Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I feel that_________has the best cities.
Virginia 202 50.50%
North Carolina 198 49.50%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:40 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlydubs View Post
Couldn't agree more. Raleigh is decent, certainly better than Charlotte Town Center and its chain restaurants and suburban style apartment complexes.
"Charlotte Town Center"...that's cute. But apparently all you know of Charlotte is Uptown and there's certainly more to the city than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 11:30 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Boy, there was some real reaching in this thread...

Fayetteville has never reminded me of Hampton Roads for anything besides wide avenues. Sure, there's a basis of comparison with large military communities. Outside of that, there is really nothing concrete that can be comparable between the two regions, or of any HR city compared to Fayetteville...

And I have never felt Raleigh was particularly DC influenced, no t more than New York influenced, certainly. Sure, there's a large amount of DC transplants in the Triangle--but have you been to Charlotte? Lotta them there, too. Doesn't make either of them influenced by DC---I will say although Raleigh does have DC and NY influences, neither are large enough to really stand out in the city's culture. Raleigh has a distinct culture, with borrowed influence, but one that is clearly and solidly Carolina. Different from Charlotte in that sense, because Atlanta's influence is definitely a larger presence inChaelotte than NY or DC are to Raleigh...

I'm an urbanite, and nostalgic for that "home flavor", so I favor VA cities. The most urban areas of Charlotte (Noda, Uptown, South End, Southpark, etc) don't compare to the urbanity found in VA cities. Raleigh, neither. However, there is criteria beyond that which favor NC cities. It's hard to understate how beautiful and visually, naturally appealing Charlotte and Raleigh are. They aren't the cities for me, though...

Old 07-03-2015, 06:56 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,490,287 times
Raleigh isn't that influenced by New York. Sure, we have a fair number of New Jersey/New York transplants in the area, but how are they influencing the Research Triangle? Most are happy to leave their Northern roots behind, seeing the South as their adopted home. Don't visit Raleigh and expect to see a scene out of Goodfellas.

Raleigh was influenced by DC for a long period of time, and still is to a lesser extent. Before the Carolina Panthers, Raleigh and much of North Carolina pulled for the Washington Redskins. Joe Gibbs is from NC, along with legends like Choo Choo Justice and Sonny Jurgensen. Today, you'll still see some Redskins fans around Raleigh along with Nationals fans. DC is also seen as the closest "big city" in the eyes of many folks around Raleigh. You can easily take weekend trips up to DC, only four hours north. I run into many people in Raleigh who have never been north of DC, so DC is seen as the one city most people have visited at least once. Not to mention the many NOVA transplants I've run into around Raleigh. Atlanta could also fall under this category, but to a lesser extent. I feel like Atlanta is a stronger influence on Charlotte and Western NC, while DC is a stronger influence on Raleigh/Durham and Eastern NC.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:48 AM

But DC doesn't really influence Raleigh. Raleigh's accent, slang, fashion, music, food, art, architecture, are not DC influenced, if they are only to a small degree. Maybe in government/politics, but one could say every city to an extent is influenced by DC politics. People from Raleigh don't act like people from DC. I said that NY has a light influence. My point is that neither have a large imprint on the city's culture, and DC doesn't have a larger impact than Raleigh...

The best example I can give you is this. Richmond stands apart but DC has a much greater impact on Richmond style, bureaucracy, slang, accents, etc than Raleigh. Again, Richmond is very much it's own city, but if we're talking a city with real DC influenced, it isn't Raleigh. Trust me on this one. I've never been to Raleigh and felt a likeness to even Richmond, much less The City...

Sports affiliations aren't the best way to judge a city's influence. I knew a diehard Redskins fan when I lived in Albany, New York, that city is not influenced by DC (maybe in government). I've met Cowboys/Yankees/Lakers fans every place I have ever been, in cities not at all influenced by Dallas/LA/NY...

By the way, where is this new Carolina Ale House in Raleigh. I have a good friend/ex-girlfriend who works for Duke Hospital, she wants me to meet her there Teusday. I might not be able to make it then, but I loved the Carolina Ale in Uptown Charlotte. Great restaurant..,

Old 07-03-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
But DC doesn't really influence Raleigh. Raleigh's accent, slang, fashion, music, food, art, architecture, are not DC influenced, if they are only to a small degree. Maybe in government/politics, but one could say every city to an extent is influenced by DC politics. People from Raleigh don't act like people from DC. I said that NY has a light influence. My point is that neither have a large imprint on the city's culture, and DC doesn't have a larger impact than Raleigh...

The best example I can give you is this. Richmond stands apart but DC has a much greater impact on Richmond style, bureaucracy, slang, accents, etc than Raleigh. Again, Richmond is very much it's own city, but if we're talking a city with real DC influenced, it isn't Raleigh. Trust me on this one. I've never been to Raleigh and felt a likeness to even Richmond, much less The City...

Sports affiliations aren't the best way to judge a city's influence. I knew a diehard Redskins fan when I lived in Albany, New York, that city is not influenced by DC (maybe in government). I've met Cowboys/Yankees/Lakers fans every place I have ever been, in cities not at all influenced by Dallas/LA/NY...

By the way, where is this new Carolina Ale House in Raleigh. I have a good friend/ex-girlfriend who works for Duke Hospital, she wants me to meet her there Teusday. I might not be able to make it then, but I loved the Carolina Ale in Uptown Charlotte. Great restaurant..,
I think the point is that Raleigh and the Triangle are within DC's larger sphere of influence as far as a true big city goes. Of course the Triangle is big enough to offer more than enough amenities and stuff to do without folks having to go to DC on a regular basis and the region certainly has its own identity, but for a big city-type getaway, that's where most folks in the Triangle are more likely to head. It's the same thing with Charlotte and Atlanta.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:

There is one near RDU around Brier Creek, but I don't know about a new Carolina Ale House.

I can see your points and I don't disagree, but DC and Raleigh are still connected in the ways I mentioned above. Are Raleigh and DC actually similar? Probably not, Richmond and DC are much more similar. Raleigh and Atlanta are arguably more similar, both are comfortably in the South. However, my points aren't necessarily inaccurate.

If Raleigh isn't connected to DC, do you think it shares more connections with Atlanta? Which cities/metros are similar to Raleigh?

Old 07-03-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think the point is that Raleigh and the Triangle are within DC's larger sphere of influence as far as a true big city goes. Of course the Triangle is big enough to offer more than enough amenities and stuff to do without folks having to go to DC on a regular basis and the region certainly has its own identity, but for a big city-type getaway, that's where most folks in the Triangle are more likely to head. It's the same thing with Charlotte and Atlanta.
Exactly.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:43 AM

@mutiny @jay, but if that's all we're talking about, that by it being the closest big city as a travel destination, how large is that influence exactly? I think I'm understanding where you all are coming from, but I say this again: in all my trips to Raleigh (been there about five times) I have never felt a likeness to DC, on any level, on any topic. That's what I mean when I say that DC has no discernible influence on Raleigh...

Old 07-03-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
@mutiny @jay, but if that's all we're talking about, that by it being the closest big city as a travel destination, how large is that influence exactly? I think I'm understanding where you all are coming from, but I say this again: in all my trips to Raleigh (been there about five times) I have never felt a likeness to DC, on any level, on any topic. That's what I mean when I say that DC has no discernible influence on Raleigh...
I think you're overthinking this a bit. All we're saying is that Raleigh is about the southernmost point of DC's sphere of influence as a major metropolitan area and all that entails. We're not talking about architecture or accents or any of that. There are different types and levels of influence at work in contexts like these.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think you're overthinking this a bit. All we're saying is that Raleigh is about the southernmost point of DC's sphere of influence as a major metropolitan area and all that entails. We're not talking about architecture or accents or any of that. There are different types and levels of influence at work in contexts like these.
Yep. DC's sphere of influence spreads across Southern Maryland, the majority of Virginia (NOVA of course, Richmond, Hampton Roads), Raleigh/Durham, and some portions of Eastern NC (Elizabeth City, Outer Banks). Raleigh/Durham is definitely the southernmost point and least influenced, but I'd say it still falls under DC's influence. Go further south into South Carolina and Atlanta is a far stronger influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City