Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:28 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
This is just soooooo ridicules. (Merely using YOUR brashness). Just looking at Real Estate pricing Shows CONDO'S for upper $300,000 to upper $500,000. I do NOT CALL THAT DIRT CHEAP!

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/37.../home/12699655

^^Recently sold Condo , building was built in 2002. 1 1/2 block from Wrigley.
Put on market in January for .....$385,000
Price dropped in March to .........$369,900
Sold for the DIRT CHEAP PRICE .$361,000

Currently for sale by Wrigley Field

Old home connected on both sides right by Wrigley
https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/...market=Chicago

For Sale for $559,500^

Penthouse Condo here https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/38.../home/13384288 $550,000.

Another Condo calling it a QUITE NEIGHBORHOOD. Wrigley is 1/2 block away.
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/37.../home/12656964 $374,000

Average prices in area
https://www.redfin.com/neighborhood/...ville-Lakeview
Median List Price $339K
Median List $/Sq Ft $278
Median Sale Price $355K
Median Sale $/Sq Ft $262
Median Sale / List 97.8%
Avg. Number of Offers 1.4
Avg. Down Payment 19.2%
Number of Homes Sold 752

Calculated using the last 90 days
THERE ARE STILL MILLION DOLLAR+ HOMES IN THE AREA......

SPARE US PRE-2007 PRICING BEFORE THE CRASH AND NYC PRICING.
..... But THAT POST was just a ridicules suggestion. Sure they do not like the traffic in the IMMEDITE AREA AROUND WRIGLEY at times.
BUT DIRT CHEAP CRASHING PRICING IS JUST CLAIMING AND ALL OTHERS ARE WRONG.....

Sorry for a OFF TOPIC REPLY TO A OFF TOPIC POST.
Nice...

(That was sarcasm as well btw)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 02:02 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
NYC also has the Barclays Center right next to downtown Brooklyn. Not exactly on the "outskirts of the city".
To NOLA's point, Barclays Center is not some big ballpark, but a small NBA arena that acts more like a big urban concert venue. It doesn't even have any parking and doesn't even take up a whole block it sits on, there will be apartment buildings on the same city block as the arena, wall-to-wall.

Quote:
Furthermore, MSG, directly in the heart of downtown, IS the most active venue in the entire metropolitan area. So I'm not buying NOLAs argument that global cities dislike downtown locations.
MSG is definitely a detriment to the area and there is a big effort to tear it down and move it somewhere else.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:13 PM

283 posts, read 463,566 times
I wonder what it would have been like if Philly had built this proposal instead of what is now Citizen's Bank Park at the Stadium complex. This is would have been along the Schuylkill River in University City, in what became Penn Park. That area was more or less a brownfield when this was proposed, so this would have dramatically changed that area. The view would remind me of Pittsburgh's stadium.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:27 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Barclays Center isn't in the city center, and doesn't positively impact the neighborhood.

MSG is being torn down and relocated, and has been a blight for 50 years.
Barclays is VERY close to the city center, though. Part of the reason they chose that spot. Let's not get all technical about the true center of a city. Brooklyn isn't some far flung suburb here (nor are The Bronx and Queens, for that matter). The difference in urbanity, transportation and location between Midtown Manhattan and Flatbush isn't vast. This isn't Levis Stadium and San Francisco here, or even Tropicana Field and Tampa.

As far as impact, Barclays neighborhood impact has been fairly positive, for the most part. The worst a pessimist could say is that it's been mixed, and that depends on your views on gentrification and economic competition.

The Barclays effect | Capital New York

Finally, how the hell has MSG been a blight for 50 years? MSGs proposed relocation in the next 10 years has to due only with upgrading Penn Station, which is heavily overused. Call the building ugly, fine, but let's not act like that section of Manhattan is economically hurting or even being held back by MSG. Relocation is simply a way for Penn Station to upgrade to high speed rail and increase capacity. Don't act like MSG, The World's Most Famous Arena, is simply a concrete lot with grass growing out of it.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
To NOLA's point, Barclays Center is not some big ballpark, but a small NBA arena that acts more like a big urban concert venue. It doesn't even have any parking and doesn't even take up a whole block it sits on, there will be apartment buildings on the same city block as the arena, wall-to-wall.

MSG is definitely a detriment to the area and there is a big effort to tear it down and move it somewhere else.
Define "big ballpark ". Are we only talking football stadiums here? Do baseball parks count? An urban stadium is an urban stadium, no? Unless there's a qualifier here, his point has been refuted. Global cities can have successful stadia "not on the outskirts ".

Regarding MSG, the only detriment to the area is it hinders Penn Stations needed growth. That's it. None of the serious proposals for MSGs 5th relocation have it moving outside of Midtown, let alone going to the "outskirts" of Long Island. If MSG was such a detriment, they would've kicked it out the city somewhere along the way, no?

Old 08-11-2015, 02:39 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Define "big ballpark ".
A stadium that takes up at least one city block.

Barclays arena does not by the way. Once the full Barclays Center is completed, the arena will be only facing the street on 2 sides, and even at those it wouldn't take up the whole side. Here is a pic of the Barlcays Center if you were wondering, aside from the arena entrance it would look like a normal city block from this angle:

Last edited by Gantz; 08-11-2015 at 02:49 PM..

Old 08-11-2015, 02:41 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times
Perfect thread example where NOLA, who I don't believe is a resident of Chicago, wants to debate a resident of Chicago on stuff that's not that difficult to look up in the first place. The presumptions and arrogance are such a turnoff.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
A stadium that takes up at least one city block.

Barclays arena does not by the way. Once the full Barclays Center is completed, the arena will be only facing the street on 2 sides, and even at those it wouldn't take up the whole side. Here is a pic of the Barlcays Center if you were wondering, aside from the arena entrance it would look like a normal city block from this angle:
I've been to Barclays for a Nets game. It essentially takes up a whole block, bounded by Atlantic Avenue, Flatbush and 6th Avenue in a weird triangle shape. Yes, its not wall to wall to wall on all three sides, but until/if they redevelop that big a** plaza, it's functionally a full city block. And Barclays is only like 20% smaller than MSG, so let's not act like it's so much smaller. It's still a large enough stadium in a very urban setting that just happens to be gentrifying the neighborhood and annually competing for top grossing venue in the US.

But according to NOLA, urban stadiums don't do well. Only stadiums on city outskirts not surrounded by residential areas. Right.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:29 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Steeps isnt just some person but our resident Shakespearean reenactor.
Wow with my poor grammar and sentence structuring. I'm Shakespearean too. . Generally our nola101 does not use sarcasm. She gives a "You are wrong I am right and a few words to shock you straight No pun intended to offend . So not reading further back in the thread. I did not get the...................... sarcasm. But Shakespearean? Does not really go with my simpleton mind does it?
Is that sarcasm or DON'T ANSWER..... < maybe this will help me. Let's see....

Old 08-11-2015, 04:51 PM

345 posts, read 455,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
The area already looks completely different, and only half the projects have broken ground.

That side of Houstons downtown is going through a major rejuvenation.

Minute Maid could have been better thought out, but that side of town was a dystopic wasteland before it came in. It may be dead compared to vibrant downtown cities but it is a lot better than it was. There are multiple high rise and mid rise apartments being built around it, several restaurants, hotels, expanded convention center, and of course Discovery park coming in near it helped even further. The new double light rail lines shouldn't hurt that area either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City