Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:24 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,984,919 times

Advertisements

Charlotte News - Local News Charlotte | Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotte.com/news/story/594433.html - broken link)
News | Video On Demand | Local News | News for Charlotte, North Carolina | WCNC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 09:37 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Charlotte News - Local News Charlotte | Charlotte Observer (http://www.charlotte.com/news/story/594433.html - broken link)
News | Video On Demand | Local News | News for Charlotte, North Carolina | WCNC.com
I'm sorry - I have little sympathy for this vicitm. If you keep $150,000 worth of jewelry in your dresser at home you are just STUPID.

"150,000 in jewelry stolen from home -
A woman says thieves used a pillowcase from her own bed to clean out her jewelry box, taking $150,000 worth of rubies and diamonds."

Old 04-24-2008, 09:40 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,560,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I'm sorry - I have little sympathy for this vicitm. If you keep $150,000 worth of jewelry in your dresser at home you are just STUPID.

"150,000 in jewelry stolen from home -
A woman says thieves used a pillowcase from her own bed to clean out her jewelry box, taking $150,000 worth of rubies and diamonds."
Sounds like just an insurance claim to me!

Old 04-24-2008, 09:46 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,984,919 times
I agree that leaving your jewelry out is an open invitation. But what concerns me is how this person was targeted. Did she recently have work done on her home? Was she wearing the jewelry in public & bragging about it, or is this more fallout from the jewelry store whose clerk was feeding information to the thugs? I guess whatever the reason was it does reinforce the need to have a safe for valuables like jewelry.

I feel sorry that she lost her Mom's jewelry. The sentimental value greatly outweighs the actual value of the pieces. I don't think that she ever thought her home would be targeted.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:50 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,038,269 times
Default Wow that is random

did she really just have it out or in a jewelery box in a closet? I don't think the amount she had at home was odd..I mean it is her house she should be able to have it in her hosue..we do keep a lot of stuff in a safe but if you wear that stuff all the time putting it in a safe is annoying everyday.

I bet they knew her.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:51 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,562,181 times
Okay. I am sorry. Anyone who is so ignorant as to leave even $1500 worth of jewelry in their bedroom is just asking for trouble.

What idiot does not leave stuff that valuable in a safety deposit box?

And now to waaaaa waaaaaa about feeling violated. I hope she reads this forum, cause my message is: You are exactly the reason the rest of us are having to arm ourselves and think twice about our comings and goings these days. People like you are why the rest of us are being targeted, cause the thugs have figured out there are goobers living in the upscale areas who are EASY PICKINS'!!!!!!

People are wringing their hands b/c crime has come to South Charlotte! Well, HELLO OUT THERE - your neighbors have attracted them as surely as throwing chum to sharks. It was inevitable!!!

Keep your jewelry in a safety deposit box, people. Lock your house. Turn on your alarm. Close your blinds. PAY ATTENTION!!! Just cause you live in a gated community - do you honestly think the thugs out there can't figure out how to get a sign for their econoline van that says Happy Day Cleaning Service????????

Last edited by brokensky; 04-24-2008 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 04-24-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I agree that leaving your jewelry out is an open invitation. But what concerns me is how this person was targeted. Did she recently have work done on her home? Was she wearing the jewelry in public & bragging about it, or is this more fallout from the jewelry store whose clerk was feeding information to the thugs? I guess whatever the reason was it does reinforce the need to have a safe for valuables like jewelry.

I feel sorry that she lost her Mom's jewelry. The sentimental value greatly outweighs the actual value of the pieces. I don't think that she ever thought her home would be targeted.
That's it. False sense of security. No one thinks their house will be targeted but we all have to assume it CAN BE.

Yes, sentimental value. Yes, ease of access. I am sorry. NO SYMPATHY HERE. I don't keep anything here that would be worth diddly melted down.

Yes, I think someone targeted her. No, I don't think it was from wearing it in public - everyone has figured it out - we can all wear stuff like looks like a canary diamond - we just buy it from QVC in the form of a cubic zirconia.

My theory is . . . inside job.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:09 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,038,269 times
Default I don't know

probably an inside job but I can say my parents have kept way more then that amount of jewelery in their home and never ever had a problem...just a lot more thugs that are more daring down here! I know plenty of their friends have at least a million dollars worth of gems in their place and again no problem and peopel know they have it. As I said before and will proably forever you really just have to watch everything and live totally differently down here. Flame away..haha!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
probably an inside job but I can say my parents have kept way more then that amount of jewelery in their home and never ever had a problem...just a lot more thugs that are more daring down here! I know plenty of their friends have at least a million dollars worth of gems in their place and again no problem and peopel know they have it. As I said before and will proably forever you really just have to watch everything and live totally differently down here. Flame away..haha!
ROFL - no one is gonna flame away. I am glad your parents have been able to live this way, but honestly, my family and the wealthy people I grew up around were insistent that we all learn how to keep our assets (including important papers) in locations away from our home. Sure, I know plenty of people who have in-home safes. But the problem w/ that is . . . why do you think home invasions are so popular? They discover the safe and put a gun to the homeowner's head to get the combination to that safe. They break in w/ people there so they can exchange terror for intelligence. Why look for the car keys when the owner is there to hand them over? Why pass up a debit card when the owner is there to reveal, under duress, the password?

This is simple stuff. Safe or no safe, YOU are not safe w/ valuable jewelry at home.

Unless you or your parents have been the victim of crime. . . then you have lived your lives being 100% unscathed . . . until you do become a victim of crime . . . and then you are 100% a victim. Do what you have to do to make yourself less of a target.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:22 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,811,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
MJ, that's just not true. If people you know, including your parents, have been foolish enough to do something like this and never had a problem with theft then they have been just plain lucky.

We all know Charlotte has been having a crime wave of sorts, but it is not the norm - nor do I believe it will continue to be this way. I for one am getting really fatigued by your constant hammering on Charlotte as such an unsafe place to live. This is a WONDERFUL place to live - a place that many others only wish they were lucky enough to live in. You most certainly do need to remember that this is a large city now, with city type problems, but you DO NOT need to "watch everything and live totally differently down here" - this is not Iraq for Pete's sake. By continuing to post the way you do you are doing nothing but losing credibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte