Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 01:34 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
True. But today, aint nobody checking for the Liberty Bell lol. Outside the U.S. the Bell is barely even known.
Name recognition, Id say Toronto is more well known around the world than Philly is today, even with the extensive history that Philly advantage has.
Hard to gauge but no denying all the people from around the world coming and going Toronto in relation to Philly. I'm pretty sure those coming/going EWR are more likely to be coming/going the black hole that is NYC.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
actually the liberty bell is very well visited by foreign tourists, more american tourists though

On the airports would imagine that Toronto is busier, Philly is a hub and a large not huge international presence. One thing to remember with the Toronto airport is that a lot of flights will be international to US.

Probably a fairer way to compare would be non US/Canadian travel for both - though am pretty sure Toronot would win pretty handily on Int'l travel. Also people from Philly do routinely use EWR and JFK especially for Int'l flights
Toronto is doing a good job of attracting U.S pax connecting traffic but the O/D numbers are still very strong. That is people originating from Toronto going to International places and People from International places terminating in Toronto. So essential Toronto is the destination point for these people.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:41 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
actually the liberty bell is very well visited by foreign tourists, more american tourists though

On the airports would imagine that Toronto is busier, Philly is a hub and a large not huge international presence. One thing to remember with the Toronto airport is that a lot of flights will be international to US.

Probably a fairer way to compare would be non US/Canadian travel for both - though am pretty sure Toronot would win pretty handily on Int'l travel. Also people from Philly do routinely use EWR and JFK especially for Int'l flights
Exactly. Also, a lot of people coming from Asian cities will transfer flights in San Francisco or LAX and then head to Philly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Hard to gauge but no denying all the people from around the world coming and going Toronto in relation to Philly. I'm pretty sure those coming/going EWR are more likely to be coming/going the black hole that is NYC.
EWR serves both NYC and Philly actually. You'd be surprised how many people actually use EWR. It's a significant amount from Philly. My girlfriends parents do it regularly.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I'm sure I could find this, but I am lazy.

Does anyone have any numbers as to how many International students arrive in both cities each year? Something that I have noticed from traveling across the world, is one of the first things people in other countries speak about when it comes to other cities is Higher Education. UofT, PENN, York, Drexel, etc...would seem to be an International draw for people?
I don't have anything for Philly but this article states Toronto welcomed 100K International students in 2013 which has risen sharply over the last decade.

Canada one of the most affordable places for foreign students, survey finds - National | Globalnews.ca

Old 05-19-2014, 01:44 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebleu View Post
It is easy to blame Toronto of lacking defining features... but you could say the same thing about Montreal, or any other Canadian city. (Though Americans love Montreal because they talk French, its like a cheap trip to France)

For example, Toronto has awesome portuguese rotisserie chicken, owing to its huge portuguese population, that is widespread and popular around the city. This is pretty unique. Bet no American knows about that.

The issue is that Americans know nothing about Canada because the media doesn't cover it. You have movies, tv shows, music, etc, made about American cities. Outside of Philly, no one would know of the famous cheesesteak if it wasn't for the media. That is how everything becomes popular.

Canada is a small country population-wise, so it will never have the exposure the U.S. does.

Toronto (and the rest of Canada) has alot to offer but you have to be willing to explore, instead of being led there by others.
We do experience various forms of Canadian media here in the States, its just not as influential as the US.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:53 PM

111 posts, read 166,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
We do experience various forms of Canadian media here in the States, its just not as influential as the US.
Actually, for Canadian shows to get airtime in the U.S., they will likely have to blur out any Canadian reference. Most canadian shows here NEVER mention that they are set in Toronto or Vancouver. Its almost like a requirement. Examples that come to mind are Rookie Blue and Flashpoint. The rare exception is Degrassi.

We have a few Canadian cable shows that I can think of. Other than that, I don't see Canada and its cities overtly mentioned in the media. Can you give me an example?

Old 05-19-2014, 01:56 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
I don't have anything for Philly but this article states Toronto welcomed 100K International students in 2013 which has risen sharply over the last decade.

Canada one of the most affordable places for foreign students, survey finds - National | Globalnews.ca
Thanks for the article. Just one note though, that 100k figure is for all of Canada not just Toronto. Can't seem to find one for specifically Toronto and Philly though.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:57 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,542 times
The Liberty Bell isn't a foreign tourist attraction? I was in Independence Park on a Friday a couple weeks ago and a sizable minority of the people waiting in line to see the Liberty Bell were Chinese and Korean tourists. Granted it does not have the tourist allure of Times Square, Rockefeller Center, or the Empire State Building, but New York just blows every other city in the world out of the water and isn't a fair comparison.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:00 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
I have no vitriol against Philly whatsoever. I know Afonega's modus operandi.. He isn't even from Toronto and yet this isn't the first and won't be the last thread involving Toronto where he'll come in and try and turn something that is a strength of Toronto - harmony of its very diverse people into a weakness which is that it doesn't have a strong enough 'identity' - he'll try to personify places as a much as possible and then bring in comparisons to other cities that aren't in the thread to further 'chip' away at Toronto and make it a T.O vs the world thread. This from a person who hasn't been to TIFF, hasn't been to one of the cities' many festivals, knows very few Torontonians, isn't familiar with its architecture and isn't familiar with its theatre scene which is the third largest in the English speaking world as examples.
Again dude.Get your facts straight.This is a CITY VS CITY forum.You are just a homer for Toronto and cannot take any criticism.

So because I have not been to a festival in Toronto I somehow cannot talk about the city?I have never been to a festival in Montreal,NYC,Chicago or many other cities but I still came away loving those cities.
Don't get mad because people leave Toronto and forget it shortly after.

I have been to Toronto.Its just not interesting enough for me to like it like you do.

But you don't know me.You are the one talking about Philly and have NEVER even been there!
How can you compare two cities if you have only been to one?

You keep attacking me and i will attack back,Im being very patient.You are getting personal..

Old 05-19-2014, 02:00 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I'm sure I could find this, but I am lazy.

Does anyone have any numbers as to how many International students arrive in both cities each year? Something that I have noticed from traveling across the world, is one of the first things people in other countries speak about when it comes to other cities is Higher Education. UofT, PENN, York, Drexel, etc...would seem to be an International draw for people?
this link would suggest 11% of the current class for Penn

Penn: Penn Facts

13% for Drexel
Facts and Figures | Undergraduate Admissions | Drexel University

this is what I could find for Temple

over 2,000 International studens from >100 countries

Temple University Succeeds in Attracting Global Students | Global Philadelphia Association
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City