Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 04:45 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Do you really want to bring Atlanta an(which is an Alpha- world city) into a thread about Toronto?
Im trying REALLY hard NOT to talk about Atlanta in this thread so STOP bringing it up!

I have said it before people know where Toronto is but they know very little about it.

You think the average person knows about the Toronto Film Festival or thinks about that and not pop culture like Rocky?
You do know Toronto is a full Alpha right - one above Alpha -

To be honest some of these lists are retarded so I don't pay much mind to them. I can't believe people get paid to come up with BS lists. I have nothing against Atlanta btw - i'm stirring the pot cuz you're a pot stirrer

Old 05-20-2014, 04:55 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Lets just be real Toronto sux

It only wishes it were a real American city - and some day may actually make a real Cheesesteak - probably would have to be sold in an AMERICAN store and made by a Philadelphian at Nordstroms

Its airport is full of planes with Maple Leafs and the streets are filled with Canadian Mounties who keep murder to minimum. Its schools are so bad they don't even explain the importance of the Liberty bell and its teams play curling as their sport. Many students, especially those playing hockey can't pronounce organization correctly. Also their football field is way to wide and way to long

Lets be real here

Old 05-20-2014, 07:48 PM

273 posts, read 322,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I have said it before people know where Toronto is but they know very little about it.
It's only Americans who know very little about Toronto. Canadians know tonnes about Toronto.

And Canadians have heard of Philly, but no very little about it. So it goes both ways.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Canada, unlike most nations, allows you in if you can prove you have education and some command of English.
But to immigrate to the USA you don't need any education or command of English. Look at all the poor, uneducated Mexicans in the United States. There's millions of them.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDenizen View Post
It's only Americans who know very little about Toronto. Canadians know tonnes about Toronto.

And Canadians have heard of Philly, but no very little about it. So it goes both ways.
Tonnes?! The word just seems unnecessarily long. Tons vs. tonnes.

I forget Canadians use British English in terms of spelling. It's kind of funny.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:02 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Did someone hack Kidphilly's account?

Old 05-20-2014, 09:08 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
The most trusted sources in the US for casual food is Adam Richman (Man Vs. Food) and Anthony Bourdain (the Layover/No Reservations) for upscale eats. That's really just how it is.

Congrats on your Nat Geo ranking. I'm sure it's a great food market. I never denied that.
Andrew Zimmern is also the most trusted source for....the adventurous hehe

Old 05-20-2014, 11:06 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You do know Toronto is a full Alpha right - one above Alpha -

To be honest some of these lists are retarded so I don't pay much mind to them. I can't believe people get paid to come up with BS lists. I have nothing against Atlanta btw - i'm stirring the pot cuz you're a pot stirrer
LOL.Im really not.Im really honestly just giving my unbiased opinion.Im sorry if you are offended but what I have said is clearly based on my admitted limited experience.

Yes Im aware Toronto is an Alpha.I made that comment to let you know that Atlanta ain't some city like Charlotte but closer to a city like Toronto.
Even though it is limited,I have limited experience in lots of places but I liked them better.

You say the same thing I USED to tell people when they came in the Atlanta forum saying things about Atlanta but obviously were based on a 24 hr or 48 layover.

I stopped when I realized that Atlanta is not a city you really get to know just by hitting a few popular spots.
Its a city of neighborhoods.That is where the character is and the history.Not in the main commercial areas.
Its neighboohoods have houses dating back to as early as the late 1880's.

Once I realized this I basically stop tell people they missed this or that because at the end of the day,people who want to explore more will because they interested in the basics of the city.

Some people just don't like the South or for whatever reason just don't care to know anymore than what they have seen becaue the basic did not thrill them.What want more?

This is how I feel about Toronto.
First let me reiterate what I have said a thousand times because you guys are attacking me and my home(neither of you ever having been to Atlanta might I add) but totally ignoring the positives I pointed out:
*Toronto is one of te most liveable cities in the world.Great to live for ANYBODY.Best big city for families especially.
*Toronto is very vibrant and urban.Very walkable.
*Yes its CRAZY diverse
*Its very safe
*Great economy
*I even said it was a better city than my beloved Atlanta!

But you took offense because I said it (iMO)was boring.
*Boring not in the sense that there is nothing to do,but boring because I have done everything that I could do in Toronto elsewhere.
I did say this later but I should have explained myself earlier.

*Its sterile
Again I meant that as someone pointed out earlier,I like a city that has more uniques Than what Toronto offers.Cities like Savannah,Charleston,Montreal ,Quebec,even a city like Baltimore or Philadelphia.

I NEVER meant to imply that there was nothing to do or its not interesting.I just did not fell overwhelmed with a sense of it being special like I feel in Montreal,Chicago,NYC,D.C.etc...

For sake of further explanation only,I am going to mention Atlanta.
Atlanta is very similar to Toronto in the sense that people don't always associate it as being unique.

Toronto gets its attention from being the largest city in Canada.Not from food,music,fashion or anything that stands out in the world

Atlanta for most people is the same way.

But here is a major difference.
I am a AirBNB host so I meet people from all over the world.I can tell you that people don't always know alot about Atlanta until they actually get here.
Its not a city people necessarily plan a vacation to go to like say Miami.

That has changed as more and more attractions have been built.
People saying to me that they wish they knew so much was here or they would have stayed longer.

Atlanta is a city people come to for conventions and music festival like Tommorowworld,AC# Hip Hop Festival and other things.Its not always initially for long vacation

It usually goes something like:
"Coca Cola is headquartered here?"
"Is that T.I.'s house?"
"Gone Withe The Wind was about Atlanta."
"Thats right!The Walking Dead is in Atlanta?"
The Aquarium is the biggest (outside of Asia)so I must go!

I have a 18 year old French intern from Lyon renting from me.He is heavy into hip hop and he knows the Atlanta Hip Hop scene as well as Houston's Hip Hop scene.
He has a friend coming to visit him this weekend and he says Gucci Man is his favorite.

Now I'm not star struck so meeting a celebrity from Toronto is not gonna make me love a city.

There are no iconic brands I know of in Toronto that would cause me to want to go to its museums or see its headquarters.

I like museums but really once you have seen NYC,London,Boston,Louvre,etc..,i just dont go out of my way in even cities like Toronto UNLESS its a unique museum like the Rodin Museum or The Mütter Museum ( a medical museum ).

Even so a museum or an attraction is not going to make me love or hate a city.

I absolutely just honestly do NOT like the Victorian and Modernist architecture of Toronto.
I hate the look of a lot of the houses in Toronto.

So NO.Im not here to "stir a pot".Stirring the pot is someone who cannot except that what theyb see about there city is not what everybody else sees.
You just have to accept that everything aint for everybody.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:12 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDenizen View Post

Im talking about worldwide.Both cities are not known that much.
And its KNOW not "no" and tons not "tonnes".Just FYI

Old 05-21-2014, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Tonnes?! The word just seems unnecessarily long. Tons vs. tonnes.

I forget Canadians use British English in terms of spelling. It's kind of funny.
It's spelled tonnes. It's only simpleton Americans who dumb down the spelling of words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City