Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 09:56 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That's absolutely hilarious. According to you people wouldn't live in condos, eat at restaurants or watch other sports, if a sports stadium weren't built.

I think your post is Exhibit A for delusional stadia mania.

How do you explain cities like Paris, NYC, London, Rome, you know, the most vibrant city centers on earth? No stadia anywhere.

Then look at Detroit, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Cincy, Atlanta, etc. All these downtowns comparatively suck, and all are filled with multiple stadia. If only Paris could match the glories of Minute Maid Ballpark or Petco Park! They should tear down the Eiffel Tower and replace with "Le Ballpark, brought to you by Scoop Away Kitty Litter" Maybe replace the Notre Dame with an ESPN Zone or Applebees. Then Paris would be a real city!
Funny you completely glossed over the facts I stated regarding the real "exhibit A" 7th st/Gallery Place. My example was explaining what Verizon Center did for downtown DC and just come up with your own city examples that are not DC and do nothing to prove my point wrong. Tear down the Eiffel Tower? Where are you going with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 06:45 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
You're right. It's hilarous actually. Someone who claims to be from Chicago, and then claims that Wrigleyville, of all places, is the most desirable place in town, and has the most vibrant retail in town.

Wrigleyville is the absolutely worst part of Lakeview, which is not close to the most desirable or vibrant part of Chicago. The fact that claimed Chicagoans would debate this is downright hilarious, and shows that C-D homers will never, ever give up the fight, no matter how perposterous. It must be the suburban-style McDonalds next to Wrigley that gives the area its urban flair. Or maybe it's the run-down bro bars and suburban dad drinking joints.

I'm sure the next argument will be that the sea of parking lots/ghetto around United Center makes up the hottest neighborhod on the planet, and the freeway/parking lot moonscape around US Cellular field is much more vibrant than Tokyo.
You know, it's the damnedest thing -- I really can see how one would predict my next argument would be that "the sea of parking lots/ghetto around United Center makes up the hottest neighborhod [sic] on the planet, and the freeway/parking lot moonscape around US Cellular field is much more vibrant than Tokyo" because I was just about to make that very argument. But then I remembered that I had already made a clear-cut distinction between the efficacy of more recent urban-oriented stadium developments and -- to quote myself directly -- "the 'stadium in the middle of nowhere surrounded by fields of asphalt' era of the 60s through the 90s" to positively affect the vitality of the surrounding area. And then I also remembered that both the Cell and the UC are 90s-era stadium developments that not only fit the latter criteria but also -- to quote myself again -- "gave no thought to how they could interact with the urban fabric but were part of a conscious effort to isolate themselves from the fabric of the city they inhabit."

I guess if I really tried, I could see how someone of exceptionally limited intellectual capacity would be sure I'd soon argue in favor of a specific stadium development model that I had already argued against.

I was also prepared to concede that "Wrigleyville is the absolutely worst part of Lakeview" and "not close to the most desirable" part of Chicago until I remembered this data chart that puts Wrigleyville near the 95th percentile for median rents in the city, above any other section of Lakeview.

And finally, I was willing to accept that the "suburban-style McDonald's next to Wrigley [which recently sold for $20,000,000 because Wrigleyville is, you know, so undesirable n' stuff] . . . gives the area its urban flair" and that it's "not close to the most vibrant part of Chicago" until I saw this video.

And to think we were so close to seeing eye-to-eye... but alas we'll have to agree to disagree because in the final analysis I just can't come to terms with your grating overuse of the word "hilarious" -- not to mention the fact that you're just hilariously argumentative and hilariously wrong.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:51 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,256,590 times
Quote:
How do you explain cities like...Rome...? No stadia anywhere.

But didn't Rome have the very first downtown stadium - the Coliseum?

Old 08-12-2015, 06:57 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
But didn't Rome have the very first downtown stadium - the Coliseum?
Yes, and?

Is your argument now that billionaires should get stadium subsidies because Rome slaughtered slaves in the coliseum 2,000 years ago? Is that the newest desperate argument from the stadium advocates?

Old 08-12-2015, 06:59 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,256,590 times
Quote:
Yes, and?

Is your argument now that billionaires should get stadium subsidies because Rome slaughtered slaves in the coliseum 2,000 years ago? Is that the newest desperate argument from the stadium advocates?

Just questioning the reference to Rome not having a stadium when it actually had one of, if not the, first.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Funny you completely glossed over the facts I stated regarding the real "exhibit A" 7th st/Gallery Place. My example was explaining what Verizon Center did for downtown DC and just come up with your own city examples that are not DC and do nothing to prove my point wrong. Tear down the Eiffel Tower? Where are you going with this?
Verizon Center did nothing for downtown DC. The idea that the federal govt. wouldn't be in DC, or that people wouldn't eat food in restaurants, or that people wouldn't stay in hotels, if it wasn't for a basketball arena being relocated from one part of town, to the other, is absurd.

Verizon Center is a pretty good project, though, because 1. Taxpayers didn't pay for it and 2. It's very transit oriented. But you would have to be crazy to attribute local vibrancy to a basketball arena. it doesn't do anything.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:47 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Verizon Center did nothing for downtown DC. The idea that the federal govt. wouldn't be in DC, or that people wouldn't eat food in restaurants, or that people wouldn't stay in hotels, if it wasn't for a basketball arena being relocated from one part of town, to the other, is absurd.

Verizon Center is a pretty good project, though, because 1. Taxpayers didn't pay for it and 2. It's very transit oriented. But you would have to be crazy to attribute local vibrancy to a basketball arena. it doesn't do anything.
Verizon Center did nothing for downtown?? And with that, i cease this discussion.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:06 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I was also prepared to concede that "Wrigleyville is the absolutely worst part of Lakeview" and "not close to the most desirable" part of Chicago until I remembered this data chart that puts Wrigleyville near the 95th percentile for median rents in the city, above any other section of Lakeview.

And finally, I was willing to accept that the "suburban-style McDonald's next to Wrigley [which recently sold for $20,000,000 because Wrigleyville is, you know, so undesirable n' stuff] . . . gives the area its urban flair" and that it's "not close to the most vibrant part of Chicago" until I saw this video.
As someone who is on his third apartment in Lakeview, I can confirm that you can typically find a cheaper apartment in and around Boystown or by the lakefront/Lakeview East depending on what you're looking for.

My guess is that it's simply too far from the L for some people, and the express buses are backed up during the morning commute. I'm also sure some of the bros can't handle the thought of having to walkthrough Boystown to get to their beloved Sluggers.

Other than that, the Wrigley bars are full of people every weekend, and so are the nearby late night food spots. That includes the Taco Bell and McDonald's.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Just questioning the reference to Rome not having a stadium when it actually had one of, if not the, first.
No, Rome doesn't have a stadium. I'm not sure what you are questioning.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Verizon Center did nothing for downtown?? And with that, i cease this discussion.
Thank you. Finally, rational discourse prevails.

It's nice for a C-D thread to finally end on a rational note. Hopefully no more people arguing that people won't eat food or take shelter or spend money if there isn't a basketball arena in proximity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City