Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 04:40 PM

4,484 posts, read 6,237,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Then you begin to go downhill in a hurry relative to neighborhoods within the City.
And statements like this need to be taken with a grain of salt. There are plenty of neighborhoods besides Mount Lookout and Hyde Park that are nice areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 04:59 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
And statements like this need to be taken with a grain of salt. There are plenty of neighborhoods besides Mount Lookout and Hyde Park that are nice areas.
OK, inside the City limits, name me a half dozen neighborhoods which come even close to Hyde Park. I will start with one, Pleasant Ridge. Beyond that you have to start with the old this street that street syndrome. I am speaking of a blanket assessment, this entire neighborhood is absolutely safe and one which you will have no qualifications living in. And bye the way it also has great schools.

Someone looking at Shaker Heights I don't believe will consider Northside.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:13 PM

So which is it?

Quote:
OK, inside the City limits, name me a half dozen neighborhoods which come even close to Hyde Park. I will start with one, Pleasant Ridge.
or

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill
If you browse around this forum enough you will be bombarded with Hyde Park, a neighborhood within the City of Cincinnati. It is an old and very nice neighborhood of Cincinnati. Also is Mt Lookout. Then you begin to go downhill in a hurry relative to neighborhoods within the City.
You just said there were no other neighborhoods besides Mount Lookout and Hyde Park in Cincinnati because they all go downhill. Then you come back with Pleasant Ridge.

Quote:
OK, inside the City limits, name me a half dozen neighborhoods which come even close to Hyde Park....
No, I've sworn off derailing threads arguing with someone who hasn't set foot in Cincinnati in years and thinks the vast majority of Cincinnati is an unlivable no mans land outside a couple neighborhoods. Do the OPs a favor and allow them to make up their own minds based on their preferred lifestyle and own due diligence. Northside may suit them perfectly fine.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:23 PM

372 posts, read 466,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

Quote:
OK, inside the City limits, name me a half dozen neighborhoods which come even close to Hyde Park. I will start with one, Pleasant Ridge. Beyond that you have to start with the old this street that street syndrome. I am speaking of a blanket assessment, this entire neighborhood is absolutely safe and one which you will have no qualifications living in. And bye the way it also has great schools.

Stop. Stop while you're ahead. It's pointless stuff like this which causes a thread to go off topic and does NOT in any way help the OP. Lets act like posters who have some semblance of maturity and knowledge. I am not going to throw down negative undertones to make the city look better, and same goes for the suburbs.

To the OP, your questions could not strike a better poster at the moment. I am from Cleveland's east suburbs, Willoughby Hills. I also go to Case. I currently live in Cleveland's Little Italy neighborhood. The east suburbs do get a lot of snow, but in recent years it has not been horrible, and due to the fact we do get so much snow, they always have the streets treated before most get out on the roads. Judging by the fact that weather is not a major concern, snow is just a part of the four seasons you get. Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights, and University Heights have that really cool character with the big houses and lots of diversity. You have all the money out in Beachwood, Orange, Highland Hills, etc. Cleveland is a very eastside/westside type of metro area, there's no north/south because of the lake. Eastside is new money, westside is new money, but all have extremely affordable areas. There's plenty of old suburbs with character, but lots of new suburbs that have all the chains you could imagine. For instance, I was just in Westlake at Crocker Park eating at the Cheesecake Factory. Crocker Park is a outdoor lifestyle center/shopping mall which is this newer phenomenon which seems to be taking over Ohio like crazy. But then there is Shaker Heights where I can ride Cleveland's rapid transit into its historic square and have the best chocolate milkshake at Yours Truly.

I live in Little Italy. I love it here. I can walk to several grocery stores, take the rapid transit around the city (I do not need my car), I can walk to class, I head up to Coventry which is more of a hipster Haight Ashbury neighborhood, go to University Circle which is home to some of the nation and world's best cultural institutions, not to mention world class medical care in University Hospitals and Cleveland Clinic. This area is extremely diverse.

Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati all offer something for everyone, literally. The thing is, all three are completely different. All have good economies that are doing much better than the national average, home to several large companies, and diverse economies. You would have to visit each one to see which one fits you best. I really would like to help you out, and I feel that I can. If you want, send me a direct message towards the top right of your screen, and I will try to answer as many questions as I can. If some posters want to take this into their own hands, please, ignore them. There is a general Ohio forum is you just click on Ohio and skip the city subforums. Please, ask away, I will help as much as I can. There is also a Cleveland and Columbus subforum if you need specifics on each.

Side note:

I was just on a recent trip to Cincinnati and planned another visit in two weeks. I have garnered this obsession with the city, and it is truly unique. Good times in an awesome city!

Quick edit, eastside is old money, while the westside is new money.

Last edited by WRosado; 07-22-2012 at 05:44 PM..

Old 07-22-2012, 05:33 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:

Oakley, Mount Lookout, O'Bryonville, Mount Washington, East Walnut Hills, Clifton Gaslamp, Mount Adams, Pleasant Ridge. And you'll be hard-pressed to find many public schools greater than Walnut Hills High School in the metro, state or nation. Finally, someone considering Shaker Heights would, in Cincinnati, consider Mariemont - they're almost mirror communities.

Honestly, kjbrill, you make it too easy sometimes. You consistently put that ball on a tee and it gets knocked out of the park.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:38 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
TomJones123... They put in an inquiry about the schools in Shaker Heights near Cleveland. So let me hear your recommendations concerning neighborhoods in Cincinnati which can even hold a candle to Shaker Heights. I am not bashing Cincinnati, just recognizing Shaker Heights is in the upper leagues and Cincinnati only has a few neighborhoods which can even keep pace. Whether I have set foot in Cincinnati or not has nothing to do with it. I do read and too much of what I read says the close-in neighborhoods are going downhill. The downtown area may be rejuvenating but the inner ring neighborhoods are not. I will feel free to comment to a poster in any way I see fit. If you disagree then tell me where I am specifically off base. I noticed you did not attempt to name another half dozen Cincinnati neighborhoods which even come close to Hyde Park - because there are none. Time after time, inquiries on this forum are responded to by Hyde Park, Mt Lookout, and then Oakley. It is a broken record, leading one to believe that is all there is.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:38 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Just out of curiosity, why does everybdoy on city data cleveland forum live in little italy, i looked it up on maps google and it is very small, its only like 5 or 6 blocks?

Old 07-22-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
So let me hear your recommendations concerning neighborhoods in Cincinnati which can even hold a candle to Shaker Heights.
Nah.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:41 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Just out of curiosity, why does everybdoy on city data cleveland forum live in little italy, i looked it up on maps google and it is very small, its only like 5 or 6 blocks?
It's a cool neighborhood close to University Circle and downtown - two large employment centers. Not to mention, the food is outstanding.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Seems a lot of internet savvy folks in Little Italy....no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati