Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I feel that_________has the best cities.
Virginia 202 50.50%
North Carolina 198 49.50%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2015, 09:08 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times

Advertisements

Aside from their money, I don't think DC influences Hampton Roads at all. Not only is it four hours away, but HR in general feels very isolated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 09:16 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,489,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Aside from their money, I don't think DC influences Hampton Roads at all. Not only is it four hours away, but HR in general feels very isolated.
It would in the grand scheme of things, though. Just like Raleigh/Durham.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:13 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Hampton Roads is most definitely within DC's sphere of influence.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:19 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There are different types and levels of influence at work in contexts like these.
Lol no ****. This is the third time I'm asking, "what influences"? You've given me one influence, that it is the closest big city travel organization. I'm asking what else, because to me that is minuscule and not necessarily relevant, nor is it unique for Americans to gravitate towards the nearest large cities for pleasure and leisure. I'm asking because I don't see it, and neither of you have given a firm descriptive of DC influence in Raleigh. For the third time, I'm asking what "types and levels of influence" are "at work" in Raleigh from DC?

Old 07-03-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
in the grand scheme of things.
What does this even mean? Are you or @mutiny able to deliver a straight answer without all this vagueness and over-generalization?

Old 07-03-2015, 10:32 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
I think the point is that Raleigh and the Triangle are within DC's larger sphere of influence as far as a true big city goes. Of course the Triangle is big enough to offer more than enough amenities and stuff to do without folks having to go to DC on a regular basis and the region certainly has its own identity, but for a big city-type getaway, that's where most folks in the Triangle are more likely to head. It's the same thing with Charlotte and Atlanta.
+1

I have friends as far away as Bristol, TN/VA Roanoke, VA and north eastern TN. They associate much more with D.C. than they do Nashville or Charlotte. I start to question them about attractions in Nashville or places in Middle Tennessee and hear crickets, whereas if I ask them about D.C. they've been there several times. I'm not making an analogy about Nashville being a D.C., or anything like that, but I just find it interesting the influence D.C. has on their decisions when making plans for vacations, shopping, or even politics for that matter.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Lol no ****. This is the third time I'm asking, "what influences"? You've given me one influence, that it is the closest big city travel organization. I'm asking what else, because to me that is minuscule and not necessarily relevant, nor is it unique for Americans to gravitate towards the nearest large cities for pleasure and leisure. I'm asking because I don't see it, and neither of you have given a firm descriptive of DC influence in Raleigh. For the third time, I'm asking what "types and levels of influence" are "at work" in Raleigh from DC?
There's nothing else to it, and neither me or Jay ever claimed that was the case. Why are you reading something into our statements that aren't there? It's the same type of influence that a very large metro area exerts within its region--no more, no less. Nobody said it was unique or a "big deal" or anything like that so it's a bit baffling that you seem to be getting all bent out of shape over this.

And let's understand where this point was first (or more recently) made: in post #342 where someone said that NC and VA were both within DC's sphere of influence. He was then corrected on that point as Charlotte and western NC tends if within Atlanta's larger sphere of influence. It was never a major point that anyone was making so I'm not sure why you're looking at it for more than what it is.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:14 AM

636 posts, read 610,947 times
Quote:
Hampton Roads is most definitely within DC's sphere of influence.
Could you expound on this? Aside from DC being the nation's capital and epicenter for the military-industrial complex (which of course has a huge presence in the Tidewater as well) I'm having trouble seeing it.

This is admittedly anecdotal, but the only time I've ever heard DC people claim the Tidewater area as part of the "DMV" (I hate that acronym with a passion btw) was when that one female gymnast from VA Beach (I think?) was getting notice during one of the recent Olympics.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
There's nothing else to it
But when I said that, you kept saying "influence(s)"---plural. When I asked for examples, you regurgitate what I've already said, that there is nothing else besides its the nearest big city. If there is no further influence, you've made my case...

I'm not bent out of shape. I think I was clear in where I was coming from. When I questioned your position, because you insinuated some "other influence" was "at work", you come back and say the same thing I've been saying all along...

Old 07-03-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Could you expound on this? Aside from DC being the nation's capital and epicenter for the military-industrial complex (which of course has a huge presence in the Tidewater as well) I'm having trouble seeing it.

This is admittedly anecdotal, but the only time I've ever heard DC people claim the Tidewater area as part of the "DMV" (I hate that acronym with a passion btw) was when that one female gymnast from VA Beach (I think?) was getting notice during one of the recent Olympics.
Oh no, the Tidewater is definitely NOT part of the DMV. Heck, even Baltimore people take umbrage when you say it's part of the DMV. "DMV" really just refers to the DC MSA for all intents and purposes.

As for HR, the military-industrial complex is certainly a big part of it, as well as DC being the big city for the larger region where people will gravitate towards for big city amenities and as a popular relocation option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City