Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:58 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebleu View Post
Like I said in my original thread, Philly had higher murders, rapes and robberies than all of those cities in 2012. It is good to see that crime is dropping, but it is still really high for most standards, and only lower than some of the most dangerous cities in the U.S.
Agreed. Philly did have a high rate in 2011 and 2012 but it's no longer 2012. It's 2014. And both last year and this year Philly has been down significantly on crime. Does it still have a ways to go? Absolutely, however it now had a lower violent crime rate than a good amount of US cities and is nowhere near the worst when it comes to property crime. It's probably not even in the top 100 most dangerous cities in the world.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:01 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,836 times
It's frustrating to see how many people think crime is such a major daily concern for most Philadelphians when it is not. I moved down here from the whitest, safest small New England town there is. People left their doors unlocked, nobody ever got murdered, robbed or raped, and you could walk around drunk at 2am on a Saturday and nobody would bother you.

I came to the Philly area at 18 as a white male and have never once felt unsafe in most parts of the city. If you aren't involved in the drug trade and have common-sense street smarts, you're chance of being victimized in slim. The dangerous parts of the city are areas you would never go to anyway. If you want a truly crime-ridden city, just go to Chester about 15 minutes south. That is a place you can say with certainty is actually dangerous. The mayor's wife was carjacked at gunpoint just last week in Chester, and shootings and armed robberies are pretty common all over that city.

I challenge you to come and visit Philly and truly see for yourself the "crime problem" that such terrible areas like Rittenhouse Square, Society Hill, Washington Square West, Penn Center, and Passyunk Square suffer from. *rolls eyes*

Old 05-19-2014, 11:03 AM

111 posts, read 166,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Downtown Denizen brought it up: a Torontonian. Not a Philly poster.
If you remember, he brought it up because a Toronto basher claimed that Toronto has no special food of its own (obviously referring to the philly cheese steak).

Old 05-19-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDenizen View Post
Do you realize how stupid you are?

How do you know you can't find a real cheesesteak outside of Philly? Have you tried every cheesesteak place in the entire world outside of Philly? Unless you have, you cannot make such a stupid proclamation.
Mhmm. So stupid.

If you can get Philly cheesesteaks elsewhere that are as good as the one in Philly then don't you think it would be publicized? Tourists come to Philly to get a cheesesteak. You just can't get a cheesesteak outside of Philly as good as the ones in Philly. It's clear you've never even been to philadelphia.

You seem to be upset that Toronto has no brand recognition and nothing iconical about it which makes it bland in comparison to philadelphia which has so much that makes it recognizable even to the average person who has never stepped foot in the city. Love, Liberty Bell, Cheesesteak, rocky steps, etc.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:04 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
There isn't a major difference between 67 and 70, but at the end of the day Philadelphia just doesn't have better overall public transit than the cities mentioned before. That's the point being made.
Yes, I know. I believe that's exactly what I had said.

Quote:
In addition, the gap is expected to widen as Toronto, Washington and SF all have major public transportation projects underway while Philly is just standing there watching.
I'm not entirely sure what gave you that impression.

There are plenty of capital projects that SEPTA is engaged in. The major difference is the agency is currently focused on making an enormous backlog of repairs now that it is receiving a major infusion of new state funding. However, once those are taken care of, you can guarantee that there will be focus on service expansion to underserved areas.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
It's frustrating to see how many people think crime is such a major daily concern for most Philadelphians when it is not. I moved down here from the whitest, safest small New England town there is. People left their doors unlocked, nobody ever got murdered, robbed or raped, and you could walk around drunk at 2am on a Saturday and nobody would bother you.

I came to the Philly area at 18 as a white male and have never once felt unsafe in most parts of the city. If you aren't involved in the drug trade and have common-sense street smarts, you're chance of being victimized in slim. The dangerous parts of the city are areas you would never go to anyway. If you want a truly crime-ridden city, just go to Chester about 15 minutes south. That is a place you can say with certainty is actually dangerous. The mayor's wife was carjacked at gunpoint just last week in Chester, and shootings and armed robberies are pretty common all over that city.

I challenge you to come and visit Philly and truly see for yourself the "crime problem" that such terrible areas like Rittenhouse Square, Society Hill, Washington Square West, Penn Center, and Passyunk Square suffer from. *rolls eyes*
That's just it. They have never been here. They read crime statistics posted online and have no perception of the city. They don't know the crime tends to be limited to specific sections of the city. They don't know where the crime are taking place. They only see numbers. They know nothing about philadelphia but they think they have the city pegged down and know everything about it. Even more than those of us who actually live here.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebleu View Post
If you remember, he brought it up because a Toronto basher claimed that Toronto has no special food of its own (obviously referring to the philly cheese steak).
Because Toronto doesn't. Even if there was good cheesesteaks being mad win Toronto comparable to those I'm Philly, which there isn't, they're still PHILLY cheesesteaks. They're still a philadelphia food. On top of that philadelphia also has soft pretzels and water ice.

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
^This.

I work in the Canadian federal public service and I can tell anyone that thinks Canada is "easy to get in to", can try themselves and see what happens. I read that statement and was literally laughing. I see PR cards/conf of PR status papers, study permits, work permits, passport stamps, etc all the time at work. The process is not easy at all.
Oh so your the one who put us through all that

To be honest i'm happy our system is this way.. it cuts down on fraudulent claims. Having first hand experience with our immigration system I felt very good and secure with their processes. Good job!

Afonega making another patently false claim about something he doesn't understand - big surprise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post

You have a crime-ridden city and your frustration is that people think you guys live in fear, not that people are getting mugged/beat/robbed or worse in other parts of town.

No one is denying that there are nice parts of Philly. But, there is no sense in downplaying Philly crime by comparing it to a more dangerous place. Admit its a problem and move on. Complacency and denial are not a solution.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Because Toronto doesn't. Even if there was good cheesesteaks being mad win Toronto comparable to those I'm Philly, which there isn't, they're still PHILLY cheesesteaks. They're still a philadelphia food. On top of that philadelphia also has soft pretzels and water ice.
So you get mad when someone points to crime stats when comparing Philly to Toronto, but will gladly discuss Philly's superiority in cheese steaks. I see...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City