Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:01 PM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I'm sorry that you are experiencing such emotional pain and I do hope that you receive what you need to carry you through to the other side of this.
I will muddle through.
Thank you again.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
There are biochemical causes for depression, occurring as a result of abnormalities in the levels of certain chemicals in the brain.

These require professional care, and medications, and WILL NOT be prayed away, wished away, hoped away, or cured by some deity.

If you or someone you care about suffers from true depression, seek professional help from doctors and don't waste your time praying or wishing or hoping it will all go away, cause it won't.

Those that advise anyone to pray and the other nonsense I've seen here might as well tell you to practice voodoo or witchcraft. They are endangering the lives of people with their reckless and ignorant advise.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:10 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,270,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post

The man in the mirror has sad eyes.

June's eyes are sad that yours are...

Take gentle care.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:56 AM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June's eyes are sad that yours are...

Take gentle care.

Thank you.
I will.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:22 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,014,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
There are biochemical causes for depression, occurring as a result of abnormalities in the levels of certain chemicals in the brain.

These require professional care, and medications, and WILL NOT be prayed away, wished away, hoped away, or cured by some deity.

If you or someone you care about suffers from true depression, seek professional help from doctors and don't waste your time praying or wishing or hoping it will all go away, cause it won't.

Those that advise anyone to pray and the other nonsense I've seen here might as well tell you to practice voodoo or witchcraft. They are endangering the lives of people with their reckless and ignorant advise.
I think you're stepping over the line with your personal preference, Asheville Native. While I agree with you that seriously depressed people do need to seek professional therapy and medication, I don't appreciate your lack of respect for people's right to believe in the power of prayer. It is at the point of attack on my faith where Atheist's cross the line with me. This is, after all, a 'Christianity' discussion board, so I think you should show people more respect by not spewing your personal anger over the fact that some, many people actually do believe in a real God.

Heartsong

Old 07-25-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I think you're stepping over the line with your personal preference, Asheville Native. While I agree with you that seriously depressed people do need to seek professional therapy and medication, I don't appreciate your lack of respect for people's right to believe in the power of prayer. It is at the point of attack on my faith where Atheist's cross the line with me. This is, after all, a 'Christianity' discussion board, so I think you should show people more respect by not spewing your personal anger over the fact that some, many people actually do believe in a real God.

Heartsong
As a child, maybe 11, I well remember my grandmothers outrage over the useless death of her sister. Seems her sister had married a Christian Scientist, and converted. Long story short, her sister, the one she was closest to, died a very agonizing and unnecessary death over a condition that was completely treatable, cause they tried to wish it away.

This changed my grandmother, and I don't think she every got over the anger at the stupidity that caused her sister's death.

There is a reason behind my postings My great aunts faith needed to be attacked, and when employed in place of effective treatment today, it MUST BE ATTACKED!

Police: Girl Dies After Parents Pray for Healing Instead of Seeking Medical Help
Son dies slowly as parents pray – In Session: - CNN.com Blogs
Boy Dies From Urinary Tract Infection While Parents Pray | Nerve.com (http://www.nerve.com/archived/blogs/boy-dies-from-urinary-tract-infection-while-parents-pray - broken link)

Old 07-25-2010, 12:02 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,270,698 times
Guys, lets all try to keep an open mind on this one...All are welcome to post in an open forum, however, all must do so respectfully, along with respecting the opinions of others.

Many thanks in advance...

Your friendly mod,
June

Old 07-25-2010, 03:00 PM

987 posts, read 1,118,511 times
I get depressed often. While in that state, I don't feel like calling anyone, doing anything about it but let the helplessness wash over me...and I fervently believe in God and His love for me. when I'm not depressed, I know I should call and actually have seen a counselor, but for some reason I shun the thought of meds, I'm not sure why. I keep telling myself I will call the doctor 'tomorrow' or 'next week' and then I don't.

"one of these days' or 'some day' seems to be my motto. I did take some meds for 3 weeks a few years ago but they did strange things to me, I ended up driving through an intersection after stopping for a red light because I paniced and thought I had stopped in the middle of an intersection and I recall a flashing light somewhere around the light. I had never done that before and never have since I stgpped taking those, I know not all meds have that sort of effect but I really am not sure I want to try med after med and have strange reactions/thoughts while trying to find one that works. But recently I have gone through such horrible bouts of depression that I have pretty much decided it might be worth the risk to avoid any more of those.

I don't need anyone to tell me that I need to pray or any other remedy. I know what is available and the things to seek. I just wanted to share that no matter how much help is available and out there, at times people can't seem to make themselves seek that help.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
I get depressed often. While in that state, I don't feel like calling anyone, doing anything about it but let the helplessness wash over me...and I fervently believe in God and His love for me. when I'm not depressed, I know I should call and actually have seen a counselor, but for some reason I shun the thought of meds, I'm not sure why. I keep telling myself I will call the doctor 'tomorrow' or 'next week' and then I don't.

"one of these days' or 'some day' seems to be my motto. I did take some meds for 3 weeks a few years ago but they did strange things to me, I ended up driving through an intersection after stopping for a red light because I paniced and thought I had stopped in the middle of an intersection and I recall a flashing light somewhere around the light. I had never done that before and never have since I stgpped taking those, I know not all meds have that sort of effect but I really am not sure I want to try med after med and have strange reactions/thoughts while trying to find one that works. But recently I have gone through such horrible bouts of depression that I have pretty much decided it might be worth the risk to avoid any more of those.

I don't need anyone to tell me that I need to pray or any other remedy. I know what is available and the things to seek. I just wanted to share that no matter how much help is available and out there, at times people can't seem to make themselves seek that help.

Then you need to ask yourself. If I continue the pattern outlined above, what is my prognosis? What is going to change? How has this worked for me up to this point?

This can be just between you and you, but the one thing you must do is to be honest with yourself.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:13 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,192,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I will muddle through.
Thank you again.

Some of us do a lot of muddling through. It can be exhausting. Depression is hard enough, but it seems to be even worse when things are going well and you still feel overwhelming sadness. I really don't know how to explain it. Feeling sad even in the good times makes me feel even worse.

I hope you get a bit of light soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity