Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 11:12 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,980,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
I also support it, so does the United States Of America and the fact is there are more slaves today than any other time in history!

Although I cannot support most of the reasons for modern slavery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It's called Economical Slavery.
And because it exists it is supposed to be right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 11:21 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,826,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Being in debt is a form of slavery. In the old days it was settled through work (bond servant), and today through mortgage contracts. Legal or not, the Bible advice to not allow yourself to be enslaved.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-05-2016 at 11:34 AM..

Old 09-05-2016, 11:32 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,476,059 times
Quote:
If you want a direct answer; it was from people like yourself.

However, after reading for myself:

It appears that the death of Jesus was brought about through human volition, given the political and religious powers of the day. Although at the same time, Jesus was fully aware that his message and what he represented to the status quo, would ultimately lead to a violent death. Thus, his life was an issue in setting the captives free from the established sects of that day. But his death was not divinely foreordained as a penal substitution, whereas, there is no greater love than to lay one's own life down for that of another. Many are fixated on Jesus' death, and will accept nothing but the blood of Jesus, as "they know not, what they do." Although, there is only ONE whose undeniable innocence (not an ordinary victim) was able to change the process of scapegoating (a slaughterhouse religion having a carnivorous diet). And it is a saving act of God; a victory over the powers of this world (men) and a defeat of death, reversing it through his Life and Resurrection. The cross may, indeed be, the centerpiece of the Christian religion, but it is not God's altar, nor does it impute you with some kind of mystical righteousness while overlooking your sin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I asked you, because I wanted your opinion. It is strange so many refuse to answer it, although it is a very simple and honest question.
And I gave you an honest answer, not everything is meant to be taken the way you or others see it. What many do not realize is that they follow a legalistic perspective. Instead of taking any responsibility for their own actions; thoughts and deeds, or allowing others to admit to their mistakes - they merely dish out a form of punishment and call it justice (an eye for an eye). But fear tactics don't work.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
And I gave you an honest answer, not everything is meant to be taken the way you or others see it. What many do not realize is that they follow a legalistic perspective. Instead of taking any responsibility for their own actions; thoughts and deeds, or allowing others to admit to their mistakes - they merely dish out a form of punishment and call it justice (an eye for an eye). But fear tactics don't work.
Yes, you admitted the story of His death was not whispered to your ear by the Spirit, but originated from the Bible.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:44 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,335,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Jesus' death on the cross is the most important event in human history. By it, we are healed.

Isaiah 53:5

But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities;
The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
And by His stripes we are healed.
Quote:
Very important indeed. Not surprisingly many here do not think so. Some ever suggest it was a bit of an accident.
Just so difficult to get past the verses claiming NO ONE CAN DIE for another's sin..rather odd that your god of the OT would say numerous times EACH PERSON DIES FOR THEIR OWN SIN and that no one dies for the sins of another or the sins of the parents are NOT inherited by the children.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 09-05-2016 at 12:06 PM..

Old 09-05-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
I also support it, so does the United States Of America and the fact is there are more slaves today than any other time in history!
Quote:
It's called Economical Slavery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
If you want a direct answer; it was from people like yourself.

However, after reading for myself:

It appears that the death of Jesus was brought about through human volition, given the political and religious powers of the day. Although at the same time, Jesus was fully aware that his message and what he represented to the status quo, would ultimately lead to a violent death. Thus, his life was an issue in setting the captives free from the established sects of that day. But his death was not divinely foreordained as a penal substitution, whereas, there is no greater love than to lay one's own life down for that of another. Many are fixated on Jesus' death, and will accept nothing but the blood of Jesus, as "they know not, what they do." Although, there is only ONE whose undeniable innocence (not an ordinary victim) was able to change the process of scapegoating (a slaughterhouse religion having a carnivorous diet). And it is a saving act of God; a victory over the powers of this world (men) and a defeat of death, reversing it through his Life and Resurrection. The cross may, indeed be, the centerpiece of the Christian religion, but it is not God's altar, nor does it impute you with some kind of mystical righteousness while overlooking your sin.
Quote:
I asked you, because I wanted your opinion. It is strange so many refuse to answer it, although it is a very simple and honest question.
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, you admitted the story of His death was not whispered to your ear by the Spirit, but originated from the Bible.
But what you take from it is not necessarily from the Spirit.
As an example, you believe in eternal torment - do you not?

Old 09-05-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
What did I take from your admission?

Old 09-05-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
What did I take from it?
That pain and suffering appeases a wrathful God.
Because he demands a penalty for your sin?

Old 09-05-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
What did I take from your admission?
Answer the question, Finn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity