Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2022, 06:22 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,283,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Yes, that is correct (what you have written above in underlined bold).

Justice and mercy meet at the Cross.

For justice requires that the full punishment be meted out for sins;

While mercy desires that less than the deserved punishment be meted out.

So, you cannot have justice and mercy at the same time.

These were irreconcilable attributes in the heart of God, until...

Jesus died on the Cross in order to pay the penalty for our sins.

Justice is satisfied in that they are punished in Him;

And God can also show mercy to us because our sins have been punished in Him as He took our penalty on the Cross.

As is spoken of explicitly in Romans 3:26.
Punishing a sinner because he's bound by the law of sin and death gets more absurd the more I think about it and so does punishing Christ for those who are bound by the law of sin and death. What was punished or should I say destroyed is this.... That through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; He destroyed everything that he owned us by, the fear of death and the law of sin and death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 06:40 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightfame52 View Post
Guess what ? I have no interest in talking about you. 2 Pet 2:14

14 Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:
Not only are you a believer in that hateful and evil serpent seed doctrine, but apparently, you are also an accuser of the brethren as well.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:50 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightfame52 View Post
You in fantasy land. Man needs to be born again, given life. You dont give the dead an opportunity, that sounds looney and unscriptural.
Lazarus, in the grave, was not dead but sleeping.

When Jesus went to wake him up, I am certain that he had the option of going back to sleep. It was his choice of whether to wake up fully or else go back to sleep.

That halfway state that one is in when he is being woken up from sleep, I relate to being drawn to Christ by the Holy Spirit. The person then has the opportunity to believe and wake up fully, or to disbelieve and go back into being spiritually dead.

Being drawn to Christ is not the exact same thing as regeneration.

When a man is regenerated he is born again and will begin to walk with Christ.

When he is merely drawn to Christ he has the option of rejecting Christ's claim upon his life.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Punishing a sinner because he's bound by the law of sin and death gets more absurd the more I think about it and so does punishing Christ for those who are bound by the law of sin and death. What was punished or should I say destroyed is this.... That through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; He destroyed everything that he owned us by, the fear of death and the law of sin and death.
the root word for "foolishness" in 1 Corinthians 1:18,21 is a word that means "absurd" in the Greek.

Old 02-28-2022, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Not only are you a believer in that hateful and evil serpent seed doctrine, but apparently, you are also an accuser of the brethren as well.
He was not accusing any brother there.

Old 02-28-2022, 10:27 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Quote:
He was not accusing any brother there.
His citation of 2 Pet 2:14 was directed at me!

Old 02-28-2022, 11:47 PM

Quote:
His citation of 2 Pet 2:14 was directed at me!
He did not say that it directly applied to you.

Only wear the shoe if it fits.

Old 03-01-2022, 04:29 AM

4,627 posts, read 1,171,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It's all you ever talk about, so sin is a big part of your life.
2 Pet 2:14

14 Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:

Could these Peter is referring to cease from sin ?

Old 03-01-2022, 04:59 AM

614 posts, read 172,813 times
Quote:
Men who are drawn to Christ are given the ability to either receive or reject Him.
I think this is where universalists like me and conservatives like you begin to diverge. If we have free will, is it best to hover over the bar of salvation? Because universalists believe that isn't necessary, we concentrate upon other choices, like whether to approach the world with the idea of love or not. I know the idea of love is fraught with peril. Many these days expand that until they abuse others. I think you know I am not advocating that.

It's time for Christianity to come down from its narcissistic position of ignoring what love means to the world. We are talking about the sort of love promoted by God. We are talking about the love that engenders arguments over equality. We are talking about the sort of love that engenders forgiveness toward all sorts of people, not just those who are your friends. It is, necessarily, both the recognition of who a person is, that they are valuable, but also a respect for what they have made of themselves, up to the point where it doesn't rob others of the same.

Yeah, that's pretty tricky. Does it rob a dyed in the wool conservative of their peace of mind and sense of themselves if they have to accept a gay person? I don't think so. Conservatives, however, may disagree. And most of this is made out of perception. You do realize you aren't being asked to be gay, if you are pressed with such a question, I hope? Because its not about becoming some universal person who is in-differentiable from all of the other in-differentiable persons. It's about realizing that the lack of love is what causes so many problems, most problems, and that people need that to solve their problems, not judgment.

Old 03-01-2022, 05:10 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,283,016 times
Quote:
the root word for "foolishness" in 1 Corinthians 1:18,21 is a word that means "absurd" in the Greek.
Ok then, Punishing the sick because they are sick, is sick. How do you like them apples. I think you have Dr Jesus and Dr satan mixed up

And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity