As for Toronto:

U of Toronto is proud to be the home away from home to almost 10,000 international students from over 150 countries.
International | Discover U of T

York U has 5,000+ or so.
http://yorkinternational.yorku.ca/fi...pNov2013-1.pdf

Not sure about Ryerson or the 4 main community colleges. They do get a lot as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCycling View Post
I don't know any numbers offhand, but I'd imagine the number is much bigger for Toronto. The University of Toronto has over 83,000 students, whereas all of Drexel, Temple and Penn add up to about 89,000. It's a tough comparison to evaluate it in terms of "international draw", since Penn, for example, is incredibly selective at the undergraduate level, whereas UofT isn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
this link would suggest 11% of the current class for Penn

Penn: Penn Facts

13% for Drexel
Facts and Figures | Undergraduate Admissions | Drexel University

this is what I could find for Temple

over 2,000 International studens from >100 countries

Temple University Succeeds in Attracting Global Students | Global Philadelphia Association
Cool, interesting links.

Of course the amount of International students plays no role in how important or accomplished a school is, but it is a way of spreading your city's brand around the globe. If you have a family member, friend, co-worker, etc..who went away or is away for school, you naturally will want to get to know a bit about the city they are living in for the next few years. Seems like TO and Philly both have a decent amount.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:37 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebleu View Post
I don't think Montreal is the quintessential Canadian city. Quebec wants to distance itself from Canada as much as possible politically, economically and culturally.

Ottawa is probably a more "quintessential" Canadian city, in that it exemplifies many of the things people think about Canada. (Cold, proper, clean, urban but not densely populated, diverse but still mostly white, safe, English but also French, etc)
Toronto serves the purpose to Canada as New York does to the United States. Toronto is much more foreign born than Montreal is. In fact more than 50% of it's population was born outside of Canada. It may be a Canadian city but it's a global city first and foremost, it has the staggering population of immigrants to assert itself into that claim.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:56 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Toronto serves the purpose to Canada as New York does to the United States. Toronto is much more foreign born than Montreal is. In fact more than 50% of it's population was born outside of Canada. It may be a Canadian city but it's a global city first and foremost, it has the staggering population of immigrants to assert itself into that claim.
I think it's an interesting thought and agree with you. I mentioned a few pages back that Montreal/Philly would make a better comparison. And yes, it really is staggering how diverse Toronto is-in fact diversity is what I first think of when I think of Toronto. It's really a great city that is building/growing like crazy and segregation seems to be much, much less of a problem than in NYC.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:42 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Yeah that list looks very weird. It's about time Atlanta has made some type of list though. LOL.

If it were true that comment might bother me.But you and I know its not so you both look desperate for even bringing Atlanta up.

You cant counter with the thread at hand so like usual you try attacking where I live ?LOL
You are so childish.Don't you have homework to do?

Last edited by afonega1; 05-20-2014 at 10:00 AM..

Old 05-20-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
most powerful city brands? What does this have to do definitively with how well known a city is. I can buy the list in a 'general' sense with some cities more than others, but 'powerful' city brand isn't exactly corollary with how well 'known' a city would be in the world collectively - which is much harder to gauge. I can't imagine Atlanta being more well known than Rome and Tokyo for instance (assuming the list is in order). Aside from both Toronto and Philly being absent - I notice cities like Orlando, Montreal, Boston, Frankfurt, Athens, Budapest and Prague aren't on it and those cities come to my mind immediately probably others. Sofia more brand powerful than Budapest. Chittagong more brand power than Athens, Algiers more brand power than Frankfurt - for real lol and most of all HK not on the list???.... The more I think of it the more daft this list is!
Its an aspect of what a city is known for.
Like L.A. is number one and by who.

Im not saying the list is all that great because you are right some cities probably should be on the list that are not and some should be higher.

But remember this is not a list of who is more popular or well known but how a city has projected its brand with its products(assets) and image(buzz strength)

Old 05-20-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Do you really want to bring Atlanta an(which is an Alpha- world city) into a thread about Toronto?
Im trying REALLY hard NOT to talk about Atlanta in this thread so STOP bringing it up!

I have said it before people know where Toronto is but they know very little about it.

You think the average person knows about the Toronto Film Festival or thinks about that and not pop culture like Rocky?

Last edited by afonega1; 05-20-2014 at 10:15 AM..

Old 05-20-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I think it's an interesting thought and agree with you. I mentioned a few pages back that Montreal/Philly would make a better comparison. And yes, it really is staggering how diverse Toronto is-in fact diversity is what I first think of when I think of Toronto. It's really a great city that is building/growing like crazy and segregation seems to be much, much less of a problem than in NYC.
Good post. I do agree MTL and Philly would be a more "at-level" comparison.
Quote:
Bless your heart.I know you do.
If it were true that comment might bother me.But you and I know its not so you really look foolish.

You cant counter with the thread at hand so like usual you try attacking where I live ?LOL
You are so childish.Don't you have homework to do?

Learn how to stay on topic.
Cool story bro.

Last edited by mrjun18; 05-20-2014 at 10:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City