Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 05:15 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
No offense taken. Not every city is going to be attractive to every person. However, I would still recommend a visit (more than a drive-by on 71/270) before you write it off.
I think that the OP has politely mentioned that she has already written it off and why. Obviously, the family will have their hands full before their final selection between Cincinnati and Cleveland; no need to complicate their original focus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
For urban areas within Cincinnati that meet all of you criteria, check out Hyde Park, Oakley, Mt. Adams, Mt. Lookout, and Clifton Gaslight District. These areas are all in CPS, so you will have to look into the Magnet schools or private schools...
A double recommendation here--truly, this is the "short list" of Cincinnati's most urbane and sought after neighborhoods! Each one is a winner, with its own uniqueness and charm. Any one of them will allow your family to experience the best city living Cincinnati has to offer.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:26 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
OP... I was looking back at the kids you have at home, ages 9, 12, 15 correct? And you want to rent a home, I assume 4 bedrooms.

You definitely want to know the area you are moving to has good public schools, private schools will eat you up with 3 to support.

Single family rental homes have not historically been widely available in the Cincinnati area, as many people decided to purchase rather than rent. This has changed somewhat due to the depressed real estate market where owners have been unable to sell and thus are looking at renting to at least pay their mortgage.

You may have to search for a rental home meeting your criteria period. The fact you want good schools just contributes to the problem. Areas to investigate which have already been mentioned are Anderson (make sure Forest Hills Schools), Mariemont or Terrace Park (same good school district). Others are Madeira (historically solid), Montgomery and Blue Ash (Sycamore schools). All offer reasonable commutes to jobs within the City.

CPS schools are more like playing the lottery. In a city of 300,000 only one high school, Walnut Hills consistently gets accolades. I don't know about you but I loose at the lottery all the time. And the other popular term, magnet schools. I am waiting any day for the courts to strike them down as unconstitutional, giving preference to some students over others. When the people of Cincinnati finally get their act together and complement the physical rejuvenation of the city with a remake of CPS they may be worthy of consideration for residency by a family. So far, what I observe is the term young professional (meaning childless) desiring to return to the City. This is fine in and of itself. But once they have kids, goodbye.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:38 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
CPS schools are more like playing the lottery. In a city of 300,000 only one high school, Walnut Hills consistently gets accolades.
You ever have kids in CPS? Well, I do and with parental involvement and due diligence on school selection there are many options available. So stop with the CPS bashing. We have been over this before so many times in other threads. Give credit where it's due. CPS has made notable improvements over the years. Are they perfect? Nope. Do they still have some ground to cover? Yep. Oh, BTW - SCPA is pre through 12 and they have accolades galore. You forget about them? Grain of salt.

And magnet schools do not give preference. The idea, and why they are called magnet schools, is the unique curriculum will attract (like a magnet) those who have the proclivity for the specific curriculum. Some magnet schools are first come first server. Others work on a lottery system. The idea is to have a magnet school (if you so choose) picked out and other options if it doesn't work out. That's the same all over the country.

If you were speaking on Mason schools I would be all ears and know that you talk from experience. But on CPS your input is significantly lacking.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:58 AM

^^

Old 07-23-2012, 08:08 AM

[quote=TomJones123;25296257}That's the same all over the country.

If you were speaking on Mason schools I would be all ears and know that you talk from experience. But on CPS your input is significantly lacking.[/quote]

What country? Are you talking about Cincinnati, Ohio , the USA or what? I still say the courts will strike this down as preferential. CPS needs a better idea to succeed.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:13 AM

^^ Magnet schools. They are all over the country. My 20 year younger brother graduated from one in Raleigh, NC. And by now I fully expect you to hold your opinion in the face of facts and reason and endeavor to argue about little to nothing. I am not mad at ya.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_school

Here read up on them. They have been around since the 60s.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
^^ Magnet schools. They are all over the country. My 20 year younger brother graduated from one in Raleigh, NC. And by now I fully expect you to hold your opinion in the face of facts and reason and endeavor to argue about little to nothing. I am not mad at ya.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_school

Here read up on them. They have been around since the 60s.
Hey, like most government programs it sounds great. But when you boil it all down it is just another method of segregation. I still say a court edict will strike it down. I know you will call me on this, but the courts have the say.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:28 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
This argument has indeed grown extremely tiresome for those of us who're resident on this particular forum.

For those not familiar with the area, though: Families who're intent on both living within the Cincinnati Public district AND having their kids in a good school are going to have to take some chances and jump through some hoops to avoid the many VERY substandard neighborhood grade schools and to get the kids into one of the limited number of magnet schools. But it can be done. Once you reach the high school level, as has been noted, you basically have two choices: the stiff admissions competition for the academically excellent Walnut Hills, or the specific preparation for a career in the performing arts available from SCPA. Both great options if your kids fit those categories. The situation at the other high schools pretty much ranges from substandard to abysmal.

I can only speak for myself--if I were moving into the area and had three school-age children, I'd opt for renting or buying in one of the suburban districts such as Wyoming, Madiera, Mariemont or Sycamore. Availing oneself of the good educational options within Cincinnati Public is challenging enough for people who know the area, and not what I'd recommend as a first choice of options for a newcomer.

Of course, there's always the private school option, and good choices abound. But for three kids I kind of shudder thinking about the cost.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:40 AM

To the OP. Inner city neighborhoods like Hyde Park have a network of parents with kids in CPS, and they don't all go to magnet schools. Where I live, in Clifton Heights (which is not as nice as Hyde Park - or as family oriented,) there is a sizeable network of families who help each other out. Me and my wife rely on experienced parents within this network who have helped us immensely navigating CPS and these are parents who already have kids in the system. You will find no less in Hyde Park or other family oriented neighborhoods in Cincy. In fact, Hyde Park is opening a brand new neighborhood school, called Hyde Park Elementary.

There exists a great divide in Cincinnati between those who live in, and experience the city and those in the suburbs who are just full conventional wisdom that was relevant twenty years ago.

I'm gonna bow out now because these arguments have been beaten to death on CD forums. And even though there are people on here with up to date intimate knowledge on present day CPS, there are those among us who will argue their dated points infinity.

Now, there will be a barrage of rebuttals from the usual suspects who have no kids in CPS. Except, I am not going to argue any further. The OP can make up their own minds and they have plenty of leads now to do just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati