Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 05:41 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,053,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
One thing I like about Europe, even in smaller cities like Triste, Italy (similar size to Des Moines), you see the status quo dressing like Parisians or Milanese. Similar style to what you see in Manhattan, except better.
That is one thing I like about Europe and the middle east. People do care about this thing, but know how to do it without spending a fortune on it and making it look natural. Even the first time I went to Istanbul, I was absolutely shocked at how many clothing stores exist there. It's mind boggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 05:45 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,769,868 times
It's there, but you have to specifically seek it out in certain clubs. It's a very small minority, and a very limited style. Dressing up in a button down and dress pants does not equate fashion. It always has to be something under the umbrella of classic conservative. Which makes sense, given it is the midwest.

Imagine if guys started tucking jeans into boots (besides hipsters) in Chicago (basically normal all over Europe, and common in LA), they would just be stared at like they landed from Mars. That's what I mean by actual fashion.

In LA, the "cool" t-shirt look with jeans in boots is common. In addition to that Euro soccer player look. Those sort of styles just don't make it to the midwest. Have to be dressed like you're going to the library, or you're just a weird hipster to the status quo.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:51 PM

It really depends on the cut, your body type, and how you wear it (along with a few other things). I have friends who wear designers from countries like Korea very well and they look like movie stars in them, but I see other people who are semi out of shape who have standard suits where it does not look fashionable at all. I know what you mean, but I don't think all button down is characterized by conservative. It depends on a lot of things such as above, and also other stylings such as the cut of the neck. Again, it's about many things. This reminds me of how Abercrombie came out that they ban black, because they think it is too formal, when it depends on other factors.

About the style you're describing, no. I actually see that look you're describing in Chicago now. I have friends who do it in fact - it's their normal style. I know exactly what style you're talking about, and I have done it before myself. I'm not saying that the majority of people do it, but if you really think this type of thing doesn't exist in Chicago, then you truly have not really been out in various areas in very long. I can go to UK Village or Wicker Park and point out people daily who do exactly what you said above. This has been pushed by higher fashion houses and retailers for the last handful of years and I can remember even 4 years ago here seeing displays in windows of this exact style.

Now, if you were to tell me these styles hardly ever make it to areas like Iowa, I'd agree with you, although I have seen it here and there in some areas. Especially with the internet now, it's easier to both "discover" and purchase new styles that may not be familiar to a particular area, but Chicago? Chicago is very susceptible to it. While many people here are definitely not fashionable, many are and it's eased by the fact that there are a good number (for a non NYC US standard) of fashion houses with boutiques in town.

Last edited by marothisu; 07-24-2013 at 06:00 PM..

Old 07-24-2013, 06:05 PM

Again, I'm sure it can be found there, but you would think there would be more of a fashion-forward culture in a city as big as Chicago. It's more similar to Des Moines in this aspect when it should be closer to LA.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:18 PM

It depends on what neighborhood you're talking about. Some neighborhoods, I agree with you on. Some neighborhoods though are definitely more fashion forward than that. It's completely false to say that all of Chicago is "like Des Moines" when it comes to fashion. As far as women go, all over the city here they're much better dressers than guys. When I went to college in Iowa, I was amazed at how many "big tshirts" (Me and one of my friends from LA would call them that) were worn by women. I rarely, VERY RARELY see this in Chicago, even in the half working class neighborhoods. The guys in Chicago on average are further behind for sure, but there are many fashionable ones. Especially down in the greater area of where I live - and the number of luxury high rises being built is ever flowing, which will increase this even more (not everyone will be fashion forward, but they are more fashion forward than others on average).

Old 07-24-2013, 06:54 PM

College guys rarely dress well to begin with, although some at University of Iowa did for their age bracket, when AF was the brand to wear. Express was called Structure back then, and I remember seeing a lot of that too.

Interesting thing, now most of these guys probably don't care, and cared more back then.

The midwest just isn't fashion-forward to begin with. Minneapolis surprised me a bit though, it didn't seem nearly as straight-laced as Chicago.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:14 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,979,361 times
Quote:
It's there, but you have to specifically seek it out in certain clubs. It's a very small minority, and a very limited style. Dressing up in a button down and dress pants does not equate fashion. It always has to be something under the umbrella of classic conservative. Which makes sense, given it is the midwest.

Imagine if guys started tucking jeans into boots (besides hipsters) in Chicago (basically normal all over Europe, and common in LA), they would just be stared at like they landed from Mars. That's what I mean by actual fashion.

In LA, the "cool" t-shirt look with jeans in boots is common. In addition to that Euro soccer player look. Those sort of styles just don't make it to the midwest. Have to be dressed like you're going to the library, or you're just a weird hipster to the status quo.
More proof that this thread has become absolutely ridiculous.

End it.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:59 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,102,114 times
Quote:
That is how Harrier dresses when he goes to the library.

The Los Angeles Public Library (Central Branch) is a national treasure.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:00 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,496,389 times
I'm sorry but this Harrier person is hilarious!

Old 07-24-2013, 08:04 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,102,114 times
Quote:
Of course, LA is not all glitter, the majority of it is not. But it's not like people visiting make it a point to go check out Watts.
The Watts Towers are a tourist attraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago