Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 11:32 AM

218 posts, read 376,114 times

Advertisements

You'd have to be shallow to judge a city by its most famous people. This flaw becomes immediately obvious when you cconsider that Rob Ford actually elevates Toronto by that criterium.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:35 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post
You'd have to be shallow to judge a city by its most famous people.
I think a case could be made to the contrary when judging who the people of that city voluntarily choose to lead them.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:54 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Rob Ford has had more media coverage than anybody from Toronto that I ever remember in the U.S. I certainly wouldn't doubt he is the #1 person associated with Toronto currently.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:06 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
But isn't it always the problem when, even if a Canadian is famous internationally, people would assume that they are Americans? On top of that how many people associate a famous person with a city anyway? Plently of influential people have spent time in these two cities I am sure. Only in these forums where people like to claim things or people to a certain city. The only ones I can think of, that I would associate with Philly and Toronto immediately are probably Edgar Allen Poe and Glenn Gould.
And not Benjamin Franklin?Or Rocky?(fictional but the association is there)

Old 12-02-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Rob Ford has had more media coverage than anybody from Toronto that I ever remember in the U.S. I certainly wouldn't doubt he is the #1 person associated with Toronto currently.
Not just the US:
London: Still riding high, Rob Ford, Toronto’s crack-smoking mayor | The Times
Paris: Le premier ministre canadien critique Rob Ford
Cape Town: Toronto mayor stripped of powers - World News | IOL News | IOL.co.za
Hong Kong: Poll shows support for Toronto mayor unaffected by crack-smoking revelations | South China Morning Post
Syndey: 'I bought drugs but am no gangbanger', Toronto Mayor Rob Ford tells council | News.com.au
Buenos Aires: Escándalo en Toronto: la policía confirma la existencia de un vídeo del alcalde fumando "crack"

Old 12-02-2013, 01:50 PM

218 posts, read 376,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I think a case could be made to the contrary when judging who the people of that city voluntarily choose to lead them.
Do you think people voted Rob Ford because of his recent issues? No, they elected him as a right-wing mayor who would cut down on excessive spending. Recent approval rating are questionable; they don't match what I have seen anecdotally; the sample size might have been too small, etc.

Judging a place by its politicians (even when democratically elected) is one of the most ignorant things anyone can do, because as I'm sure we all know, most politicians are professional liars. The fact that Rob Ford hasn't resigned yet is proof that he's in this for his own personal gains, and not because he cares about the city or its residents. He recently got his own TV show, and a YouTube show out of all the publicity; go figure

Old 12-02-2013, 02:00 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
And Jane Jacobs?
Jane Jacobs was from Greenwich Village in NY and lived there until she was arrested in '68. Afterward, she moved to Toronto and continued contributing works there until she died.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvalidUsername View Post
Do you think people voted Rob Ford because of his recent issues? No, they elected him as a right-wing mayor
Oh. OK. As I said above: "I think a case could be made to the contrary when judging who the people of that city voluntarily choose to lead them."

Old 12-02-2013, 02:59 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,901 times
The only reason Rob Ford won was because there were 3 well known candidates running for mayor; two of them were left of centre and Rob Ford was right of centre, therefore the left wing vote was split, which allowed Rob Ford to win the election with 47% of the popular vote.

There are loads of famous people from Toronto (such as Mike Myers, Jim Carrey, Neil Young, etc.) but in my previous list I chose to list some who are part of the cultural fabric of the city as opposed to those who started their careers in Toronto and moved on to Hollywood after they became successful.

David Cronenberg films and sets almost all of his films in Toronto.
Degrassi is another example of a well known cultural icon that remains firmly Torontonian.

Jane Jacobs may have moved here from New York, but she certainly became a celebrated and proud Torontonian right up to her death.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:17 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
While I have no doubt this list may resonate with Torontonians, of the items, I've bolded those I've heard of. Rob Ford, along with the CN tower are the only things I associate with the city of Toronto, however.
If you like Feist, I recommend you check out Broken Social Scene. She performed with them for a little while and they're pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City