Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:03 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
Actually, the stadiums built in Cincinnati were the stepping stones of a completely new urban neighborhood along the Ohio Riverfront. It's called "The Banks" and the development in this area has been substantial. The two stadiums will soon be completely surrounded by residential, commercial and recreational development, along with a beautiful riverfront park. So, NO, it's not stupid at all!
I just went to a game in Cincy and didn't notice much other than people walking from parking lots and garages to the stadium. The entertainment districts across the river in KY were busier than downtown Cincy.

Do you have any other info on this Banks project? I did notice some construction next to the stadium. Is that part of this project?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Wrigley Field not downtown and it is the liveliest evaaaa
Never said it was downtown or the liveliest area of the city (far from it), just wanted to eliminate it from this conversation because it's not the same deal. Same with Fenway.

Both are parks are very established in urban core neighborhoods but can't really be compared to modern parks being built in central downtowns.

The new Miami Marlins park is somewhat similar to Wrigley. We will se if it does anything with that neighborhood.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:12 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Also how many stadiums have good rail access?

Off the top of my head Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Nationals, Cubs (not sure on White Sox)

To a lessor extent Baltimore (but light rail), Atlanta (MARTA is far and limited to very select areas for connectivity), SF (street car only)

Part of the fun can actually be getting to the game

‪Phillies World Series Game 5 Train Ride‬‏ - YouTube

‪BSL mad az hell. 10/31/08‬‏ - YouTube

Last edited by kidphilly; 08-07-2011 at 09:20 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Off the top of my head Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Nationals, Cubs (not sure on White Sox)

To a lessor extent Baltimore (but light rail), Atlanta (MARTA is far and limited to very select areas for connectivity), SF (street car only)

Very few people use the light rail in Balt to go to games, but it's at least available.

A lot more people take light rail to games in St Louis and Denver, not sure about Minneapolis, but I would guess they do there now.

DC has a high capacity subway station near nats stadium.

I don't remember seeing a lot of people taking light rail to petco in San Diego, but the trolleys go right by it, so I'm sure they do.

Last edited by kcmo; 08-07-2011 at 10:02 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Very few people use the light rail in Balt to go to games, but it's at least available.

A lot more people take light rail to games in St Louis and Denver, not sure about Minneapolis, but I would guess they do there now.

I don't remember seeing a lot of people taking light rail to petco in San Diego, but the trolleys go right by it, so I'm sure they do.

Even though not downtown AT&T Station at the stadiums in Philly serves all four teams at the stadium complex. It has four tracks that can load simultaniously after games with 4 trains directly waiting to load. I think i have heard it can handle 20K passengers within 20 minutes after a game. The line also has double tracks each direction so can load and launch local and express trains in parallel; which is good in that it can get people out very quickly and into Center City in a matter of minutes. I am not even sure Yankee stadium can handle close to the volume as quickly so from that perspective it is actually very effecient. It was specifically built to handle the crush of both arrivals and departures from games and is preety unique from that standpoint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_(SEPTA_station)

Old 08-07-2011, 09:42 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times
Quote:

‪Phillies World Series Game 5 Train Ride‬‏ - YouTube

‪BSL mad az hell. 10/31/08‬‏ - YouTube
was just up in boston this past week and went to a red sox game. i don't think the green line is a true subway. seems to be light rail. but hey it was easy as could be getting to fenway taking pt. i'd add them to the list.

fenway by the way was incredible and the atmosphere around the game was so great. man it really bums me out thinking about the huge missed opportunity philly had with citizen's bank park. if that park was on market east, i think that whole area... really the only big deadspot left in philly's downtown would be so incredible. oh well, 60 years or so from now we can try again. haha.

one thing about the actual game at fenway though that i wanted to bring up and was curious to hear what people from boston had to say. man oh man is that just the most laid back crowd of baseball fans or what? i mean honestly nothing, and i mean nothing brought these people to their feet.... with the exception of the wave... which was going around the stadium far too often (although in my opinion, once is too often). they also kept hitting around beach balls which seemed to captivate the crowd more than the actual game.

what's the deal? since the sox have become a powerhouse the past ten years or so have the real fans been priced out? nobody seemed to know what was going on. We went on wed, great game against the indians that ended with jacoby's walk off hr. i mean when they scored in the first inning the stadium was still sort of filling up and no one seemed to care. then in the ninth inning it was a tie game, papelbom was in and people seemed to get way more amped up by his entrance music then his actual pitching. when it got to 2 outs i got on my feet to cheer on that last out to take it to the bottom of the ninth and i ended up sitting back down because no one joined me and i felt like i was just in people's way. really wierd. in philly people would have been on their feet that entire ninth inning. and just for reference we were in the bleacher seats. so we basically had the cheapest seats in the house.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:55 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
Quote:

One can get to Target Field in downtown Minneapolis via light rail and commuter rail.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:10 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,651,760 times
Quote:

(I know this is hard - hah) but don't forget the Mets!

Old 08-07-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
(I know this is hard - hah) but don't forget the Mets!

Yeah, though honestly it always seems like such a pain to get to Flushing - but hey they beat the Braves yesterday

Old 08-07-2011, 10:15 PM

Can you actually take commuter rail to games at Target? They run special trains to and from the stadium?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City