Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 06:27 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,543,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
Tough love as in denying a privilege.

No, I do not torture my child. He's 14 and has only ever been spanked twice in his life. Once for grabbing a sharp knife and running with it, and the other for unlocking the front door and letting himself outside when I was using the restroom. Both of which, were prior to the age of 2.

You are taking it to the extreme, when it's not necessary to do so.
But our heavenly father can and will (according to some) punish his children by burning them for eternity without hope of relief? and you called that tough love. Yet you wouldn't treat your own child that way?

Luke 11:13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

Matthew 7:11 "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!

Standing in front of God after death can you say that none who you perceive as doomed to hell will refuse to ask God for a pardon? or are you simply saying that he will not honor it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 06:32 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,200,798 times
Quote:
Tough love as in denying a privilege.

No, I do not torture my child. He's 14 and has only ever been spanked twice in his life. Once for grabbing a sharp knife and running with it, and the other for unlocking the front door and letting himself outside when I was using the restroom. Both of which, were prior to the age of 2.

You are taking it to the extreme, when it's not necessary to do so.
Christianity's bizarre interpretation of the word "hell" isn't extreme????

(from the Germanic HEL which meant covering, or HEL the German goddess of the underworld.)

Do you know much about the Pagan gods in the Bible and why the Hebrew were asked to stay away???? And how they differed from the Old Testament God?

Hmmmmmm........

Old 03-25-2010, 06:32 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,228,619 times
Kat-

Ok, so you don't believe that Jesus is God, you don't believe in either heaven or hell, but you are a Christian? I am so confused.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:35 PM

894 posts, read 1,128,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
This is all very commendable.

I myself have been put through THE WRINGER for 35 years for my beliefs. I believed with all my heart that God was going to set people on fire for eternity! My dad, who was a deacon at our Baptist church, also a VERY intelligent man, computer programmer, started studying for himself (that is what the Bible said the noble Bereans did). He was finding too many oddities in what the church was saying and the languages (Greek, Hebrew, etc) he was studying. He became a very angry man.

I know what it is like to start seeing contradictions between what the mainstream is telling you and what the facts are. This has been a nightmare in my family. It split us up.

Anyhow, I had a lot of conflict between what I was being told in the church about why God would burn people forever. My dad finally told me one day to check the translation of the word "hell." He told me to check many things. And I have. I was very stubborn. It took me many years from the time he told me to do that to the time when I actually decided to start studying.

My mom and our church were KJV-only independent Baptist. I was church-schooled from Kindergarten up to the 8th grade.

This has not been an easy road. It has been a bit confusing. I don't like being lied to and it made me very angry.

I have yet to receive an answer for why nobody, IN ALL THE YEARS I ATTENDED CHURCH," told me that "grave" is translated "hell" in the KJV. And I never bothered to look. I took what the authorities said very seriously.

Do you wonder why so few people know this???? Do you think it has something to do with ???????? You tell me.....
I guess for me, things were a bit different. I've always saw life with my heart Vs my eyes (I'm blind). Sometimes, you just need to let your faith be what guides your life. There's something more out there, than what any of us can see.

I grew up in a 2-religion household. My Mother, prior to marrying my Dad was Catholic and going to be a Nun. No kidding. She'd already taken some of her vows and was being primed for her final vows.

My Father met her though one of his friends and fell madly in love with her. He begged her for nearly 3 years to marry him, to which she always said 'No'

One day, she realized that she didn't really have 'the calling' and decided she wanted to be a wife and mother. She married my Father in 1959 and in 1961, I was born (their first child).

My Dad was a Presbyterian Deacon. We were brought up under both religions. During the week we went to Catholic school, went to Mass every morning before classes started, and on Sunday's we attended services at my Father's church.

I was on a religious quest mostly all of my life. I was convinced that the ultimate truth must be out there somewhere. At 18, I became a Mormon. Some people view it as a "cult", but that doesn't bother me, because I know it isn't.

Religion is a vehicle that guides you to be the best Christian you can possibly be. That doesn't mean you must blindly accept without challenge, any rules or doctrines associated with that religion.

At some point you grow enough spiritually to know that the ultimate truth lives within you (it's called Faith) and when you accept Jesus as your savior, your life changes in ways you could not imagine.

Man's religion will not save you, but Jesus will.

Sorry, all of the quotes you keep posting (from the Bible) would take me hours to find. You're able to skim through pages and spot what you're looking for, and I can't do that. Mine is written in Braille.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:43 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,115,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
He destroyed the whole earth (except for the select few) with a massive flood. If he destroyed people then what makes you think he won't now?
The Rainbow - His Promise.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:44 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,200,798 times
Quote:
I guess for me, things were a bit different. I've always saw life with my heart Vs my eyes (I'm blind). Sometimes, you just need to let your faith be what guides your life. There's something more out there, than what any of us can see.

I grew up in a 2-religion household. My Mother, prior to marrying my Dad was Catholic and going to be a Nun. No kidding. She'd already taken some of her vows and was being primed for her final vows.

My Father met her though one of his friends and fell madly in love with her. He begged her for nearly 3 years to marry him, to which she always said 'No'

One day, she realized that she didn't really have 'the calling' and decided she wanted to be a wife and mother. She married my Father in 1959 and in 1961, I was born (their first child).

My Dad was a Presbyterian Deacon. We were brought up under both religions. During the week we went to Catholic school, went to Mass every morning before classes started, and on Sunday's we attended services at my Father's church.

I was on a religious quest mostly all of my life. I was convinced that the ultimate truth must be out there somewhere. At 18, I became a Mormon. Some people view it as a "cult", but that doesn't bother me, because I know it isn't.

Religion is a vehicle that guides you to be the best Christian you can possibly be. That doesn't mean you must blindly accept without challenge, any rules or doctrines associated with that religion.

At some point you grow enough spiritually to know that the ultimate truth lives within you (it's called Faith) and when you accept Jesus as your savior, your life changes in ways you could not imagine.

Man's religion will not save you, but Jesus will.

Sorry, all of the quotes you keep posting (from the Bible) would take me hours to find. You're able to skim through pages and spot what you're looking for, and I can't do that. Mine is written in Braille.
I'm sorry. Thank you for letting me know.

I have been around all kinds, Mormons on my husbands side, and so on. These subjects are very important to me and I am still studying my heart out. I am not a Universalist. I am still studying. I do know, for a fact, and I have checked up and down for the last few years, that "hell" became a very mangled doctrine of Christianity.

Thank you for the response.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:45 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,228,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
The Rainbow - His Promise.
Actually, the promise is that He won't destroy the earth with a flood again. Nice try though.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:46 PM

894 posts, read 1,128,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
But our heavenly father can and will (according to some) punish his children by burning them for eternity without hope of relief? and you called that tough love. Yet you wouldn't treat your own child that way?

Luke 11:13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"

Matthew 7:11 "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!

Standing in front of God after death can you say that none who you perceive as doomed to hell will refuse to ask God for a pardon? or are you simply saying that he will not honor it?
My child has had surgery for tumors in his stomach twice. If I were to "punish" him physically, he'd bleed to death internally. So, there was a need to raise him by speaking to him with reason Vs physical punishment.

I believe that if standing before God knowing one was going to be sentenced to Hell, one may ask of God for His forgiveness and that God would honor that request.

However, that said -- God says you must ask of Him with a sincere heart, and a contrite spirit. Do you not believe that God can see into your heart and know if you are sincere and contrite in your request or that you're just saying whatever you can to save your soul?

I had a Great Uncle that didn't believe in God. All his life he said it was nonsense. Then one day my Grandfather and two of his brothers had gone hunting. The Uncle that was a nonbeliever was one of my Grandfather's brothers.

They were in an accident, the truck hit an embankment and rolled over. My Uncle that was the nonbeliever was trapped from the waist down, underneath the weight of the truck. He was dying, and knew it.

His last words to my Grandfather were "If anyone ever tells you there is no God, don't you believe it. God is here for me, right now."

In the last moments of his life, my Uncle finally knew that God was real and he accepted Jesus.

Last edited by {geek}; 03-25-2010 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-25-2010, 06:48 PM

3 posts, read 3,557 times
Wink Hell is it really hot?

HELL IS THE ACTUAL GRAVE,HELL IS NOT A HOT PLACE. IN HEBREW IT IS PRONOUNCED SHEOL, IN GREEK HADES,BUT IT ALL JUST MEANS ONE THING DEAD.HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A MAN THAT LIVED CENTURIES AGO NAMED DANTE,HE WROTE A PLAY THAT MADE UP A TOTUROUS PLACE CALLED HELL,BUT IF ANYONE IS TELLING YOU THATS WHERE EVIL PEOPLE GO WHEN THEY DIE THAT IS FALSE DOCTRINE,LET ME SHARE A FEW SCRIPTURES WITH YOU. READ ECCLESIASTES 9:5-10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I don't think it can be done using scripture (or anything else for that matter) but so many think "hell" actually exists and people will actually burn in "hell" forever.

So prove to me that hell exists.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:49 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,115,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Actually, the promise is that He won't destroy the earth with a flood again. Nice try though.
Then why did you compare the two? What does letting people drown and die have to do with letting someone be tortured infinitely while their flesh sizzles and they beg for mercy - today - tomorrow - forever?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity