Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 04:17 PM

273 posts, read 323,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Not for saying something negative no. For talking S**t. Two completely different things. Again, I never said I would, but there are a lot of Philadelphian's who would defend their city to that capacity. They're loyal and hard headed.

Not saying it's a good or bad thing, but I think it's an admirable character trait that someone would go to such extents to protect or defend something they truly care about. I've met some truly passionate native Philadelphian's (myself being originally from the suburbs), and I think it's great they care so much about their city.

LOL. You guys worship a fictional character (Rocky). Not even a smart fictional character, but one who's suffered severe brain damage from too many blows to the head. That tells me all I need to know about your fair burg.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Haha right but people like you who talk s**t and are to coward to back it up. You're SO MUCH BETTER! Wow you're so much better than us because you live in Boston. Snob. Cower away in the corner and hide when someone confronts them about their jabbing jaw. Typical Bostonian.

And I GUARANTEE I make more money then you.

Now I will go back to ignoring you. Have a nice day.

LOL. You're too much. Are you real, or are you playing a character like Stephen Colbert?

Old 05-19-2014, 04:21 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
transborder to to Int'l looked more like 80/20 according to the Pearson link - last years was like 2.8 million overseas and 8.8 million transborder

for PHL was 3.7 Int'l - not sure how many were to canada, would guess than 500K but some of these connect obviously at either (potentially more in Philly which is about 50/50 or 60/40 (cant remember) O&D vs Connecting

I also would expect more International travelers to Toronto - Toronto is the largest city and most important in all of Canada. Philly is anywhere between 5 and 10 generally in the US depending on how you slice it

Again am not saying Philly has more or anything - just looking at the data - two sort of different large cities with their own pluses and minuses

Toronto is a city I want to get to know better actually but most of this diatribe has not been all that useful one way or another
I'm not sure where you're getting your data from for International passenger traffic vs Transborder for Toronto Pearson but in 2009

43 percent of traffic was domestic with 12,400,000 pax
27 percent of traffic was transborder with 7,778,000 pax
30 percent of traffic was International not including U.S with 8,700,000

Since then International percentages and absolute traffic has gone up while U.S growth has remained stagnant. Domestic has also risen. That is why I said roughly 50/50 split between U.S and International traffic at Pearson but more favour Int over TB. More International and Transborder pax connect at Pearson than PHL because there are so many more International/Tranborder Pax than PHL. I don't even think PHL seperates Canadians from other countries like we separate Americans from others. What can I say lol - we treat you more like family than you treat us!

Philly would have more absolute domestic pax movements than Toronto and more Domestic CNX but overall Pearson has a lot more 'foreign' traffic than PHL. This isn't at all surprising given the sheer number of International Carriers at YYZ vs PHL

List of the busiest airports in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

honestly I agree with you that most of the diatribe isn't helpful but I did post some pics and vids further back (including some good one's on our nabe's) that will give you a better feel for the city than any of this fluffy stuff and if you want to know anything more specific let me know!

Last edited by fusion2; 05-19-2014 at 04:32 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 04:31 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm not sure where you're getting your data from for International passenger traffic vs Transborder for Toronto Pearson but in 2009

Since then International percentages have gone up while U.S growth has remained stagnant. That is why I said roughly 50/50 split between U.S and International traffic at Pearson. More International and Transborder pax connect at Pearson than PHL because there are so many more International/Tranborder Pax than PHL.

Philly would have more absolute domestic pax movements than Toronto and more Domestic CNX but overall Pearson has a lot more International and U.S traffic.

honestly I agree with most of the diatribe but I did post some pics and vids further back that will give you a better feel for the city and if you want to know anything more specific let me know!

Yes enjoyed the pics and wasnt pointing you out directly on that

my link is here

http://www.torontopearson.com/upload...c_Feb_2011.pdf

actually read it wrong the first time - upon further review aligns much more with your numbers and percentages

Both airport are actually pretty close in total passengers but Pearson is much stronger on Int'l even without transborder

Old 05-19-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Since then International percentages and absolute traffic has gone up while U.S growth has remained stagnant. Domestic has also risen. That is why I said roughly 50/50 split between U.S and International traffic at Pearson but more favour Int over TB. More International and Transborder pax connect at Pearson than PHL because there are so many more International/Tranborder Pax than PHL. I don't even think PHL seperates Canadians from other countries like we separate Americans from others. What can I say lol - we treat you more like family than you treat us!

Philly would have more absolute domestic pax movements than Toronto and more Domestic CNX but overall Pearson has a lot more 'foreign' traffic than PHL. This isn't at all surprising given the sheer number of International Carriers at YYZ vs PHL

honestly I agree with you that most of the diatribe isn't helpful but I did post some pics and vids further back (including some good one's on our nabe's) that will give you a better feel for the city than any of this fluffy stuff and if you want to know anything more specific let me know!

On this I am not sure if Canada is included; isn't customs both ways for Canadian flights on the Canadian side

there are actually few flights from Canada to PHL - PHL is mostly a European and Caribbean Int'l flight airport - only one Asian flight and is to Doha

Old 05-19-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes enjoyed the pics and wasnt pointing you out directly on that

my link is here

http://www.torontopearson.com/upload...c_Feb_2011.pdf

actually read it wrong the first time - upon further review aligns much more with your numbers and percentages

Both airport are actually pretty close in total passengers but Pearson is much stronger on Int'l even without transborder
Exactly you got it! Toronto actually has more pax movements as a result of foreigners than domestic lol.. That is almost unheard of with U.S airports

PHL is starting to lag in total pax traffic. In 2013 Toronto is ranked 35 with 36+million pax movements where PHL is not In the top 50 I can see so its hovering around 30 million total.

World's busiest airports by passenger traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not sure if it has to do with American Airlines takeover of US Airways. PHL was a US Airways hub so not sure what's going on with PHL but its growth is stagnant and other airports are surpassing it. Toronto is growing but it is having a hard time climbing above 35 because of the developing worlds growth in Aviation - China, Indonesia, Brazil and India going gangbusters..

Old 05-19-2014, 04:40 PM

Toronto is so desirable, that the average sales price of a detached home in the city of Toronto is expected to reach $1 million this summer!!!

Average price of single home in Toronto shoots up 13% to $965,000 | Toronto Star

Quote:
It’s a record likely to be shattered by summer: The average sale price of a detached home in the City of Toronto hit $965,670 in April.
That number is expected to exceed $1 million over the coming weeks as the GTA continues to feel the effects of a shortage of new listings that helped drive up the average price of detached homes in the 416 region by 13.2 per cent from April of 2013.
The average sale price of home in the GTA — taking into account everything from detached homes to semis, townhouses and condos — hit $577,898 last month, according to figures released Tuesday by the Toronto Real Estate Board.

For $1 million you could get a friggin mansion in Philadelphia. But then you'd have to live in Philadelphia.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDenizen View Post
Toronto is so desirable, that the average sales price of a detached home in the city of Toronto is expected to reach $1 million this summer!!!

Average price of single home in Toronto shoots up 13% to $965,000 | Toronto Star

For $1 million you could get a friggin mansion in Philadelphia. But then you'd have to live in Philadelphia.
If I had a million bucks I wouldn't be buying a home in Toronto or Philadelphia. I'd retire and move to Thailand.. Bye bye

Old 05-19-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Exactly you got it! Toronto actually has more pax movements as a result of foreigners than domestic lol.. That is almost unheard of with U.S airports

PHL is starting to lag in total pax traffic. In 2013 Toronto is ranked 35 with 36+million pax movements where PHL is not In the top 50 I can see.

World's busiest airports by passenger traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not sure if it has to do with American Airlines takeover of US Airways. PHL was a US Airways hub so not sure what's going on with PHL but its growth is stagnant and other airports are surpassing it. Toronto is growing but it is having a hard time climbing above 35 because of the developing worlds growth in Aviation - China, Indonesia, Brazil and India going gangbusters.
PHL is still a hub and likely will be for AA - conventional wisdom is it may increase as an Int'l hub (though more connections than O&D growth) as JFK is tight - but then again so is PHL - a lot of the growth issue is on the airspace which is the busiest in the world. PHL share approach and departure air space with NYC due to proximity (These airports actually account for 80% of US delays because of crowded airspace)

New York/New Jersey/Philadelphia Airspace Redesign – Videos

PHL is actually getting a 6 Billion expansion though

Philadelphia International Airport expansion moving forward after settlement with Tinicum Township - Philadelphia Business Journal

PHL also is a big RJ hub as well and decent sized cargo hub - a busy airport on plane movements with a very small footprint (more plane movements than Pearson but also more RJs)

World's busiest airports by aircraft movements - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-19-2014, 04:50 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDenizen View Post
So you're proud of the fact that housing is increasingly unattainable for the middle-class? Happy that Toronto is doing so swimmingly on the real estate front, but I'll take Philadelphia's "lack of demand" (read: balanced real estate market) any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City