Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I feel that_________has the best cities.
Virginia 202 50.50%
North Carolina 198 49.50%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:58 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,303,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Why in the world do you love the Triad, when there are so many other good places in the U.S. and the world to live, work, and play??
Well, I love those places too. But I love the Triad because I like the scenary, Greensboro and Winston actually have very nice city cores and their museum/arts are actually very strong. Plus I love NC, it's where my heart is, so pretty much any city, town, or open space has something truly remarkable to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 3,864 times
Virginia cities have more variety to them. There is a drastic change in the feeling of Richmond to Charlottesville to the Hampton Roads cities to the Northern Virginia cities.

The major North Carolina cities just feel sorta the same to me.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:06 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,165,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el papi View Post
Virginia cities have more variety to them. There is a drastic change in the feeling of Richmond to Charlottesville to the Hampton Roads cities to the Northern Virginia cities.

Exactly! The only real difference of NC major cities is the population and skyline, otherwise, they're nothing but sprawling wastelands.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:38 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,863,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Exactly! The only real difference of NC major cities is the population and skyline, otherwise, they're nothing but sprawling wastelands.
Oh please dude. And Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads have absolutely no sprawl to them? Get real man. You never had a real argument in this thread anyway.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:17 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,303,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el papi View Post

I can sort of see what you're saying. But if you're going to include Charlottesville in that same vein you gotta include Asheville, Wilmington, and Fayetteville. These 3 feel differently than the Piedmont Crescent cities. I will give you the Triad and Triangle feeling similar, but Charlotte is a totally different feel. But I see what you're attempting to get at.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:54 AM

53 posts, read 187,658 times
Virginia cities have more variety to them. There is a drastic change in the feeling of Richmond to Charlottesville to the Hampton Roads cities to the Northern Virginia cities

Old 02-27-2011, 08:16 PM

469 posts, read 1,174,984 times
North Carolina has a lot of good sized internationally competitive cities all with their own character. Not to mention Charlotte and Raleigh, two of the fastest growing bigger cities in the country. Virginia has a few too, but I would consider N. Virginia's major cities as not really cities at all so I'm picking NC.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:40 PM

92 posts, read 180,056 times
North Carolina (obviously i'm biased). Our cities are more appealing to me because all our major cities or metros are in different parts of the state. So I have all different regions to choice from if I want to live in one of our major cities. While all VA's major cities are right beside each other in the same 3 metros. VA beach, norfolk, newport news, hampton, suffolk are all right beside each other in one metro. Northern Va is all one metro, then Richmond and Petersburg as one metro. With NC there's the Triangle w/ Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill in one region, the Triad w/ Greensboro-WS-High Point in another region, Charlotte by itself in another region, Fayetteville in another region, Asheville in another region and Wilmington in another region. So that's one reason I like our cities better, they're all over the state and not all bunched in the same 3 metros.

And the reason I like that, is because there are certain cities I don't want to live in or beside so that would rule out entire metro areas. Like I don't want to live in va beach, hampton or newport news but I have thought about norfolk and suffolk...then i realize "well it's still the same metro" so not wanting to live in or near the 1st three i mentioned rules out that entire metro. same goes for richmond.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:22 PM

3 posts, read 3,864 times
va

Old 06-07-2011, 05:28 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
Virginia, it feels more developed as a state in general and I like that it's at a crossroads of the north and the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City