Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:40 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I can only speak for myself--if I were moving into the area and had three school-age children, I'd opt for renting or buying in one of the suburban districts such as Wyoming, Madiera, Mariemont or Sycamore. Availing oneself of the good educational options within Cincinnati Public is challenging enough for people who know the area, and not what I'd recommend as a first choice of options for a newcomer.
What Sarah said, with the addition of the Forest Hills School District (Anderson Township east of the city) to her list. Forest Hills and Sycamore are huge districts; Mariemont, Madeira and Wyoming are much smaller, if that matters to the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 08:42 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
This argument has indeed grown extremely tiresome for those of us who're resident on this particular forum.

For those not familiar with the area, though: Families who're intent on both living within the Cincinnati Public district AND having their kids in a good school are going to have to take some chances and jump through some hoops to avoid the many VERY substandard neighborhood grade schools and to get the kids into one of the limited number of magnet schools. But it can be done. Once you reach the high school level, as has been noted, you basically have two choices: the stiff admissions competition for the academically excellent Walnut Hills, or the specific preparation for a career in the performing arts available from SCPA. Both great options if your kids fit those categories. The situation at the other high schools pretty much ranges from substandard to abysmal.

I can only speak for myself--if I were moving into the area and had three school-age children, I'd opt for renting or buying in one of the suburban districts such as Wyoming, Madiera, Mariemont or Sycamore. Availing oneself of the good educational options within Cincinnati Public is challenging enough for people who know the area, and not what I'd recommend as a first choice of options for a newcomer.

Of course, there's always the private school option, and good choices abound. But for three kids I kind of shudder thinking about the cost.
Hey Sarah, the problem is you are speaking from a view of practicality. In my view, 3 kids and fighting the problems of CPS, no way. Not when there are so many options of living in good school districts within the Cincinnati area. And I agree, for 3 kids the idea of private schools is more than sobering, it is downright scary.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:04 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBeach View Post
I can do a sleepy, country town outside the city, just as long as the people won't cut your brain out and 'turn you into the perfect robot housewife'.
You can find plenty of McMansions in our many versions of Stepford Wives. However, for a sleepy country town check out Milford.

City of Milford Ohio - Milford, Ohio is an eastern suburb of Cincinnati on the Little Miami River with unique events,

Other than being a speed trap (yes I got a ticket there ) it's a very charming area and a short commute to the city.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:56 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
To the OP. Inner city neighborhoods like Hyde Park have a network of parents with kids in CPS, and they don't all go to magnet schools. Where I live, in Clifton Heights (which is not as nice as Hyde Park - or as family oriented,) there is a sizeable network of families who help each other out. Me and my wife rely on experienced parents within this network who have helped us immensely navigating CPS and these are parents who already have kids in the system. You will find no less in Hyde Park or other family oriented neighborhoods in Cincy. In fact, Hyde Park is opening a brand new neighborhood school, called Hyde Park Elementary.

There exists a great divide in Cincinnati between those who live in, and experience the city and those in the suburbs who are just full conventional wisdom that was relevant twenty years ago.

I'm gonna bow out now because these arguments have been beaten to death on CD forums. And even though there are people on here with up to date intimate knowledge on present day CPS, there are those among us who will argue their dated points infinity.

Now, there will be a barrage of rebuttals from the usual suspects who have no kids in CPS. Except, I am not going to argue any further. The OP can make up their own minds and they have plenty of leads now to do just that.
I'm glad you're going to let me have the last word! How gracious!

I should have mentioned that CPS does have a handful of good quality neighborhood grade schools, Hyde Park being one. You'll pay a premium for housing within those areas.

For what it's worth, the mildly snide commentary above doesn't really apply to me. I live within the CPS district in one of Cincinnati's older suburbs. It's true that I don't have school age kids, but I have plenty of neighbors who do, and I talk with them quite a bit. Not a single one of them would consider for a moment sending their kids to our local neighborhood grade school. It's in perpetual academic emergency and I see no indication of that changing anytime soon. Sending one's kids there IF you have any viable option is practically tantamount to child abuse.

It really comes down to what one's priorities are as parents.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
I think that the OP has politely mentioned that she has already written it off and why. Obviously, the family will have their hands full before their final selection between Cincinnati and Cleveland; no need to complicate their original focus.
And I equally politely mentioned that seeing something in person is different than reading about it, which tends to be selective and incomplete. I hope you would suggest the same to anyone who would write off Cincinnati before visiting as well. In fact, I'm certain that you already have done exactly that. So give me a break, okay.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:36 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Well, by now the OP should be wondering what kind of nuts live in Cincinnati. Very simply, people who care about the area they live in. We have distinct disagreements about the desirability of various sections of town, but the one thing we do agree on is that Cincinnati offers many different views to many people. You just have to identify the section you can connect to. That is not all that easy considering the multiplicity of views you will be presented with even on a forum like this.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:20 AM

372 posts, read 466,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
If you're going to look at Cincy and Cleveland and you're going to drive, you'll probably take I-71. There's another city between them. Not sure what the name is, but I hear good things
haha no worries, jb. I sent her a long message last night about Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati. I hope you got it MJ. If you didn't, I will just post it in the thread. I have been having problems with messages for some reason, I don't know if it is because I am a newer member.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:26 AM

372 posts, read 466,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBeach View Post
Also regarding the private schools - we moved to our little town from Mobile where we had to use private schools. They were great, but at $3k a month for 4 kids, it was a tough nut to crack. I absolutely hate the idea of paying for school if I can get a great education and environment for my kids for free.

It is great to see how enthusiastic people are about their areas! For us its a matter of economics as well as being tired of our "Stepford Wives" eutopia town. I can do a sleepy, country town outside the city, just as long as the people won't cut your brain out and 'turn you into the perfect robot housewife'.
Oh Mobile, eh? I got a ticket there for $250 for running a stop sign That was when I lived in Florida and was visiting the pandhandle Didn't see the thing and almost hit a cop in the middle of the intersection... LOL good times in Mobile. Could barely understand the cop from his strong southern accent, and I was called "your typical northern driver" "always in a hurry".

And for the record, most Ohioans aren't the negative old types who are stuck in the past and need to bash the city to justify what you want out of a place of residence. Guess it just shows the ignorance in some in these threads. Seriously, let me know about that message, I wrote a book last night for you lol.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:45 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRosado View Post
Oh Mobile, eh? I got a ticket there for $250 for running a stop sign That was when I lived in Florida and was visiting the pandhandle Didn't see the thing and almost hit a cop in the middle of the intersection... LOL good times in Mobile. Could barely understand the cop from his strong southern accent, and I was called "your typical northern driver" "always in a hurry".

And for the record, most Ohioans aren't the negative old types who are stuck in the past and need to bash the city to justify what you want out of a place of residence. Guess it just shows the ignorance in some in these threads. Seriously, let me know about that message, I wrote a book last night for you lol.
I can't stand it when cops editorialize like that when they pull you over. I got pulled over once in Cheyenne for going 44 in an unmarked 35 mph zone and the cop told me that "we don't want this to turn into Denver."

Yea, as if ...

Then once, in Lebanon, I got pulled over for barely going over the 55 mph speed limit on SR48 (maybe 61 or 62) and the cop asked me where I was coming from and going to. I said I'm coming from Centerville and going to Cincinnati. He said, "well, I don't know how they drive up there in Centerville or in Cincinnati, but here we don't drive like that."

Here we don't drive like that? Lebanon is like six miles from Centerville.

I was incredulous both times. I so much wanted to snap back at those idiotic comments but politely refrained. I got the ticket in Cheyenne and was given a warning in Lebanon.

On the flip side, once, in Colorado, I got pulled over on the 25 heading into Denver. It was the day of the Ohio State national championship basketball game vs. Florida a couple of years ago. I was wearing an OSU shirt and the cop said he was going to give me a ticket but, since he was a big OSU fan originally from Ohio, he'd let me go with a warning to slow down and a "Go Bucks!"

Old 07-23-2012, 11:51 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
I should have mentioned that CPS does have a handful of good quality neighborhood grade schools, Hyde Park being one.
I am amazed at how selective you and brill are at what you remember and care to comment on. It takes someone calling BS on some of your "bash CPS" posts to even get half the truth out of you two.

Now you are saying the same thing I have been saying all along, except I am speaking from first hand experience of actually having a child in CPS. Not from backyard fence sessions, or pontificating from out in Mason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati