Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:09 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Just FYI. Real Bostonians don't talk about being "wealthy" or "more sophisticated," or how other cities are too "blue collar."

One must not be so gauche.
Thats the truth. This whole I'm more sophisticated or make more money than you conversation is for f*cking clowns.

Seriously I live in Boston, and trust me this city has a pretty unsubtle way of putting you in your place. You can be in a two professional decent wage earning family making over 300k a year and still have to watch your money pretty closely. Maybe you can afford a condo or townhome that needs a **** ton of work Downtown or in Cambridge along with 1 parking space. You are not living in some Brownstone next to Teresa Heinz and John Kerry in Beacon Hill or Tom and Giselle in Back Bay.

So kill the whole "sophistication" talk, we are all waking up in the morning and busting our ass at work along with the blue collar folks. You aint special.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You think so... You could be right but I think some countries in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and perhaps even Japan would have some more awareness of cities such as S.F, Toronto, Chicago, and a few others. NYC and L.A being in my mind the most well known based on extraordinary representation in American Media.

Trust me, I don't lose sleep over such things anyway.. Might be interesting to conduct a survey.
As far as landmarks are concerned, it is pretty hit or miss, but I think people would be surprised as to how many US and Canadian cities folks in many countries know off hand, along with at least one major fact about them. I can tell you for a fact that in conversation from my year I spent in Turkey, people knew generally where Toronto was located for the most part, at least in the major cities like Istanbul and Ankara. Along with many other US cities (Other Canadian cities never came up in conversation, because I personally have no connection to them) I experienced the same when traveling to other parts of Asia and Europe as well.

So I would imagine that Philly would register on quite a few peoples radar. Especially since American movies like Rocky are very popular overseas.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:19 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Weather View Post
You miss the point. He was talking about money and power, I offered him advice that for the well being of his family he should get out while he still can. Atlanta's has no money and no power. It's a minimum wage job city with a few corporate positions sprinkled around. For a guy that talks like he's a hound on Wall St, he lives in the wrong city and has terrible grammar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Weather View Post
You live in Atlanta. I'm not going to touch that one. For the sake of your well being get out while you still can.
LMFAO! Spot on.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:23 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
As far as landmarks are concerned, it is pretty hit or miss, but I think people would be surprised as to how many US and Canadian cities folks in many countries know off hand, along with at least one major fact about them. I can tell you for a fact that in conversation from my year I spent in Turkey, people knew generally where Toronto was located for the most part, at least in the major cities like Istanbul and Ankara. Along with many other US cities (Other Canadian cities never came up in conversation, because I personally have no connection to them) I experienced the same when traveling to other parts of Asia and Europe as well.

So I would imagine that Philly would register on quite a few peoples radar. Especially since American movies like Rocky are very popular overseas.
My friend in Istanbul actually enjoyed looking at various cities on google maps lol.. so yeah I think you're right these things are hit and miss and hard to objectively gauge without studies being done. Do I really care how many people in Turkmenistan are aware of Toronto or the CN Tower.. In all honest not really...

I do have two words for Toronto though ---- ROB FORD - not for good reasons but the guy has probably single handedly raised the awareness of the existence of Toronto more than any other person or event in the City's history.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Wow. I think this thread's run its course.

Also, EWR serves Philadelphia too? Really? I was unaware the Port Authority was actually called the Port Authority of New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. It's more like EWR serves the NYC region and those from Philly (and area) choose to use it for whatever reason. My family has flown out of Philly once or twice but does Philadelphia's airport serve NYC? Nope, not at all. We've just used it on occasion.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:30 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Wow. I think this thread's run its course.

Also, EWR serves Philadelphia too? Really? I was unaware the Port Authority was actually called the Port Authority of New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. It's more like EWR serves the NYC region and those from Philly (and area) choose to use it for whatever reason. My family has flown out of Philly once or twice but does Philadelphia's airport serve NYC? Nope, not at all. We've just used it on occasion.
Any easy way to get from Philadelphia to EWR? - Newark Forum - TripAdvisor

It happens quite often.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I'm sure it does. And it makes sense. But it's not a Philadelphia region airport. Like Philadelphia's airport is not a NYC region one, but people from the NYC area may sometimes find it easier to fly out of Philly, depending on what airline they are flying or where they are going or whatever motivates people to fly out of what airport.

JFK, LGA, and EWR serve the NYC region and those from other areas may also use it. EWR does not serve two (major) cities. If it did, it would not be controlled by the Port Authority of NY and NJ.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
My friend in Istanbul actually enjoyed looking at various cities on google maps lol.. so yeah I think you're right these things are hit and miss and hard to objectively gauge without studies being done. Do I really care how many people in Turkmenistan are aware of Toronto or the CN Tower.. In all honest not really...
Turks are actually very curious people by nature and truly take an interest in learning about where people are from, so it is not surprising in the least.

Quote:
I do have two words for Toronto though ---- ROB FORD - not for good reasons but the guy has probably single handedly raised the awareness of the existence of Toronto more than any other person or event in the City's history.
Well, I guess there could be worse things to be known by?......actually probably not.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:10 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Philadelphia is better matched up with the only place on the continent that it should be matched up with, Montreal.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:12 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Philadelphia is better matched up with the only place on the continent that it should be matched up with, Montreal.
I think Boston might be a better match up, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City