Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 20,106 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking about moving to Chicago. We are looking for somewhere to rent in the city that is safe, clean, and reasonably priced. He would prefer to move somewhere in the city where most Filipinos reside so that our children can learn their language and culture without moving to the east or west coast. Where exactly in the city might that be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 01:11 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,209 times
Honestly, there are Filipinos, but they seem to be scattered about the city. There's no one concentrated Filipino neighborhood, IMO. I'd say most reside on the north side. The Rizal Center is on Irving Park & Clark. Maybe they can help?

http://www.faccrizalcenter.com/page/page/994818.htm

Old 02-06-2009, 01:29 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,737 times
they are scattered. i had several good Filipino friends growing up. one was a really cute cheerleader (who had amazing dance moves) whose body was so perfect, and she so cute, that she ended up in a Twista video. the other was my friend Jon who was an awesome Goalie in soccer. Problem is, they weren't centrally located. They just kind of got in where they fit in.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:15 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
There's a small population concentrated in Lincoln Square -- and a yummy Filipino restaurant called Isla Pilipina. Their lumpia are to die for.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:27 PM

2 posts, read 21,286 times
as a filipino i can attest to the fact that there is no filipino town or little manila section of chicago. many filipinos, as has been stated previously, live on the north and northwest side of chicago as well as the north and northwest suburbs as well. as a teenager (mid 90's) i remember many of the more established filiipino families lived in the sauganash, edgebrook, lincolnwood (suburb), skokie (suburb) area. also many of the new immigrants fresh from the philippines used to live around the little korea corridor along lawrence avenue. but as they became more established they spread out.

my local catholic church on the northwest side does seem to have a greater filipino population compared to when i was growing up. and actually the filipinos at my church got together and donated a new sign to the church and slapped on a sign that reads "courtesy of simbang gabi project." also if you are a member of iglesia ni cristo there is a church around the corner of fullerton and naraganset with 3 filipino stores within a 2 mile radius so that is a good indicator of a filipino community.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:59 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,462 times
Like everyone said, there isn't really a place with filipinos concentrated.

But back in the days I remember there was some around Lawrence ave.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:06 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Honestly if you are looking for Filipinos in the Midwest you'll have better luck in Kansas City. There's a substantial population there.

There's at least one Filipino in Wicker Park though (My SO)

Old 02-06-2009, 05:48 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,381,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
And I am glad... What is wrong with being an American??? And the American Culture??? Can't for the life of me figure why people reject it....
Not impossible to be both, buddy.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:32 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,462 times
What is American culture?

Old 02-06-2009, 07:29 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
What is American culture?

I'm trying to figure that out myself. America so diverse that it have many culttures packed in one country of over 300 million. Its not like Japan, where the culture is very defined, since its a homogenous country of mostly ethnic Japanese. Plus each state is like a seperate country, where the term United States in not all that accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago