Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,762,918 times

Advertisements

I only went to college at U Iowa and spent some time there a few years after and still visit on occasion. I lived in Chicago as well at one point.

You are one of those Chicago is the end-all-be-all. Believe it or not, that mentality is much stronger in cities like Des Moines, Madison, or Omaha so I don't even really notice it in this forum.

Even if someone is an "Iowa boy" - how is an "Illinois boy" any different? It's not.

There are years where Illinois outproduces Iowa in corn by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,686,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Is that why the Mormons founded the town?
And the Chicago Gangsters ran them clear out of the state. (Back to Utah)
Quote:
What is with certain people on this thread who think that when Harrier asks a question he is "making a point"?

Harrier asks what makes Chicago a world class city - and he is met with defensiveness.

He asks a question about the founding of Las Vegas and instead of receiving an answer, is challenged.

Is this behavior a Chicago trait or something?
Rparz thinks Harrier is a bit upset that he knocked LA down a few pegs. Only one city in the country that Chicago looks up to, and that is New York -- but that could be said for any city in the world.
Quote:
Harrier hasn't been inside the Chicago city limits, but he has been in "Chicagoland".

Harrier isn't "speaking about Chicago", he is only asking questions.

So far only you have provided any good answers.

Apparently you are offended by Harrier omitting Chicago from his list of 5 world class U.S. cities but including Las Vegas.

That is your problem.
Obviously Harrier has been getting a little too much sun and it's affecting his critical reasoning skills.
Quote:
All that is great and Chicago should be rightfully proud.

What is Chicago the international center of - what makes it #1? New York? Finance and business.
See what Harrier is getting at?

There should only be a few cites that can call themselves world class.
Quote:
Where do people dream about making it big in the finance world and getting a seat on an exchange floor?

Chicago or New York?
Depends what you trade. Newsflash, there's no overlap between the Chicago Merc and NYMEX. Oh wait, who OWNS Nymex? Oh yeah, a little group named the Chicago Mercantile Exchange. And options trading -- there is zero done in NY, it's all in Chicago. Chicago is a trading town. NY has the hedge funds and Banking, but Chicago has the traders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Chicago takes pride in being above LA in this ranking (although anyone who has visited both cities would know it's obviously flawed and LA is the more global international city).

LA doesn't even know or care it exists, they just know LA is so much cooler (not the weather) it's irrelevant.
Right, because a huge suburb with terrible traffic and no public transit infrastructure really reminds you of London, NY or Hong Kong.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:00 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,989,799 times
Quote:
You are one of those Chicago is the end-all-be-all. Believe it or not, that mentality is much stronger in cities like Des Moines, Madison, or Omaha so I don't even really notice it in this forum.
Actually, I'm not. Chicago isn't even my favorite city in the US, let alone in the world but thanks for trying. You have no idea who I am or what I like and dislike other than "Oh he likes Chicago! and food!" It's not even in the top 3 places in the world for me. Top 5 or 10 maybe. Chicago is a great city though. Its too bad you couldn't experience it, but **** happens.

In the end though, I know what I'm talking about with LA, and I know what I'm talking about with Chicago. People in LA care that Chicago exist as they do come and vacation in Chicago.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:11 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,057,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Stop posting in third party about yourself.
Why?

Quote:
And if you're ill-informed enough to place Las Vegas above Chicago as a world class city, just stop posting altogether.
Why are you hostile to differing opinions?[

Quote:
Also, your "American Taliban" signature is offensive.
"American Taliban" is the nickname that Harrier's political opponents in the P&OC forum have given him.

It is indeed offensive, which is why Harrier wears it as a tongue in cheeck, ironic badge of honor in order to irk his detractors.

The status "worst poster on City Data forum" is there for the same reason.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I only went to college at U Iowa and spent some time there a few years after and still visit on occasion. I lived in Chicago as well at one point.

Even if someone is an "Iowa boy" - how is an "Illinois boy" any different? It's not.

There are years where Illinois outproduces Iowa in corn by the way.
California has both Iowa and Illinois beat when it comes to agriculture.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Right, because a huge suburb with terrible traffic and no public transit infrastructure really reminds you of London, NY or Hong Kong.
Suburb of what?

Chicago is just a suburb of New York.

What - it takes about an hour to fly between KORD and KJFK?

Old 07-22-2013, 06:21 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,686,090 times
Quote:
California has both Iowa and Illinois beat when it comes to agriculture.
Hence it being the 'Land of fruits and nuts.'

Old 07-22-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Suburb of what?

Chicago is just a suburb of New York.

What - it takes about an hour to fly between KORD and KJFK?
ROFL, good one. Actually it's 2 hours... The distance between Chicago and NYC is about 800 miles. Similar to the distance between San Francisco and Seattle or Vancouver. Or Miami and Raleigh/Durham.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:23 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,762,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Actually, I'm not. Chicago isn't even my favorite city in the US, let alone in the world but thanks for trying. You have no idea who I am or what I like and dislike other than "Oh he likes Chicago! and food!" It's not even in the top 3 places in the world for me. Top 5 or 10 maybe. Chicago is a great city though. Its too bad you couldn't experience it, but **** happens.

In the end though, I know what I'm talking about with LA, and I know what I'm talking about with Chicago. People in LA care that Chicago exist as they do come and vacation in Chicago.
I never claimed to know you either, but it's obvious you're a steadfast defender of Chicago. All midwesterners are like that regarding their city when they're taking a break from their ice cold beer, frozen dinner, and watching their football or baseball team day in day out.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I never claimed to know you either, but it's obvious you're a steadfast defender of Chicago. All midwesterners are like that regarding their city when they're taking a break from their ice cold beer, frozen dinner, and watching their football or baseball team day in day out.
Yep, I'm not one of those people, but thanks for lumping me in with them. I don't want to start this up, but you're extremely close minded if you think all midwesterners are like that. That culture is also hardly unique to the midwest. If you really think that, then you haven't traveled around the US as much as you think. You can find the same **** in just about every region of the country. Go to Boston and get back to me on that one and tell me how they're any different.

And I defend Chicago because I've actually been around the world and seen a lot of things, and have an idea of where this city actually stands. Hence why it's not my favorite city in the world, but it's one of my favorites.

By the way, experiencing what's at a university in Iowa is hardly a way to judge the entire midwest. It's obvious that's what you're doing. You know the funny thing? I too went to university in Iowa and I too made that sweeping generalization against midwesterners my first two years there. Then I met some rather intelligent, open minded, very deep and "versatile" people who completely changed my mind about it and realized I was no less close minded than the people I would point fingers at in my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago