Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:47 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,548,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
You do understand the parable, don't you? What was the context and who was he talking to?

(and, yes, the Jews were very angry)
Matthew 25:30 is the end of the parable.

" 'And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.' "

Matthew 25:31-46 however aren't a parable but a sequence of events.

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels....then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

These words "where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. " have been spoken bu Jesus as factual event outside of a parable.

Matthew 8:11-13, Matthew 13:41-43, Matthew 13:49-51, Matthew 24:50-51, Luke 13:27-29

The unrighteous (those on Jesus' left...the "goats") will go away to eternal punishment "where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth".

Mark 4:9
Then Jesus said, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

2 Timothy 4:4
"They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths"

Still believe hell is not real?.....The Devils april fool's day is coming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 09:07 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,235,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Then why did you compare the two? What does letting people drown and die have to do with letting someone be tortured infinitely while their flesh sizzles and they beg for mercy - today - tomorrow - forever?
My point is that God destroyed these people because of their wickedness and he will and does do this today.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:08 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,216,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Matthew 25:30 is the end of the parable.

" 'And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.' "

Matthew 25:31-46 however aren't a parable but a sequence of events.

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels....then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

These words "where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. " have been spoken bu Jesus as factual event outside of a parable.

Matthew 8:11-13, Matthew 13:41-43, Matthew 13:49-51, Matthew 24:50-51, Luke 13:27-29

The unrighteous (those on Jesus' left...the "goats") will go away to eternal punishment "where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth".

Mark 4:9
Then Jesus said, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

2 Timothy 4:4
"They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths"

Still believe hell is not real?.....The Devils april fool's day is coming

Sigh..... You never seem to answer my questions.....

You always cut and paste parts of what I wrote and never answer the simple questions I ask.....Not in all the posts I have written in the last few days.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:09 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,120,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
My point is that God destroyed these people because of their wickedness and he will and does do this today.
So, does that mean that you believe in annihilation but not eternal torture?

Old 03-25-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I don't know that I said I was a Christian either.... Don't be confused. I don't believe in the devil/satan, demons, winged angels, Peter pan, or santa either.

I am, however, a follower of Christ and a theist... actually I think if you look at my profile I have been called many things which I listed under religion...
My mistake. I thought since you are on the Christianity board you would think of yourself as, well, a Christian. You know a Christian is a follow of Christ? That is the definition of "Christian."

Old 03-25-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
OK, I'll tell you my few experiences. These things happened before I lost my eyesight completely.

My ex and I were on our first date together and ended up in a very serious car accident. We were hit by a City truck that ran a red light, and was speeding. We were sitting ducks. Couldn't go forward or backward, or anywhere to get out of the path of being hit.

The impact bent the car into a "U" shape. It broke all 4 motor mounts that held up the engine, and broke both axle's in half. The side of the car was pushed up about 8.5 inches over top of the seats (it was a two-door car). Glass broke and flew in on us, battery acid flew in and was all over him.

The accident was so bad that the medics arrived and walked up with the jaws of life expecting to have to pull bodies from the car. No one at the scene could believe we didn't die in it.

As I stood surrounded by medics, I looked over to my ex as they poured rubbing alcohol over his cuts from the broken glass, and his burns from the battery acid. He never said a word, not even a whimper.

I thought to myself, "God, thank you for letting us escape this without harm."
From behind me, as I was standing next to the medics, a voice said "You're here because of your son."

I thought, "what son?" I wasn't married yet, had no children, had never been pregnant. I turned to look for the "voice" from behind, only to find that no one was there.

Four years later, we married, and I did indeed have my only child, a son.

One other incident, which was before my son was born, and before we were married.

I was in my car driving to work because my schedule had been changed. The road I was on is one that swerves all over, barely any lights, one lane each side of the road, and had a deep revene off to the side of the road with no guard rails.

It was pitch black outside and this idiot was in front of me driving 20 mph when the limit through there was 35. He was playing road games. I signaled to pass him and he sped up and kept me over on the other side and wouldn't let me back into the lane.

I sped up because up ahead there was a semi headed for me straight on. The headlights of the semi were so close I could have reached out my window and touched them.

I knew I was going to die. I closed my eyes, and said "Lord, if you are going to take me now, I am ready to go. I am sorry for ever having offended thee."

The next thing I knew, it was like time stopped. This gust of air whooshed by. My car was on the other side of the road near the revene in the dirt. The semi and the other truck that wouldn't let me over, were no where to be seen.

From in the back seat of my car, and hand came and rested upon my shoulder and a soft spoken voice said "You are safe now my child."

I was freaking out because how could that be explained? No one in my car but me, how was I pulled from the head-on demise with the semi?

That was the work of my guardian angel. Yes, I do believe in them no matter what anyone else says. I don't think they're "helping" God, as you put it. But I believe they are God's stewards.
Wow, that's amazing. I don't believe in guardian angels because I don't see in the Bible where God says we have a guardian angel, but I absolutely believe in angels and demons and Satan. I'm so glad you shared that with us

Old 03-25-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Sigh..... You never seem to answer my questions.....

You always cut and paste parts of what I wrote and never answer the simple questions I ask.....Not in all the posts I have written in the last few days.
Herefornow,

I just joined a few weeks ago, and the same thing happens over and over with the believers of a literal lake of fire. They are good at parroting back what they learned through the years and posting scriptures that they think fit the bill, but have no ability to reason it out. They don't believe using logic is biblical. I'm not angry at them, though, because I was like them until five years ago when God opened my eyes. The Lord will reveal His true character to them if they really want Him to.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:32 PM

4 posts, read 3,339 times
Ok You guys have to look at this objectively. In the Greek translations of the Biblical texts hell was mentioned not once. According to The Texts I am saying this loosely there were words that was translated to hell down the line. Hell insomuch as the fiery pit we believe to exist is not in the Texts until it had been translated around 3 or 4 times. The words that was said to be our "hell" was a valley outside of Jerusalem. This KJV hell we read about is a myth that was born out of paganism in Egypt I believe it was. King James Also had Scriptures altered to back up that myth. He was in fact a pagan , that was converted ( i use that term very loosely) to the popular religion of the times. He had the texts retranslated to that old english format that we read today. According to a rabbi that I spoke with not long ago, Lucifer is also a myth. Satan is not a myth but his name was never Lucifer , He was not called that ever. He is also not an enemy of God , or a fallen Angel. He was made to do the job he is doing. See what people forget is that the enemy of God is man's carnal mind. Not Satan . Satan is a temptor for sure. See If you look at the scriptures around the Last supper . Christ gave Judas a sop . The it says that the devil entered Judas , and then he betrayed Jesus. Notice The way the scripture reads in the KJV.. The devil actually helped Jesus by betraying him to the Jewish community . It was all done to fulfill prophecy. Judas could not of his own accord betray Jesus , he loved him too much. Therefor Satan was called on to do the Fathers Bidding and take Judas' body and betray Christ. Here is another example that Satan works for GOD. When he tempted Job , he asked for permission for God to allow him to tempt Job. He asked that God Lower the Hedge and let him tempt him. Now , why you ask ? If not for the boss allowing it to happen it would never happen at all. Research your bible. People !!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
I believe the Bible

Old 03-25-2010, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I believe the Bible
I think you reached a new level, even on this forum, of pretending to supply an answer to a simple question. You said that since God allowed people to drown in Noah's days that it means he'll destroy people again. It was a very easy-to-answer and reasonable question that I asked based on your comment. Let me put it another way in light of your new reply.

So, does your new reply mean that you believe in annihilation, or does it mean that you believe in eternal torment, or does it mean that you've finally realized that God will do neither and save the ones he created and sent Jesus to save?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity