Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I feel that_________has the best cities.
Virginia 202 50.50%
North Carolina 198 49.50%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:15 PM

29 posts, read 52,357 times

Advertisements

lol... I love the south, why do u think i lived in charleston, sc and visit savannah, ga once a year. Im also a huge UVA fan which has many southern traditions. But if u have ever lived in charleston or savannah ga, Virginia doesnt seem very southern anymore. I never said it was fact but my friends from tennessee share the same view that I do. And people share your point of view as well. Its prob about a 50/50 split. Its opinions. There is no need for name calling, havent you insulted someone else on this board already??? Im very cordial like most southerners and I dont insult, its a waste of time...

ps-- I said it was a poll!!! That is the only way you back up this argument, and i know its not 100 accurate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 01:20 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgundyporsche View Post
lol... I love the south, why do u think i lived in charleston, sc and visit savannah, ga once a year. Im also a huge UVA fan which has many southern traditions. But if u have ever lived in charleston or savannah ga, Virginia doesnt seem very southern anymore. I never said it was fact but my friends from tennessee share the same view that I do. And people share your point of view as well. Its prob about a 50/50 split. Its opinions. There is no need for name calling, havent you insulted someone else on this board already??? Im very cordial like most southerners and I dont insult, its a waste of time...

ps-- I said it was a poll!!! That is the only way you back up this argument, and i know its not 100 accurate
Where did you get "name calling"? I haven't called you any names..don't try that with me, please.

I'm not going back to look and see if you said this was a fact or not, but your posts come across that way. This is all opinion, and I'm pretty sure yours is in the minority. So be it.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:50 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
ok first of all i actually live in Virginia, u live in charlotte.
What does that have to do with anything? You made the statement that people in Charleston don't consider VA Southern, and I showed evidence to the contrary. I could live in Timbuktu and the point would still stand.

Quote:
secondly i consider parts of VA southern and some parts are not!!
As do a lot of folks here. NoVA is definitely much more culturally mid-Atlantic.

Quote:
Just bc there are areas of southern culture in a state doesnt make it southern.
No, but VA has historically been classified as a Southern state and large swaths of the state are still culturally Southern. Therefore, there's no reason to make it a non-Southern state whatsoever. I think it's pretty telling that you're the only one here arguing this.

Quote:
I consider true southern states to be entirely southern, like mississippi, georgia, sc tennessee, ect... I def wouldnt consider florida a southern state bc the northern half is the only part where southern culture exists.
At least you recognized that this is your personal preference. It most certainly isn't consensus.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I know a lot about culture i'm from NYC. Remember there are different types of cultures there
That hardly means that you know anything about culture. There are people in NYC who haven't ever left the city, barely their own borough.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:25 PM

large parts?? ok if SW va isnt really southern and nova isnt really southern. What parts other parts does that leave?? the tidewater has a huge military influence which means there are so many people from all over in that part of the state. so that leaves richmond and southside. wow thats huge...

Old 05-19-2010, 08:26 PM

when was the last time u were in va?? and what part of the state were u in??

Old 05-19-2010, 08:29 PM

Virginia Ain’t No Southern State | cVillain

Old 05-19-2010, 08:35 PM

THis guy has my point of view.......

23 otterdung said:
Virginia is tough–the sump of NoVA skews things a lot by being grotesque and overpopulous, as do VA Beach for being airheaded and… sorry folks… Cville for being preternaturally and unregenerately faux-newyorkais. Richmond can be a pretty gracious place, and certainly the better parts of it have the elegance of Charleston, etc. But if you head west towards the mountains you lose the stereotype of aristocratic southernness and get that hatfield/mccoy insularity and antigregarious suspicion of outsiders.
The flatlands to the east and south of here are more ‘typically’ southern, seem culturally more to define the Commonwealth in character: tobacco and pulpwood and people who’ll drive you twenty miles to get you a can of gas, greet every living soul they pass on the street, speak in a flatter more distinctively virginian accent.
There are certainly holdout pockets around Cville. Courteous and open natives both wealthy and poor, a tradition of military service and liberal arts education, a LEISURED way of living and doing and speaking and being.
Seems like the above misguided Limey, whom oddly i believe i met once at a gallery-opening on Manhattan, may have done his research in Cville, Reston, and Norfolk.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:38 PM

and this guy....

42 Captain Spaulding said:
Virginia is a ridiculously stupid state……Where should I begin?
In Northern Virginia it doesn’t matter where you are (Alexandria, Ashburn, Fairfax, PWC) each area is equally jam packed with people from all over up north. (PA,NY,NJ,MA) And they all do the same thing move here, and then say this isn’t the south and never was ect. I work with allot of New Yorkers so I definitely know. Then at the same time people from the deep south move here and do the same crap.
And no it doesn’t end there. I cant count the amount of New Yorkers that live in Richmond, which next to Danville might be the only true southern places left in Virginia. The Hampton roads is another version of northern Virginia only at the very bottom of the state. The big difference is they have palmetto trees/Palms in VA beach, that’s it. If you live in the Hampton roads area and believe your in the “south” I would suggest you drive down to Wilmington for a day and come back, you will definitely notice the difference.
Virginia shouldn’t be considered a southern state just for the simple fact that 90% of Virginians never refer to themselves as southerners. AAA has never had Virginia on the southern states region, I have been with them for years its always been Mid-Atlantic. And its not even just AAA its like everything. So if all these companies here don’t even list Virginia as a southern state, why bother pretending it is?
Im done ranting about this “southern” dumb**** state which I am so ashamed of being born in.
Thanks Virginia for nothing, I hope you fall in the ocean.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
large parts?? ok if SW va isnt really southern and nova isnt really southern. What parts other parts does that leave?? the tidewater has a huge military influence which means there are so many people from all over in that part of the state. so that leaves richmond and southside. wow thats huge...
I'm not agreeing that SW VA isn't really Southern as you claim. The area is pretty similar to the mountainous region of western NC (with Asheville and Roanoke holding down those particular regions), which is undoubtedly Southern. Hampton Roads has a military influence, but the region overall still felt Southern to me when I was there. It's just like Charlotte; we've had a big influx of Northerners over the years, but this place is still firmly Southern. At any rate, there's no use in arguing opinions. For every person you find that says VA isn't Southern, I can find one who says that it is. What these "Southern" arguments tend to boil down to is that most people think there is only one version of Southernness (Deep South version), which is just flat-out untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City