Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2022, 05:08 AM

1,091 posts, read 277,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
May the Lord abundantly bless you and receive you as a son.

I truly mean that.
Thank-you, my Father has already received me as a son, and has blessed me accordingly, in Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2022, 08:58 AM

4,627 posts, read 1,170,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
That is why he cannot make a free will decision either for or against Christ apart from being drawn to Christ by the Holy Spirit.
Man is dead to God, and his will is enslaved to sin, its not free from the dominion of sin !

Old 06-23-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
This analogy applies to any finite creature. We are "contained/controlled" by our spatial, physical, and intellectual limits that pertain to being human.

Free will is essential to our humanity. If we did not have free will, we would not be human.
Mans will is enslaved to sin. Its not free from sin. Jesus tells us we are servants of sin Jn 8:34

Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

Does that sound free to you ?

Old 06-23-2022, 09:09 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightfame52 View Post
Mans will is enslaved to sin. Its not free from sin. Jesus tells us we are servants of sin Jn 8:34

Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

Does that sound free to you ?
This phenomenon (enslaved to sin) is what we call concupiscence. We are freed from sin by Christ's work through baptism and the sacraments. This concupiscence remains, and our entire life is a battle against it ("a war against our members", or a "race").

For the unbaptized, they are truly slaves to sin and have not been freed from its penalty or its effects.

Old 06-23-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
This phenomenon (enslaved to sin) is what we call concupiscence. We are freed from sin by Christ's work through baptism and the sacraments. This concupiscence remains, and our entire life is a battle against it ("a war against our members", or a "race").

For the unbaptized, they are truly slaves to sin and have not been freed from its penalty or its effects.
The only way to not be a slave to sin and dead to God, is if you are born again, and thats out of your control. A person has no more to do with their spiritual birth as they had nothing to do with their natural birth. The men Jesus was speaking to in Jn 8 perhaps were some of the most moral people on earth, yet they were slaves to sin !

Old 06-23-2022, 02:51 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
The only way to not be a slave to sin and dead to God, is if you are born again, and thats out of your control. A person has no more to do with their spiritual birth as they had nothing to do with their natural birth. The men Jesus was speaking to in Jn 8 perhaps were some of the most moral people on earth, yet they were slaves to sin !
The Scriptures are not written to everyone

The problem is religious people make rash decisions and form conclusions ahead of time and lose sight/understanding of the timing and geography and symbolism - the Jews in the 1st century held to the ritualistic and traditional ‘things’ past the time relevant to their own religious dispensation

And it was foretold that Christianity itself would do the same things with their own time of 2000 years allocated to it, and we are now at the end of its allotted/allocated time where it has influenced society and is reaping what it has sown

In Hebrews it says to go on past the ritualistic/traditional, but in Corinthians it says not to judge anything before the time, and in Galatians it gives yet another perspective/view

Heb 6:1**Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
Heb 6:2**Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
Heb 6:3**And this will we do, if God permit.

1Co 4:4**For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.
1Co 4:5**Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.
1Co 4:6**And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.

Gal 3:22**But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
Gal 3:23**But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Gal 3:24**Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Gal 3:25**But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
Gal 3:26**For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:27**For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Gal 3:28**There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:29**And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Old 06-23-2022, 02:52 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:

Ah, concupiscence. That is a fun word to roll off the tongue. Haven't heard it in years.

I think our theologians termed this "the sin nature".

Old 06-23-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I'm in agreement with some of this. We are born again through baptism. When we have our children baptized, we are imparting to them the gift of new birth that they indeed had nothing to do with.

Old 06-23-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Ah, concupiscence. That is a fun word to roll off the tongue. Haven't heard it in years.

I think our theologians termed this "the sin nature".
Yep. In my experience, concupiscence is not commonly used in Protestant circles; just as "sin nature" would be considered a misnomer in Catholic theology.

Old 06-23-2022, 03:03 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,932,245 times
- I Think This Question Better Sums Up The Biblical Answer:

*Does God Give Free Will?
No. God Give Commands Not Choices. "Thou Shalt Not".

- God Told Adam & Eve Which Trees To Eat From.
And Which Tree Not To Eat From.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity