Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 09:25 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You mean, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness?

So why don't you guys stand on the notion that there is some great Spirit of Peace? Or Spirit of Goodness?

All I hear is this Spirit of Agape love thing.
And what do you think "agape" is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 09:27 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Some of us fall into the trap of thinking that finding hidden meaning in a book indicates that we are maturing. Its a very "seductive" high.
BINGO! I think my first assessment of hubris was correct, not so?

Old 05-14-2016, 10:30 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You mean, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness?
So why don't you guys stand on the notion that there is some great Spirit of Peace? Or Spirit of Goodness?
All I hear is this Spirit of Agape love thing.
And the greatest of these is agape love (the only kind of love referenced in your Bible as the Spirit of God). God IS Spirit. God IS agape love. These are specifically revealed in your Bible, Vizio. The characteristics of the Spirit of agape love (Who IS God) is described in many places most notably 1 Cor 13, Galatians 5, the Sermon on the Mount, etc. Why do you have such difficulty grasping this????
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And what do you think "agape" is?
I am becoming convinced that "thinking" has nothing to do with what Vizio believes, nate. His dogma and "precepts and doctrines of men" dominate his beliefs rendering thought irrelevant. I fear he will never come to know God as we are supposed to as long as he clings to the OT concepts and denies the power of the New Covenant to know God without words "written in ink."

Old 05-15-2016, 05:44 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,047,928 times
Quote:
Love is the right spirit.
I just don't know what Spirit you are talking about, must surely not be the Holy Spirit because the Holy Spirit convinces of sin, righteousness and judgment. Yet you seem to think that is against the spirit of agape love , so that must be a different spirit. By this we can recognise the Spirit of God, the Holy Spirit that Jesus Christ promised would come. Your spirit, whatever it may be, is not of God.

John 16:8-11 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

Another aspect of the Holy Spirit is that He will guide in all truth, show the things to come and glorify Jesus Christ. He will reveal us Jesus Christ and glorify Him!

John 16:13-15 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

So it's fine you can have your agape love spirit if you don't want to follow Jesus Christ, I am sure satan has a ball with all the new age spirituality, an angel of light is perhaps his favourite disguise. But just don't pretend it has anything to do with the Holy Spirit. Because true agape love, will do just the above: convict the world of sin, righteousness and judgment and glorify Jesus Christ and His mercy.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:32 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
I just don't know what Spirit you are talking about, must surely not be the Holy Spirit because the Holy Spirit convinces of sin, righteousness and judgment. Yet you seem to think that is against the spirit of agape love , so that must be a different spirit. By this we can recognise the Spirit of God, the Holy Spirit that Jesus Christ promised would come. Your spirit, whatever it may be, is not of God.

John 16:8-11 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

Another aspect of the Holy Spirit is that He will guide in all truth, show the things to come and glorify Jesus Christ. He will reveal us Jesus Christ and glorify Him!

John 16:13-15 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

So it's fine you can have your agape love spirit if you don't want to follow Jesus Christ, I am sure satan has a ball with all the new age spirituality, an angel of light is perhaps his favourite disguise. But just don't pretend it has anything to do with the Holy Spirit. Because true agape love, will do just the above: convict the world of sin, righteousness and judgment and glorify Jesus Christ and His mercy.
Amen, now this post is "agape love" ^^^^ , let us speak truth to one another in love as the Spirit of God leads us !
I pray those who have ears to hear, hear what the Spirit is saying, amen, cause His "agape love" is speaking loud and clear !

Old 05-15-2016, 09:25 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,387,904 times
Quote:

Conviction of sin is something that seems very important to you. Outside of Christian circles, conviction of sin is called a conscience. Unless a person has some sort of mental disorder like a sociopath, they have a conscience. So, the majority of us experience what Christians call the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives. Hopefully that puts your mind at ease and will free you up from thinking you have to do it. You can stop trying to convict the world of its sin. That's a burden you do not need to bear.

Last edited by Pleroo; 05-15-2016 at 10:35 AM..

Old 05-15-2016, 09:25 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
I tell my kids

"having a human as the focal point is better than a book". I do like the Hindu images in that they get the point across that this religious stuff is all metaphorical at this point because we just don't know enough. But we live in the USA; so it is what it is; and we use what we have too

Old 05-15-2016, 10:02 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,387,904 times
Quote:
Some of us fall into the trap of thinking that finding hidden meaning in a book indicates that we are maturing. Its a very "seductive" high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
BINGO! I think my first assessment of hubris was correct, not so?
Pride is one of the things it feeds, but not the only, imo.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:40 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No, Rbbi, it is you who are confused in your idolatry of the written word.Not so:

John 14:26 King James Version (KJV)
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Where is our remembrance on the outside of our body, Rbbi??? It is on the inside within our consciousness.

1 John 2:27 (King James Version)

27But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.

It is clearly an inward anointing, Rbbi.

The HG came UPON their heads, just as it did mine, and I was slain in the Spirit. That's an outward anointing, and the reason for the pattern of the ark of the covenant to have wood covered over in gold. There is an inward anointing as well, just as the ark had gold on the inside, too. The HG does the works, and part of the works above are what you are describing. Peace

Old 05-15-2016, 12:44 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,068 times
Quote:

AMEN. You cannot separate His love from His righteousness, or it's NOT HIS love. What they espouse as love is little different from seeing a child getting ready to get hit by a mack truck, but they don't say anything or do anything to prevent it, because they "love" it and want it to have it's own path. CRUNCH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity