Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I feel that_________has the best cities.
Virginia 202 50.50%
North Carolina 198 49.50%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 04:07 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestguy View Post
I am trying to be kind about this but the educational system in NC is just not anywhere near the standards of VA state. They don't notice it because it has always been that way but coming from the north it is immediately a culture shock. Not for the better.
Ummmm, VA is not the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 08:00 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
I think VA has culture-rich cities like Richmond, Charlottesville, Roanoke and Norfolk. Plus, how could you go wrong with VA Beach and the Hampton Roads area? The bridges, the Bay, the beaches (urban beaches), etc.

I've visited Charlotte a lot and I'm not a fan of it. Raleigh is better, but I just don't like how the Triangle is so spread out...I do like the Outer Banks, but I'm not classifying that area as a city for the most part.

My vote is hands-down for Virginia!!!

Old 08-25-2010, 08:45 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I think VA has culture-rich cities like Richmond, Charlottesville, Roanoke and Norfolk. Plus, how could you go wrong with VA Beach and the Hampton Roads area? The bridges, the Bay, the beaches (urban beaches), etc.

I've visited Charlotte a lot and I'm not a fan of it. Raleigh is better, but I just don't like how the Triangle is so spread out...I do like the Outer Banks, but I'm not classifying that area as a city for the most part.

If you're going to add in cities like Charlottesville and Roanoke, how could you leave out the culture rich cities of Asheville and Wilmington? Not arguing against your opinion but if you include smaller cities of VA I would say not to forget about the smaller cities of NC.

When was the last time you came to Charlotte? If you only went to Uptown I can see why you'd be unimpressed. There is so much more to Charlotte than our CBD.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,132 times
NC is overrated.... it might take you 3 years to figure that out like it did me, but you will. I'm not saying it's not the right thing for anybody. But it's definitely overrated. Like, EXTREMELY overrated.Overall I would say Virginia has the better cities, NC is boring.......

Old 08-25-2010, 09:34 AM

53 posts, read 187,658 times
NC is boring

Old 08-25-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
If you're going to add in cities like Charlottesville and Roanoke, how could you leave out the culture rich cities of Asheville and Wilmington? Not arguing against your opinion but if you include smaller cities of VA I would say not to forget about the smaller cities of NC.

When was the last time you came to Charlotte? If you only went to Uptown I can see why you'd be unimpressed. There is so much more to Charlotte than our CBD.
Never been to Wilmington, but I do like Asheville, so my bad for not including it. I don't know any other small places in NC, so that's where I can't speak intelligently.

Overall, I feel like Virginia is grittier because of its early history, and I like that. I love Williamsburg, VA, and Staunton, VA is pretty cool too, both of which I forgot to mention before. I also love VA's proximity to the NE Corridor.

I was in Charlotte twice earlier this year. My cousin lives in Uptown, and my aunt lives out on Lake Norman. I'm a urban-lover, so the city just isn't for me. I realize the city is young and will eventually fill in, become more dense, diverse, etc., but until then I just can't find my love for it.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:

So I see you're conveniently leaving out places like Asheville (NC's contemporary of Roanoke, just much better), Wilmington (smaller version of Norfolk), New Bern (our preserved colonial town, like Williamsburg or Yorktown), and even Winston-Salem (with its gritty industrial buildings downtown and the treasure that is Old Salem (http://www.flickr.com/photos/larrywfu/sets/72157594459317311/with/345650198/ - broken link))? I suppose this is one area of difference between NC and VA: our smaller cities tend to be the urban gems with the preserved urban fabric, while the larger cities are the "New South" progressive and dynamic cities that are experiencing all the population/economic growth.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
So I see you're conveniently leaving out places like Asheville (NC's contemporary of Roanoke, just much better), Wilmington (smaller version of Norfolk), New Bern (our preserved colonial town, like Williamsburg or Yorktown), and even Winston-Salem (with its gritty industrial buildings downtown and the treasure that is Old Salem (http://www.flickr.com/photos/larrywfu/sets/72157594459317311/with/345650198/ - broken link))? I suppose this is one area of difference between NC and VA: our smaller cities tend to be the urban gems with the preserved urban fabric, while the larger cities are the "New South" progressive and dynamic cities that are experiencing all the population/economic growth.
Yes, I'm all about convenience...I'm just dying to scam North Carolina residents out of a tight CD poll on which one people prefer.

As I posted before, I'm not familiar with all smaller NC cities. I gave my opinion based on what I've experienced...nothing more nothing less.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, I'm all about convenience...I'm just dying to scam North Carolina residents out of a tight CD poll on which one people prefer.

As I posted before, I'm not familiar with all smaller NC cities. I gave my opinion based on what I've experienced...nothing more nothing less.
Well check out the photo threads I linked to. You'll see that there's much more to NC than you've experienced.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago1964 View Post
NC is overrated.... it might take you 3 years to figure that out like it did me, but you will. I'm not saying it's not the right thing for anybody. But it's definitely overrated. Like, EXTREMELY overrated.Overall I would say Virginia has the better cities, NC is boring.......
So what can you do in VA cities that you can't do in NC cities if NC is so boring? In terms of stuff to do, they're practically equal, with major league sports probably being the biggest exception. NC has three professional teams while VA has none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City