Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:49 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Weather View Post
I'm a woman. It's she not he.
Oh now it makes sense!

Old 05-19-2014, 07:50 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Oh now it makes sense!
T minus 4 years until 55 Weather realizes we're f**cking with her.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:55 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Lol good grammar is a necessity on the internet! No time to sit here and type every period, comma, semicolon, etc. I'm typing on my phone. It's just easier to put a period after everything.

Funny. You're. Judging. My. Educational. Attainment. By. My. Posts. On. The. Internet.

How's that for grammar? I thinks I did good. You know me and my poor blue-collar Philadelphian self over here!
Dem boston folk sho is sudity!I sho wish I was a smart and wealthy as those Boston people folk!Yes sir ree!

But I gots to stay down here in the South on the plantation while the masta makes me work pickin cotton.

Boy I sho wish I could escape to the North!I hear even black folk can walk without a masta and some even got what they call an "auto mobyle."

LAWD Jesus take me to heaven in Boston!

Old 05-19-2014, 07:59 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Dem boston folk sho is sudity!I sho wish I was a smart and wealthy as those Boston people folk!Yes sir ree!

But I gots to stay down here in the South on the plantation while the masta makes me work pickin cotton.

Boy I sho wish I could escape to the North!I hear even black folk can walk without a masta and some even got what they call an "auto mobyle."

Bahahaha. Too good!

Old 05-19-2014, 08:00 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:

LOL, this was great.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:26 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Actually I largely agree with this. Having said that, when I was in Turkey I met a friend from Istanbul and he did know of the CN Tower and Rogers Centre prior to meeting me. I think the CN Tower is quite familiar to most Americans though... They don't call it the CN Tower - they call it the CNN tower. Regardless - as I mentioned the most 'iconic' aspects of a city are probably among their least interesting anyway. I also think that TIFF surely has International fame for those in that cultural circle.
Woo, yea, I forgot about TIFF. That's definitely pretty well known in some circles. I disagree with CN Tower though--your friend from Istanbul would very likely be the outlier for people from Istanbul in terms of knowing about that. I'm sure there's some dude chilling in Tahiti who also knows about it, too, but he's probably in the minority as well.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:44 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Woo, yea, I forgot about TIFF. That's definitely pretty well known in some circles. I disagree with CN Tower though--your friend from Istanbul would very likely be the outlier for people from Istanbul in terms of knowing about that. I'm sure there's some dude chilling in Tahiti who also knows about it, too, but he's probably in the minority as well.
I don't disagree with you at all - he was probably an outlier but indeed a true story. I was actually surprised! Lets face it though, in many places in the developing world which constitute the vast majority of the worlds population, most people aren't too familiar with many things we in the developed world are. They are usually more preoccupied with getting by on next to nothing to concern themselves with which city has a more iconic skyline - Toronto or Philly. They may be able to recognize cities like NYC, Paris or London but even naming off iconic symbols of those places would prove challenging for them.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-19-2014 at 08:57 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 08:46 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Just FYI. Real Bostonians don't talk about being "wealthy" or "more sophisticated," or how other cities are too "blue collar."

One must not be so gauche.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:01 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I don't disagree with you at all - he was probably an outlier but indeed a true story. I was actually surprised! Lets face it though, in many places in the developing world which constitute the vast majority of the worlds population, most people aren't too familiar with many things we in the developed world are. They are usually more preoccupied with getting by on next to nothing to concern themselves with which city has a more iconic skyline - Toronto or Philly. They may be able to recognize cities like NYC, Paris or London but even naming off iconic symbols of those places would prove challenging for them.
I don't even think it's a developed versus developing world thing--these are just things people outside Northern America aren't going to know.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:08 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't even think it's a developed versus developing world thing--these are just things people outside Northern America aren't going to know.
You think so... You could be right but I think some countries in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and perhaps even Japan would have some more awareness of cities such as S.F, Toronto, Chicago, and a few others - i'm thinking HK, Singapore as well. NYC and L.A being in my mind the most well known based on extraordinary representation in American Media.

Trust me, I don't lose sleep over such things anyway.. Might be interesting to conduct a survey in various places to determine awareness of places and things in N.A

Last edited by fusion2; 05-19-2014 at 09:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City