Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 09:52 PM

30 posts, read 110,057 times

Advertisements

Thanks to a couple of you, who provided me with information in which to better enjoy a short visit to your city.
I flew into O'Hare, found the blue line, had to ask a doorman if I was going the right direction to to the Art Institute. Made it to the Art Institute just before opening, amazed at the line. The Institute was amazing, needed more time. I left to try and find pizza for lunch, couldn't find it. Disappointed at the amount of chain restraunts on Michigan Ave...decided to walk in the direction of the water and it started raining and I became the only person on the sidewalk, wandered into Grant Park(?) ended up going back to the AI for lunch at the cafe because I was starving and wet. Continued my tour, loved, loved, it. Walked across the bridge to Millenium park, cool reflecting ball for photo ops. Fun watching the kids play in the fountains. Sleep deprivation and beginings of a migraine cut my day short and I rode the train back to O'Hare checked in at the Hilton, and fell asleep till wake up call for early am flight. I really enjoyed riding the "El" seeing the view of diff. neighborhoods out the window. Saw enough of your city to warrant another visit, but want to venture out of the tourist area and into some neighborhoods. I will check back here when I plan my return. Meantime, thanks and I'll beee baaack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 10:38 PM

328 posts, read 1,397,105 times
Default Awesome, and a follow-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerShi View Post
Thanks to a couple of you, who provided me with information in which to better enjoy a short visit to your city.
I flew into O'Hare, found the blue line, had to ask a doorman if I was going the right direction to to the Art Institute. Made it to the Art Institute just before opening, amazed at the line. The Institute was amazing, needed more time. I left to try and find pizza for lunch, couldn't find it. Disappointed at the amount of chain restraunts on Michigan Ave...decided to walk in the direction of the water and it started raining and I became the only person on the sidewalk, wandered into Grant Park(?) ended up going back to the AI for lunch at the cafe because I was starving and wet. Continued my tour, loved, loved, it. Walked across the bridge to Millenium park, cool reflecting ball for photo ops. Fun watching the kids play in the fountains. Sleep deprivation and beginings of a migraine cut my day short and I rode the train back to O'Hare checked in at the Hilton, and fell asleep till wake up call for early am flight. I really enjoyed riding the "El" seeing the view of diff. neighborhoods out the window. Saw enough of your city to warrant another visit, but want to venture out of the tourist area and into some neighborhoods. I will check back here when I plan my return. Meantime, thanks and I'll beee baaack.
Glad you had a great time here, and I just wanted to comment on one of your lines about "lack of chain restaurants". When I first moved here, that was one of the things I instantly picked up in this city - aside from some huge nationwide Fastfood chains (McDonald's, Taco Bell) and sandwich chains (Panera, Subway, Quiznos), Chicago is similar to NYC in that there are a lot more local/regionally based restaurants to eat in. There certainly is not an Applebee's or Chili's anywhere near me!

If you end up back here in the same area, I highly recommend Cafe Bacci at 20 N. Michigan Ave. I used to have lunch here often when I worked in the area, and it filled me up in a somewhat moderately priced meal.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:47 AM

223 posts, read 757,808 times
Quote:
The Institute was amazing, needed more time. I left to try and find pizza for lunch, couldn't find it. Disappointed at the amount of chain restraunts on Michigan Ave...decided to walk in the direction of the water
Next time you are nearby, you could try Pizano's or Exchequers, both have decent pizza.

Pizanos is 2 blocks north and 1 block west from the Art Institute entrance (Madison and Wabash), whereas Exchequers is 1 block west and 1 block south (Jackson and Wabash)

Old 07-18-2009, 07:47 AM

13 posts, read 54,992 times
AT25, I don't think there was a comment about the lack of chain restaurants. I took the poster's comment to mean (s)he was disappointed that there were *so many* on Michigan.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:36 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
A few blocks away at Madison and Wabash there is a decent pizza joint and it is not too expensive. I just don't recall the name of it - Pizzanois or something like that. Next time just ask somebody that works there- they know where all the food joints are.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:37 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandre View Post
Next time you are nearby, you could try Pizano's or Exchequers, both have decent pizza.

Pizanos is 2 blocks north and 1 block west from the Art Institute entrance (Madison and Wabash), whereas Exchequers is 1 block west and 1 block south (Jackson and Wabash)
That's the place I was thinking of! Not so pricey either.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:44 AM

30 posts, read 110,057 times
Yeah, actually it was the existence of Subway, McDonalds, Bennigans, etc that disappointed me but honestly I probably just walked in the wrong direction to find something different. I was hungry and hurrying. I'll go back, and find some local places to eat. ;o)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: