Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 12:22 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
If I recall, lebleu did respond and asked to see overall crime statistics. Not just homicide figures from two years ago.
1. 2013 is not "two years ago". 2. In addition to Philadelphia having a lower homicide rate than cities like DC and Miami to name a few in 2013, the overall crime statistics in Philadelphia are lower than DC, Chicago or Miami (the other cities that were compared by homicide rate in the post by Summersm)

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

With that said, crime certainly needs to continue to decrease in all of these cities.

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2014 at 07:32 AM..

Old 05-19-2014, 12:24 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Had it. Honestly, not remarkable. Though I'm not a big fan of the philly cheesesteak either and just the usual deli sandwiches (hoagies) were better. I did find the sort of new American dining scene in Philadelphia pretty good and found Canto food in Toronto to be very good, too. I was surprised that the west indian food in Toronto seemed oddly lacking because it seemed like there was a pretty massive west indian population there.
I personally like the Peameal Bacon sandwich at Paddington's pump in St. Lawrence better than Carousel. Even though I like Carousel's quite a bit as well. Either way, spending time in St. Lawrence is a good time, with tons of great things to eat. Nat Geo gave it the accolades it did for a reason.

There is some good West Indian food as in solid to good Roti places and great Jamaican bakeries. But otherwise I agree with you, the West Indian food, especially Jamaican cooked food is pretty terrible.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:25 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You mean a lot of people in the US would know what you're talking about (add in Rocky), but otherwise I think not. Abroad, it'd probably be UPenn that puts it on a map for some, but relatively little else. I'm not saying this as a snub to Philly, but simply that most of the world doesn't care to know that much about the US aside from a few things here and there. The same goes for Toronto--the CN Tower isn't going to be recognizable as specifically Toronto to the vast majority of people outside Canada. It's not really much of a thing.
Actually I largely agree with this. Having said that, when I was in Turkey I met a friend from Istanbul and he did know of the CN Tower and Rogers Centre prior to meeting me. I think the CN Tower is quite familiar to most Americans though... They don't call it the CN Tower - they call it the CNN tower. Regardless - as I mentioned the most 'iconic' aspects of a city are probably among their least interesting anyway. I also think that TIFF surely has International fame for those in that cultural circle.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:28 PM

111 posts, read 166,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Pretty sure any american who has visited TO and walked down Rogers or College for even 2 minutes could notice it, but I agree that it is a nice unique feature of Toronto. Most of the "unique" foods that cities claim, somehow ended up there because of certain immigrant groups, so having excellent and authentic Churrasqueiras is something Toronto can claim as their own. Plus I can only think of 3 other cities in North America that have it, along with authentic Portuguese food as widely available as Toronto.
Americans may notice it when they visit TO, but they won't get it. The thing is, people usually have to be told something is special and unique for it to be special and unique to them. If people weren't told Philly Cheesesteaks are the best thing in Philly, they would just skip it thinking its a sandwich like any other.

For many, Toronto is just the land of diversity, relative peace, the CN tower and Rob Ford. Why? Because thats all the media says about it.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:29 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Absolutely and I refuse to get on the trash Philly bandwagon. Toronto doesn't have the same deep history or historical importance of Philly. I also think the architecture prior to WWII is more impressive than T.O because Philly was a more rich and important city. On the flip, Toronto is underrated for many pieces of its own architecture and post WWII the city has developed more prolific POMO and International scrapers than Philly. It also has two outstanding Museums - the ROM and AGO and very active cultural arts/festival scene. As an International and Cosmopolitan city from my vantage point i'd say that T.O is ahead.. Its been growing at a faster clip and is more dynamic. I don't think this is controversial to say at all to be honest in a general way but Philly looks to be a very interesting and urban destination.
I think Toronto is starting to appear on the map for alot of people lately. Personally I find it to be discussed as a travel destination among Americans more often now than anytime I can remember in the past. Philly as you noted started off stronger, but has slowed compared to Toronto's rapid and massive growth. Of course with such a rapid growth comes some pains, but overall Toronto has cemented itself as the premier city in Canada and will not be letting up anytime soon.

With that said, the articles I have been reading lately have shown that Philly's downtown population has been growing in recent years. I am not sure how much of that is due to the fact that American cities in general are starting to see growth in urban living, but it is a good sign nonetheless.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:30 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
1. 2013 is not "two years ago". 2. In addition to Philadelphia having a lower homicide rate than cities like DC and Miami to name a few in 2013, the overall crime statistics in Philadelphia are lower than DC, Chicago or Miami (the other cities that were compared by homicide rate in the post by Summersm)

With that said, crime certainly needs to continue to decrease in all of these cities.
Crime needs to decrease in all these cities for sure. But I'm comparing Philly to Toronto only as the OP indicated.

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2014 at 07:31 AM..

Old 05-19-2014, 12:31 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I think Toronto is starting to appear on the map for alot of people lately. Personally I find it to be discussed as a travel destination among Americans more often now than anytime I can remember in the past. Philly as you noted started off stronger, but has slowed compared to Toronto's rapid and massive growth. Of course with such a rapid growth comes some pains, but overall Toronto has cemented itself as the premier city in Canada and will not be letting up anytime soon.

With that said, the articles I have been reading lately have shown that Philly's downtown population has been growing in recent years. I am not sure how much of that is due to the fact that American cities in general are starting to see growth in urban living, but it is a good sign nonetheless.
Totally agreed and I honestly hope that Philly rebounds very strongly! Unlike some other fast growing cities in the U.S - Philly has a strong foundation and character to begin with. I'm hoping for a Detroit bounce too! Btw I've only had Peameal Bacon Sandwich from Carousel.... need to give Paddington's pump a go and will let you know.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:37 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Well getting this thread back on a more informative topic, here are some videos for some great Philadelphia neighborhoods:

Northern Liberties- sort of the hipster mecca of Philadelphia but is quickly becoming gentrified and over priced for hipsters which is sending them into surrounding neighborhoods gentrifying those areas (Fishtown, Olde Kensington, Poplar, Spring Arts)- Northern Liberties is located in the North Philadelphia District

Northern Liberties - Philadelphia Neighborhoods - YouTube

East Passyunk- located in the South Philadelphia district

East Passyunk - Philadelphia Neighborhoods - YouTube

Powelton Village- located in the West Philadelphia District and also home to the northern borders of Drexel University.

Powelton Village - Philadelphia Neighborhoods - YouTube

Bella Vista- located just south of Center City in South Philadelphia. Home to the Italian Market

Bella Vista - Philadelphia Neighborhoods - YouTube

Graduate Hospital- located just south of Center City in South Philadelphia.

Graduate Hospital - Philadelphia Neighborhoods - YouTube

Fishtown- quickly becoming the new hipster mecca of Philadelphia. Located in the Riverwards District north of Center City.

Fishtown - Philadelphia Neighborhoods - YouTube

Pennsport- quintessential Philadelphia. Located in South Philadelphia- a lot of long time native Italian Philadelphian's live here

Pennsport - Philadelphia Neighborhoods - YouTube

University City- quickly becoming an extension of Philadelphia's downtown or a second downtown. This neighborhood is located right across the Schuylkill River in West Philadelphia and is home to not only some of the largest and most prestigious institutions in the city, but in the state of PA and in the entire country. Drexel University, University of the Sciences, University of Pennsylvania (an ivy league school and ranked 5th in the United States for Universities, Penn's business school Wharton is ranked number 1), Penn Medicine, ranked in the top 10 best medical facilities in the country, and the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, ranked the number 1 Children's hospital in the country. Also, this neighborhood is home to the 3rd busiest train station in the United States: 30th Street Station, which ranks after only Penn Center in New York City and Union Station in Washington D.C.

University City - Philadelphia Neighborhoods - YouTube

Queen Village- located in South Philadelphia

Queen Village - Philadelphia Neighborhoods - YouTube

Fairmount and Spring Garden- located in North Philadelphia

Fairmount & Spring Garden - Philadelphia Neighborhoods - YouTube

Spruce Hill and Cedar Park- located in West Philadelphia just outside of University City

Spruce Hill & Cedar Park - Philadelphia Neighborhoods - YouTube

Old 05-19-2014, 12:44 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
So the sandwich was voted best sandwich... in America... on a reality tv show? Oh... ok.

According to the previous link, the St. Lawrence Market on the other hand was rated the #1 food market... in the entire world... by one of the largest educational organizations in the world.

Between the two, I would take latter more serious than the former (the reality tv show). But that's just me though.
The most trusted sources in the US for casual food is Adam Richman (Man Vs. Food) and Anthony Bourdain (the Layover/No Reservations) for upscale eats. That's really just how it is.

Congrats on your Nat Geo ranking. I'm sure it's a great food market. I never denied that.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:45 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:

According to the previous link, the St. Lawrence Market on the other hand was rated the #1 food market... in the entire world... by one of the largest educational organizations in the world.

Between the two, I would take latter more serious than the former (the reality tv show). But that's just me though.
How about we all just agree that food is essentially subjective, eh? Even if something is the "best of," that doesn't mean it's guaranteed someone will like it.

Once again, let's all get over this hell bent mission of proving that a particular city's food is God's gift to the universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City