Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 12:17 PM

10 posts, read 15,624 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have lived in South Alabama for a long time and are ready for a change. I grew up in S. Florida and my husband is originally from Mass. Our oldest is starting college at CWRU in the fall, so we decided to give Ohio a look. I know the weather will be a shock, but that does not concern us. In comparing Cleveland, Cincinnati, and the rest of the Ohio areas, we are struggling to figure out what may suit us the best. Employment outlook is top priority. Public schools (in surrounding suburbs as well) is also very important with three more kids at home ages (9, 12, 15). We would prefer an area where people are real (no southern hospitality needed) but generally friendly. We want access to culture and activities, good healthy and ethnic food choices, while living in a safe area for family. Yes, we want to have our cake and eat it too! As a speech pathologist, I am looking at trying to use a temp/travel assignment as a jumping board to a new location. This allows for company paid housing (for those 3 months). Our intent, however, would be to finalize a long term choice for housing and schools while we are there. We will need to rent as we are not planning on selling our current home for awhile. Budget up to $2400. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 02:05 PM

16,414 posts, read 30,572,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBeach View Post
My husband and I have lived in South Alabama for a long time and are ready for a change. I grew up in S. Florida and my husband is originally from Mass. Our oldest is starting college at CWRU in the fall, so we decided to give Ohio a look. I know the weather will be a shock, but that does not concern us. In comparing Cleveland, Cincinnati, and the rest of the Ohio areas, we are struggling to figure out what may suit us the best. Employment outlook is top priority. Public schools (in surrounding suburbs as well) is also very important with three more kids at home ages (9, 12, 15). We would prefer an area where people are real (no southern hospitality needed) but generally friendly. We want access to culture and activities, good healthy and ethnic food choices, while living in a safe area for family. Yes, we want to have our cake and eat it too! As a speech pathologist, I am looking at trying to use a temp/travel assignment as a jumping board to a new location. This allows for company paid housing (for those 3 months). Our intent, however, would be to finalize a long term choice for housing and schools while we are there. We will need to rent as we are not planning on selling our current home for awhile. Budget up to $2400. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

How close do you want to be to CWRU?

Personally, I would recommend the western suburbs of Cleveland - Lakewood, Rocky River, Bay Village, Avon Lake. They all have very good schools, very affordable housing and the like.

There are a large number of hospitals and a strong health care industry.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:19 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,958,413 times
I concur with the western suburbs of Cleveland. Avoid the eastern side as that is where the majority of the lake effect snow falls. The change in winters from South Alabama will be enough of a shock, you do not have to be dealing with snow any more than necessary.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:38 PM

16,414 posts, read 30,572,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I concur with the western suburbs of Cleveland. Avoid the eastern side as that is where the majority of the lake effect snow falls. The change in winters from South Alabama will be enough of a shock, you do not have to be dealing with snow any more than necessary.
You got that correct. The east side can get well over a foot and the west side maybe a couple of inches.

However, one thing that is missed is that the counties WEST of Cuyahoga - Huron, Erie and Lorain - get clobbered a lot worse with the summer thunderstorms and tornadoes.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:56 PM

All good advice thus far with regards to Cleveland, however with a surface search, I am finding rental housing to be minimally available in those areas....unless there are websites to search that I am unaware of? Also as far as proximity to CWRU... a not all that important. Frankly I think we would like Cleveland as a city, but our daughter does not really want us in her backyard. She is looking forward to her independence I am sure! The severity of the weather is part of why we have considered Cincinnati as well. Also, I have found Shaker Heights kinda interesting with the old houses- but can't put my finger on the quality of the schools there.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:03 PM

4,497 posts, read 6,319,095 times
^^ You'll find a lot better information on Cleveland on the Cleveland forums. On the Cincinnati forums you won't find nearly as much relevant information.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:15 PM

Yes, I imagine so. Being new to this, I guess I posted in a Cincinnati forum??? Is there a general Ohio forum? I am trying to ultimately get a feel for both towns and surrounding areas so I can make the best educated decision. Thanks!

Old 07-22-2012, 04:25 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,072,282 times
Nobody's implying that you shouldn't consider Cincinnati. Both Cleveland and Cincinnati, in general, offer so much to a new family. However, these two cities are almost as different from each other as they are alike. Hopefully, hubby and you can explore each before making any long-term commitments. The hardest part of making a decision will be knowing that both cities are winners, but that you can reside in only one.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:27 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,958,413 times
Shaker Heights for years has been one of the premier residential areas of Cleveland. Shaker Heights schools are consistently ranked among the highest in the state for National Merit finalists. Don't be concerned about the schools, only whether you can afford them.

We would love to see you consider Cincinnati. For comparison Google Indian Hill Village Ohio. I have for a long time considered Indian Hill and Shaker Heights to be equivalents. I am pretty sure Indian Hill actually qualifies for city status but they desire to be called a village, to me some sort of prestige thing. Their police force is called the Indian Hill Rangers which they contend dates back to some direct grant a couple of centuries ago giving them jurisdiction outside of their own boundaries. Look at a Google map, the entire village has a greenbelt surrounding it and NO commercial businesses within the village. That to me is prestige.

If you browse around this forum enough you will be bombarded with Hyde Park, a neighborhood within the City of Cincinnati. It is an old and very nice neighborhood of Cincinnati. Also is Mt Lookout. Then you begin to go downhill in a hurry relative to neighborhoods within the City. Come back with any questions you desire to ask. I and several dozen more will respond, likely with differing opinions.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:38 PM

I actually have a good friend from high school that has lived in Indian Hill for 4 years and LOVES it. My parents are both actually from the Cincy/N.Ky areas but that was so long ago. Fortunately, I think we will be able to take a couple of days in August on our way back from parent orientation at Case to check things out. I am hoping to narrow down the list of areas near both cities so I have time to see them in a 2-3 day period. Thank you, and in case your wondering, YES, this has become an obsession and I find myself glued to the computer! I now have to peel myself away to go to the grocery store - cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati