Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I feel that_________has the best cities.
Virginia 202 50.50%
North Carolina 198 49.50%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 07:57 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times

Advertisements

^Yeah, they meant Raleigh and Hampton Roads are the second-largest metros in their respective states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 08:34 PM

116 posts, read 216,822 times
oh ok my bad

Old 10-02-2010, 11:50 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
As far as Charlotte vs NoVa, I think its an apples to oranges comparison. Charlotte is the CITY in its metro, and I never thought I would say, is more centrally concentrated than NoVa. The Charlotte metro vs NOVA I will give to NOVA, but the suburbs in Charlotte have yet to catch up to Charlotte in terms of development and progressive thinking. A better comparison for Charlotte is Richmond and a better comparison for NOVA is RDU. I would also say Hampton Roads probably stacks up better against the Piedmont Triad than RDU. I base these comparisons based on the makeup of the cities. Hampton Roads is the 7 cities, the Triad has at least 4 and probably 6 (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point, Burlington, Lexington, Thomasville).

NOVA and RDU have great high tech fields, rather spread out development but a central identity. I say they measure up pretty well. I would take RDU over NOVA just because NOVA is too spread out for my liking, but the access to DC is an asset that can't be underrated.

Charlotte vs Richmond is not too good of a comparison given Charlotte's immense size. But in all honesty, no single city can in VA match up to Charlotte. But Richmond, IMO, comes the closest and probably has as urban of a fabric and as much progressive mobility as Charlotte. I choose Charlotte cause of its size. But Kings Dominion is better than Carowinds.

Hampton Roads vs Piedmont Triad is probably the best comparison. The Triad is a true measure of all of NC and Hampton Roads is where VA got its start. Norfolk is a beast of a city and one of my favs in the nation. Outside of my hometown of Charlotte, Winston is my fav city in NC. Depending on your type of terrain will judge this win for you. HR Is in the coast whereas Triad is so close to the mountains. HR is also progressing much better than Triad, sadly, and looks to continue to do so. My vote is for HR.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
HR is also progressing much better than Triad, sadly, and looks to continue to do so. My vote is for HR.
The only area in which I see HR progressing significantly more than the Triad is mass transit. Otherwise, I think the two are about even in this category.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The only area in which I see HR progressing significantly more than the Triad is mass transit. Otherwise, I think the two are about even in this category.
Hmm... I'll have to double check this. I don't deny you're right. When I look at the growth patterns, both population and economic-wise, the Triad has been disappointing and struggling for a while. I can't speak so much for HR since it's been a while since I was really in that area.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Hmm... I'll have to double check this. I don't deny you're right. When I look at the growth patterns, both population and economic-wise, the Triad has been disappointing and struggling for a while. I can't speak so much for HR since it's been a while since I was really in that area.
Actually, the Triad is more or less average in terms of growth. I just think that people consider the breakneck growth in Charlotte and the Triangle as normal for NC as a whole, so by comparison, it appears as though the Triad is struggling when in reality it's doing OK for itself. Could be doing better, but it's fine. The Triad has certainly been growing faster than Hampton Roads. From 2000-2009, the Triad has grown by 11.77%; that's faster than Miami, Minneapolis, San Francisco, and Boston. Hampton Roads has only grown by 6.22% in the same period. I also think the Triad has had some major scores economically within the past decade as well, like HondaJet, Volvo Trucks NA, FedEx hub, and Caterpillar. I also think the Triad has a more diversified and dynamic economy than Hampton Roads. The Triad has manufacturing, tobacco, furniture, transportation, finance, medicine, and increasingly research. The main pillars for Hampton Roads are the port, the military, and tourism.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Actually, the Triad is more or less average in terms of growth. I just think that people consider the breakneck growth in Charlotte and the Triangle as normal for NC as a whole, so by comparison, it appears as though the Triad is struggling when in reality it's doing OK for itself. Could be doing better, but it's fine. The Triad has certainly been growing faster than Hampton Roads. From 2000-2009, the Triad has grown by 11.77%; that's faster than Miami, Minneapolis, San Francisco, and Boston. Hampton Roads has only grown by 6.22% in the same period. I also think the Triad has had some major scores economically within the past decade as well, like HondaJet, Volvo Trucks NA, FedEx hub, and Caterpillar. I also think the Triad has a more diversified and dynamic economy than Hampton Roads. The Triad has manufacturing, tobacco, furniture, transportation, finance, medicine, and increasingly research. The main pillars for Hampton Roads are the port, the military, and tourism.
I suppose you do have a point. The only leg up over Triad that HR has is public trans, environment, and overall connected urbanity. At least IMO, HR seems like one giant area. Don't get me wrong, so does the Triad but not as urban as HR.

The growth rates you posted is that population or economic? I guess you're aboslutely right about the growth in Charlotte and Raleigh as fast-paced and the Triad as average. I just love the Triad area and wish it was experiencing their success as well.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:05 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,165,333 times
Quote:
As far as Charlotte vs NoVa, I think its an apples to oranges comparison. Charlotte is the CITY in its metro, and I never thought I would say, is more centrally concentrated than NoVa. The Charlotte metro vs NOVA I will give to NOVA, but the suburbs in Charlotte have yet to catch up to Charlotte in terms of development and progressive thinking. A better comparison for Charlotte is Richmond and a better comparison for NOVA is RDU. I would also say Hampton Roads probably stacks up better against the Piedmont Triad than RDU. I base these comparisons based on the makeup of the cities. Hampton Roads is the 7 cities, the Triad has at least 4 and probably 6 (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point, Burlington, Lexington, Thomasville).

NOVA and RDU have great high tech fields, rather spread out development but a central identity. I say they measure up pretty well. I would take RDU over NOVA just because NOVA is too spread out for my liking, but the access to DC is an asset that can't be underrated.

Charlotte vs Richmond is not too good of a comparison given Charlotte's immense size. But in all honesty, no single city can in VA match up to Charlotte. But Richmond, IMO, comes the closest and probably has as urban of a fabric and as much progressive mobility as Charlotte. I choose Charlotte cause of its size. But Kings Dominion is better than Carowinds.

Hampton Roads vs Piedmont Triad is probably the best comparison. The Triad is a true measure of all of NC and Hampton Roads is where VA got its start. Norfolk is a beast of a city and one of my favs in the nation. Outside of my hometown of Charlotte, Winston is my fav city in NC. Depending on your type of terrain will judge this win for you. HR Is in the coast whereas Triad is so close to the mountains. HR is also progressing much better than Triad, sadly, and looks to continue to do so. My vote is for HR.
What are you crazy or something? The Triad is nothing like Hampton Roads. In fact, the only metro in North Carolina that comes remotely close to Hampton Roads is Wilmington-Wrightsville Beach; and even it is overshadowed by this area.

Despite Charlotte having he most buildings, it still is a boring, bland city, and just like most of North Carolina (excluding the mountains and coast) is overhyped.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
What are you crazy or something? The Triad is nothing like Hampton Roads. In fact, the only metro in North Carolina that comes remotely close to Hampton Roads is Wilmington-Wrightsville Beach; and even it is overshadowed by this area.

Despite Charlotte having he most buildings, it still is a boring, bland city, and just like most of North Carolina (excluding the mountains and coast) is overhyped.
I explained why I compared HR and the Triad. But I shall expound. Both areas are significant to their state, have multiple nodes in the metro, historical centers for their state, and provide a good example of what the state is like. I do note the environment is drastically different, and if you want to say that the comparison is not good, I understand.

Your opinion about Charlotte is respected and it is definitely your opinion. Although it makes me wonder how much of Charlotte have you seen. If you just went to Uptown, you have missed a significant portion of Charlotte.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:24 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post

There are definitely similarities between Hampton Roads and NC's Triad. It isn't simply about the port and naval yard...there are other aspects to Hampton Roads, like the fact that it's multi-nodal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City