Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 04:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times

Advertisements

Okay - I am not trying to raise concerns about crime, but I felt you all would want to know about this. In addition, please note what I have bolded - I added the boldface - b/c I have said in the past - please please keep your garage doors closed, keep your house locked in the front and sides if you are in the back working in the yard, and notice who may be following you when you arrive at your home. I have been told in the past that the things I suggest are "sad" and "people can't live that way" but again, this is the advice that law enforcement gave me over two decades ago. Good safety habits are something we should all have. So please read this and note that it appears this was a crime of opportunity. Please don't make the same mistakes at your home.

Today at 10:00 A. M., a burglary / robbery occurred at a residence on Ballantyne Crossing Avenue. This is in the Ballantyne Country Club Community on the east side of Johnston Road.

The description of events as provided to us by the victims is as follows:

The female resident (wife) arrived home after visiting the Wachovia Branch Bank located at Ballantyne Commons and Elm Lane. She parked her car in the garage and entered the residence. She left the garage door open. She left the door from the garage to the house unlocked as well because her husband was doing yard work at the rear of the house.

After being in the house for approximately 10 minutes, the wife emerged from the bedroom and was confronted by the suspect in the hallway holding a handgun. The suspect immediately asked the victim where her jewelry was located. The victim told the suspect that her jewelry was in her bedroom. The suspect walked the victim into the bedroom at gunpoint. The suspect took three boxes of jewelry and started toward the door leading to the garage.

The male resident (husband) had just entered the residence when he saw the suspect approaching him. The wife yelled to her husband that they were being robbed. The husband engaged the suspect in a physical struggle. The wife informed the husband that the suspect had a gun so the husband stopped fighting the suspect. The suspect then ran out of the house, got into a car, and fled the scene. Neither of the victims was injured.

We are asking residents to be on the look out for a white Acura with a “New York Yankees” novelty plate on the front and a temporary dealer tag on the back. The tag begins with the numbers 219. If you see this car, call 911 or Crimestoppers @ 704 334-1600. The suspect was described as a black male, 6 feet tall 205 pounds, short hair, approximately 30 years old. The suspect was wearing a matching brown shirt and pants. The shirt was a collared, button-up short sleeve style. The victims described the clothing as being similar to medical style "scrubs".

We have two theories as to why this residence was targeted.*One possibility is that*the suspect followed the wife home from the bank. Logically, this seems less*likely since the suspect did not ask for money. The other possibility is that the*suspect saw the victims’ open garage door from Johnston Road. The residence is adjacent to Johnston Road and the garage faces Johnston Road.

While this crime is alarming, it is important to note that incidents of armed burglars confronting residents are rare not only citywide, but especially for the South Division. There have been no similar cases in the South Division this year. Although we are still up for the year in residential burglaries, we have experienced a 50% downtrend during the last two weeks.

That being said, we still strongly urge you to keep your garage doors shut and your doors locked. This is especially true if your house is near a major thoroughfare. Even if you are doing yard work in the back of your house, shut the garage door after removing your equipment. I realize that this is inconvenient but it’s goes a long way to make your home less inviting to a criminal.

I will update you with any progress in this case.

Best regards,

Captain Rod Golding
South Division
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 04:40 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,784,774 times
Thanks Ani for the report. How scary for that couple. I think I would be in therapy for the rest of my life if that happend to me. I'm glad the husband backed off once he heard the guy had a gun. I don't know if I will ever get used to looking over my shoulder all the time. It really ticks me off that we have to live like that because of
%#& holes like this.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:33 PM

616 posts, read 1,752,204 times
Very good points. When I became a homeowner my boyfriend (now DH) who seldom yells or gets upset, really lectured me (OK, he yelled at me) on keeping the doors and garage shut and locked when I was in the yard doing gardening. None of this go out the front and come in the back and out the side and before you know it your home is accessible from every angle. Your post is an excellent reminder!

Old 06-05-2008, 05:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
And please don't go into the house if you see something suspicious! One of my patients went into her house after noticing leaves on the floor and bed and opened her closet. A man jumped out at her and the only thing that saved her from real harm (like rape) was that she was still talking to her friend on the cell phone. Be aware of how you left the house/porch/garage. It should still be in the same condition when you come back!

Old 06-05-2008, 05:42 PM

It is something we all have to work on reminding ourselves about. We take the dog out for walkies several times a day and we have had to really get stringent about how we leave the house . . . and we BBQ out in the back . . . always gardening back there . . .

We just gotta make sure we all do things to keep ourselves safe. I once had a Sheriff's deputy tell me - When someone is cruising around, looking for a home to break in and get in and out of quickly - if your house looks secure, the thug will just move on. Don't "invite" them to come rob your house.

Well, that makes sense to me. At least we can do what is reasonable to encourage thugs to "move on." Hopefully, that will work!!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
And please don't go into the house if you see something suspicious! One of my patients went into her house after noticing leaves on the floor and bed and opened her closet. A man jumped out at her and the only thing that saved her from real harm (like rape) was that she was still talking to her friend on the cell phone. Be aware of how you left the house/porch/garage. It should still be in the same condition when you come back!
Exactly!!! I mentioned in an earlier post - if you leave out the side door that leads to your garage, make sure it is locked or at least closed tightly. If you come home and it is open, get out of there fast - do not go check to see why the door is open.

We just have to pay attention. These are safety rules for a lifetime. Just learn to be cautious and you will be safer no matter where you go. This does not mean being anxious. Just be in charge of your environment.

Last edited by brokensky; 06-05-2008 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: edited word/awkward sentence

Old 06-05-2008, 05:47 PM

175 posts, read 546,470 times
It is a sad day when you have to bolt yourself inside the house during the day and lock your husband out in the backyard when he is gardening so that someone doesn't stop by and rob you. :-(

Old 06-05-2008, 05:51 PM

252 posts, read 390,991 times
All of you beautiful women(+Hubbies) need to enroll in a Hangun Safety Course...If I lived closer I'd take you all to the range and bring along a combination of *Israeli Desert Eagle 50cal pistols and a few Sigs & H&K's...Get your Concealed Carry--Refuse to be a Victim!

Old 06-05-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htmlfamily View Post
All of you beautiful women(+Hubbies) need to enroll in a Hangun Safety Course...If I lived closer I'd take you all to the range and bring along a combination of *Israeli Desert Eagle 50cal pistols and a few Sigs & H&K's...Get your Concealed Carry--Refuse to be a Victim!
Hi there, HTML! Thank you for the offer, LOL, but I think a lot of us have actually taken hand gun safety courses. But a trip to the range would be a good day out, regardless.

I have to say . . . in this situation today, seems to me the worst thing that could have happened is if the homeowner would have had a handgun readily available and aimed it. The last thing one wants is a shoot out at OK Corral in the middle of the house . . . especially since it appears this thug just wanted the jewelry - and he did leave w/o accosting anyone, thank God.

Last edited by brokensky; 06-05-2008 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-05-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro2008 View Post
It is a sad day when you have to bolt yourself inside the house during the day and lock your husband out in the backyard when he is gardening so that someone doesn't stop by and rob you. :-(
Petro, really really, do not get bummed out. Honestly, I have been doing this stuff for a long time and we just don't even think anything about it anymore. Just b/cms routine.

Think of it this way. Thugs and thieves are not the only reason you should keep your garage door down. I love my neighbor's cats - truly do - they are adorable - but someone's cat got into my garage one day and, well, sprayed. I had to throw things out. So really . . . you don't want that. Best to just keep the garage door closed - and not just b/c of thugs.

And as far as doors locked, if you have toddlers, you have to do that anyway or they may wander outside . . . so you get used to locking up the doors so your child does not sneak out when you turn your back for three minutes. So truly - it is not that big of a deal. Just takes a few more moments and some planning - and soon - it b/cms routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte