Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2008, 12:48 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times

Advertisements

Chicago has lost some of its population over the years. Do you all think its just a fluke and population will go back up or do you think people are moving away to warmer climates for good? I personally hope it goes back up and I think it will, it will just take a little time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 12:55 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
people dont move bek of the weather. they move for safety.
when the crime keeps on and the cops and populous are in denial, folks move.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Not only the crime but schools. There are basically two kinds of families left in Chicago: those who can afford to send their kids to private school, and those who can't afford a better option than where they live right now. ("Let's see... if I make it out of Roseland and settle in Dolton, are my kids and I going to be better off? Probably not... might as well stay put.") That and a smattering of new young families who are not quite ready to give up the city life and are still trying to work out if they can get little Brantley and little Kayleigh into a good school. Then when they realize they have to fight a bureaucratic maze to get them into the small handful of good city schools and they can't quite swing putting them in private schools, they beat a path right back to the suburbs they had erstwhile sworn off for life -- the same path beaten down by hundreds of thousands of middle-class families before them.

Sure, there's been lots of residential construction over the last 15 years, but take a look at the kind of units are being built: mostly Condos and some townhouses, generally not conducive to "family" living. So bigger households are moving (or have moved) out and smaller households (singles, DINKS and retirees) are moving in. That doesn't make for a population boom.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:00 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
The Chicago metro area is growing, albeit slower than the Sun Belt. And there really isn't good evidence that the city is shrinking either. The Census Bureau is notoriously inaccurate with their estimates. In 2000 they were predicting a big population loss for the city, and the population actually went up by over 100,000 residents.

We really won't know what direction Chicago is going until the 2010 Census data becomes available.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:27 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
I agree with Drover. I've of the age where a lot of my friends are starting to have kids and have begun to think about educating their kids. Being that I do not necessarily run with a wealthy crowd, there have been quite a few discussions on how to handle schooling, I know a few people who have moved out to inner-ring burbs somewhat sheepishly (they don't have the money for private schools, got lost in the CPS maze or didn't know the right person, and the public schools in their neighborhood are not good), but I understand why.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:11 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
I think Chicago will see slow and steady population increases, but not a boom. As others have noted - improving CPS is a big part of growing the population of Chicago. I'm hopeful that there will be improvements and have seen a number of elementary schools in areas like Lincoln Square and Logan Square improve due to increased parent involvement and management changes.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:55 AM

The largest factor that drove the Chicago (proper) population increases in the 90s was Hispanic immigration. If that pipeline of new residents is shut down, the city will lose residents. There are only so many empty-nesters and young people without kids to go around.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
...and are still trying to work out if they can get little Brantley and little Kayleigh into a good school.
Brantley and Kayleigh? Priceless! What about Madison and Dakota?

Old 09-18-2008, 08:58 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
With all of the gentrification and Mayor Dailey's ever kind act of moving the crime and those types of people to the suburbs, i would say yes. Chicago is primed for a population explosion.

Old 09-18-2008, 09:03 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
I agree 100% regarding schools. I don't feel unsafe at all in the city and if I fled to the suburbs that wouldn't factor into my decision at all. Paying two tuitions at the Lab School though in addition to property taxes is painful. Occasionally I consider just packing up and moving to Naperville -- I would have a lot more disposable income. For most people I know this is the key issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago