Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:28 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,984,604 times

Advertisements

For a slightly different perspective, I thought this article was quite interesting.

Welcome to Cook, One of America’s Safest Counties

A lot of those tourists are probably more at risk of injury in their home counties than while in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 04:44 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,232,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
However,the purpose of the thread was not to highlight one mugging; it was to highlight an ongoing trend of increased muggings on the Mag Mile.
Wrong. There is no significant increase in muggings (or any crimes) on Michigan Ave. The stats for River North show a decline from 2000-2005 and some slight variations since then, with numbers trending down this year. Same is true of the Loop. You are mistaking media coverage for actual facts and stats.

Like others, I spend plenty of time on Michigan Ave. and have never felt threatened or seen anyone get mugged. I never even met anyone who's been mugged or seen it happen, and I have at least a dozen friends (including my wife) who are on Michigan Ave. every single day for work. I walked down it for 12 years every day myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
If I have an "agenda" with my posts, its to focus on getting the city to start hiring more police and bring back the policing tactics that worked well enough for the city, that allowed shootings and crime to fall big time since the 90's.
So what are those tactics? Do you want to bring back Jody Weiss? Homicide numbers went up in 2012 due in no small part to the fact that Chicago went for 8 months without an effective Police Chief, and then had a few months of transition time. McCarthy seems to be doing a decent job of bringing crime numbers down. While I'm all for more cops on the street it definitely isn't the only answer. Both LA and NYC have fewer cops per person and by square mile than Chicago does and seem to be doing a much better job.

Last edited by Attrill; 07-25-2013 at 05:26 PM..

Old 07-25-2013, 07:20 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,594,053 times
Deputize some of the locals. Train them. Organize them. Give the residents a chance.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:21 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,688,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
And glitter is something we're supposed to aspire to? Some of us call that tacky. You probably think the Kardashians are worthy of attention.
I dunno about you, but I'm too focused on NY to worry about the crazies out in LA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree. Actually we had a very important researcher at my work the other week from San Jose/San Francisco. She showed up in shorts and a tshirt to our meeting. While that's bad fashion, it still doesn't say anything about her importance to various areas, how much money she has (probably a lot), etc.
The fashion is terrible out here. (Unless you're in the city (SF) flying the rainbow flag) Well, I shouldn't say it's terrible. It's just non-existent. Along with social skills. I have no doubt these are some of the brightest people in the country here -- they most likely didn't win any popularity contests either.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:25 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,688,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
You act as if another region is superior in someway. How is a midwest culture any better or worse than anywhere else in the U.S.? A lot of people on CD make it seem like one region is supposed to be superior than the other because of money, fame, and glamour. I just never got that. Isn't every region supposed to be good and bad in it's own way?
Now Chicago epitomizes Midwestern culture? Seriously? Have you ever been to Peoria? Anywhere in Indiana? Hell, most of Chicago doesn't even speak english, yet this is the epitome of midwestern culture? Okay, if you say so.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:01 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,345,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
LA is also partially hated because as much as people don't want to admit it, and although you probably won't see them, it's a city that caters to movie stars and entertainment industry. Regular people are better off in Chicago, Dallas, Houston, etc.

It's easy to feel insignificant there, knowing the people who starred in whatever movie you most recently watched probably live there.
I'd wager that the vast, vast majority of L.A.'s nearly four million residents are "regular people".

I see no reason to "feel insignificant" in L.A. unless one is oneself an aspiring actor or movie star, but not quite making it.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:03 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,510,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Now Chicago epitomizes Midwestern culture? Seriously? Have you ever been to Peoria? Anywhere in Indiana? Hell, most of Chicago doesn't even speak english, yet this is the epitome of midwestern culture? Okay, if you say so.
How in the world did you get that out of my post? Where did I say Chicago epitomizes Midwestern culture?

Old 07-26-2013, 12:20 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,345,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Jimmy likes Elaine.
George likes his chicken spicy.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:11 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,851,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Every major city has crime issues and leaving your phone or wallet clearly exposed in your back pocket in any crowded environment is just plain stupid. We travel all over downtown Chicago with our kids and have not had any issues so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about.

Maybe the Chicago Ghost Tours should add a segment for the mystery mobs that appear and wreak havoc in the scary streets of downtown Chicago?
If I go to the bank - I don't put the cash in a wallet- in fact my wallet is for carrying ID...most days I do not carry it..but if I am carrying cash - I keep it folded close to my skin in a deep front pocket. Even in Toronto there is the possibility if a desperate person sees a wallet- they are like a rat that sees a big chunk of cheese - why show the rat the cheese? Yes- I did mention that I thought having to be street wise was shameful in a civil society...BUT...where I live it is very civilized - but it's not perfect...You have to carry yourself in a manner that shows you are street wise and not a push over.

I may be older and to some appear a potential victim - but to most unsavory characters...they can tell that you have been around the block....that you just might make the idea of robbery or assault an unattractive prospect...You mess with me...I might just f*** you up.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:17 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,851,753 times
Sometimes America seems too rough and other times it is just too liberally soft. If say a group of teens in Moscow were to rob a couple of old people...The robbers know one thing...if they are apprehended by Russian cops, the penalty is immediate. Cops there discourage youth from being jerks - they beat the living crap out of them on the spot - then lock them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago