Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 05:57 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
In the city?

Rittenhouse Square
Society Hill
Fitler Square
Logan Square
Old City
Washington Square West
Chestnut Hill
Graduate Hospital
Bella Vista
Queen Village
Fairmount
Northern Liberties
West Mt. Airy

^^These would probably be the top desirable wealthy neighborhoods in the city.
Ah ok thanks - some nice housing stock in those places!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:04 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Weather View Post
Huh?
Trenton is a part of the NYC area, not Philadelphia technically. Not that hard to understand. What are you not sophisticated enough or something?

Old 05-19-2014, 06:05 PM

Nice aerial of Philly

Old 05-19-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Your profile claims your age is 24, so if you went to college you're just 2 years out. I don't think you're earning potential is up there kiddo. You want me to believe a firm of sort hired you out of college and gave you an advanced salary? I am not better than you but pointing out that people from working class backgrounds are more bronze than brains, their macho tough guy routine lands them felonies and criminal records because they get emotionally driven to beat people up for criticizing their city. Which is what you said you'll do to people criticizing Philly. It's a crime to hurt people, tell your passionate friends that.

In Boston you touch and I sue. We don't have crime culture like Philly though which is one reason why Boston's more desirable.
Haha you're taking this a little too far my friend. You seem upset. I never said I would hurt you, don't be afraid.

When did I say I grew up in a working class background? I grew up in a pretty well off suburb of Philadelphia.

If you want I can upload a copy of my pay stub on here for the whole world to see, then you'll truly be embarrassed.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:17 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
In Boston you touch and I sue. We don't have crime culture like Philly though which is one reason why Boston's more desirable.
LOL. That's cute.

Deep inside the Whitey Bulger story - CBS News

Old 05-19-2014, 06:24 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Torontonians and Canadians in general tend to gravitate more towards apartment style living than Americans. The people who buy a house with a white picket fence in Toronto albeit with a small lot are typically more well off than those who live in apartment buildings or condo's... I think the value of housing will remain high and simply will continue to attract the more wealthy and it'll be the condo's that will attract the middle class. The middle class already has and will have a difficult time affording a house. A condo though is doable. They are even starting to build larger condo's now geared towards families. If you want to buy an affordable house than you will need to buy on the outskirts of the GTA in places like Hamilton and Oshawa and commute to work.
Right, so it sounds like condo living is the truly the only viable, affordable option for the average family in the Toronto area.

I mean, there's certainly a market for condos for families, but I think most people raising children, if given the option, would choose a single-family home with some sort of private yard space, especially if they're going to be shelling out $1 million.

So, once again, if we're still actually doing legitimate intellectual comparisons of both cities on this thread, it's apparent to me that a middle-class family would be able to live much more comfortably in the Philadelphia area. There you can fairly easily attain a SFH with a decent-sized yard in a nice suburb for under 300K.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Do it and try to embarrass me kiddo. Grad school, salary, company, job description, etc. Show us publicly.

I'm not upset. It's Philadelphians that are upset that I said that Philly is cheap for a reason. You don't need to say you're working class, anyone saying "talk **** about my city and get your teeth knocked out" is working class. Not sophisticated or civilized enough to realize violence is wrong. People from a burb like Villanova wouldn't say that, they are smart enough to know better. You're trying to defend Philly's crime rep but you're doing Philly a disservice kiddo.
Lol kiddo. You're cute. Not from Villanova. From Bucks County actually. And I didn't say I would do that, I said if you talked like that in Philly that would happen. End of story. You seem to be really full of yourself. So sophisticated and civilized you are but you make less than a 24 year old. Go Bostonian! So wealthy you are! You're so much better than all of us!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:49 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Right, so it sounds like condo living is the truly the only viable, affordable option for the average family in the Toronto area.

I mean, there's certainly a market for condos for families, but I think most people raising children, if given the option, would choose a single-family home with some sort of private yard space, especially if they're going to be shelling out $1 million.

So, once again, if we're still actually doing legitimate intellectual comparisons of both cities on this thread, it's apparent to me that a middle-class family would be able to live much more comfortably in the Philadelphia area. There you can fairly easily attain a SFH with a decent-sized yard in a nice suburb for under 300K.
Well I'm a gay male and I live with my partner so we don't want to really raise a family. Now that he recently got his PR card we are going to buy a condo because it suits our lifestyle of living DT. We can afford a decent sized condo and are looking around. Many of the people who are buying condo's are either like my partner and I (DT Toronto has an exceptional large and relatively affluent gay population), retired so they sell their house and move DT into a Condo to live by cultural amenities, or young recent graduates who are single and want to live and work DT. I know many friends who actually buy condo's together and live and work here and enjoy their life. If they meet someone they will sell it and use the proceeds of the money they make towards the downpayment of a house if they desire to. I think demographically DT Toronto isn't going to attract 'traditional' families like some other cities.

Ultimately families if they want a home that is around 300K they won't find that within the city of Toronto they'll have to go outside the city which they will do. I work with many people who do the daily 45-60 minute commute who live outside the city and they are almost always straight people raising a family. There are larger sized condo's that are mid rise and other more densely packed housing (than traditional semi and detached homes) - Townhouse/stacked housing communities going up all around the city that cater to smaller families and these folk seem happy to move into them whilst living and working in the city (for about 400-500K which is more affordable than traditional housing). So yeah, if a place is appealing to folk - its going to come at a premium if they want a big traditional house. Is it ideal for the middle class who want a family and live the American dream of a big house in the burbs - no but it might be ok as a hybrid dream for a widely varied Canadian Demographic.

Toronto isn't NYC but at the same time what do families do if they want to live in NYC. It ain't so cheap for a house there either is it -even a modest one in a decent nabe will cost ya. So no, Toronto isn't NYC but its probably moved up the scale in terms of being a desirable place to live for many. It attracts growth, jobs and investment - basically we aren't in Kansas anymore and ultimately that comes with a price tag.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-19-2014 at 07:33 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 07:08 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Huh?
Sarcasm not your thing? I even put a smiley face...

Good luck next time champ.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Sarcasm not your thing? I even put a smiley face...

Good luck next time champ.
He seems to be struggling a little for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City